Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-13, 09:19 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
For me at least, doing the same kind of workout every day, regardless of the type of workout it is, leads to overuse injuries.
I agree with that. I need variety too, and it seems like walking outdoors is the only thing I can do daily without getting any injuries.
I had one Essentrics workout for a while but never really used it, so I can't comment on their method.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 10:02 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
For me at least, doing the same kind of workout every day, regardless of the type of workout it is, leads to overuse injuries. Even when I do Leslie almost every day I seem to get some kind of pain (usually in my knee or hip flexors). I think that there's a misconception that since CS is gentle that it's OK to do it every day. But that's not necessarily true or healthy for every one's body. I'm so glad it works for Jackie (and it obviously works for Miranda and Sahra!) but I find that my CS/Essentrics "sweet spot" is 2-3 times a week. That frequency gives me all the wonderful benefits of the CS principles without any overuse injuries.
Our bodies were made to move, but I don't think we were ever meant to do the same movement over and over to the exclusion of all others. I tend to go overboard when I find something I love. I did an episode of CS Season 8 five days a week for a couple of months...maybe longer (?) with no problems. Eventually I just missed other things, mentally as much as physically. I've added back in some things that I felt I was missing with CS. So I've never had an overuse injury with Classical Stretch. I still do it a few times a week...just not five. And I still love the way it makes me look and feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I agree with that. I need variety too, and it seems like walking outdoors is the only thing I can do daily without getting any injuries.
I had one Essentrics workout for a while but never really used it, so I can't comment on their method.
Pretty much. I think we really were meant to walk every day. Anything else can become overkill after a while.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 10:38 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

I posted on the other thread that my knees started bothering me out of the blue - I'm not 100% sure if it is CS related or something else - but CS was something I had been doing a lot of recently. But, I will say CS did wonderful things for my back - really improved my flexibility and also reduced pain and stiffness. The knee issue - not sure if it is related or not - it could be. I was also doing a lot of Yoga Booty Ballet, too. So it could just be a combo of too much of the same adding up to cause stress. I had never had knee trouble previously.

In general, I'm very prone to over-use injuries and I need a lot of cross training. So, while I will still do CS, I don't think I will do it daily. But, I also can't do Leslie every day or yoga every day or Barre every day. Sooner or later, the repetitive motions will bother me.

In the new year I'm thinking about a rotation that is 2 days barre, 2 days CS, 2 days Yoga, one wild card day and cardio added in most days - but different forms of cardio. I can't walk, run, bike, or do Leslie every day.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 10:41 AM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I might be too dull and thick to respond properly, but I can't tell the difference between the two. Classical Stretch and Essentrics seem to have all the same moves.

I have the Essentrics with Miranda and the Essentrics with Sahra. I feel Sahra gives better instruction, and I can see her form better than I can with Miranda. I think Sahra might be taller than her mother, and that might be why I can see what's working in her body when I can't see it with her mother. But it all looks like CS to me.
I'm not certain on any of this....but I have read before that classical stretch and essentrics are the same thing. Classical stretch is simply the name used for the tv show. Not sure I'm wording that correctly, and I'm sure the experts can clarify...but essentially I got out of it that they are the same, just the name difference because of the tv show.
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 10:48 AM  
JAusten

So actually it seems like there are not a lot of people who have experienced injuries using CS. I'll bet if we ask the same question about any program or any instructor we would get more negative replies than those mentioned here.

How many have ever been injured using a Cathe workout? Barre? P90X? Strained a muscle doing yoga? Etc., etc.

I kind of feel bad that I started this thread because it carries the tone that CS is an injury prone workout when it actually doesn't seem to be. I'd hate for anybody to pass on ordering it and miss out on it's benefits because of it.

I do agree that we need variety and plan to work in other things as I see the need.
JAusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 10:49 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeven View Post
I'm not certain on any of this....but I have read before that classical stretch and essentrics are the same thing. Classical stretch is simply the name used for the tv show. Not sure I'm wording that correctly, and I'm sure the experts can clarify...but essentially I got out of it that they are the same, just the name difference because of the tv show.
I read a lot in the beginning of my Classical Stretch obsession. My understanding is that Miranda felt the name Classical Stretch appealed to an older crowd and they came up with Essentrics to appeal to a younger crowd. The new Essentrics workouts are led by Sahra, so that probably helps too. The signature moves are the same, though.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 11:05 AM  
sunday

I am one of those people who enjoy doing the same type of workout daily, and I've never really had problems with other things. I did Ashtanga daily for more than six months, and that is, literally, the same 70+ poses, a routine that never changes. The only problems I had during yoga training were self inflicted from pushing myself too hard during some poses. I did Leslie daily for about nine months, about 100 miles a month, and also never had issues. Same with Pilates. I did barre for 10 months daily and also never had problems.

CS is a wonderful program! I just wish I could solve the mystery of why I have gotten so incredibly tight after focusing on it for three months, and why I tend to injure myself with it eventually. I find it's just not enough stretching for my lower body, which is already (normally) very flexible.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 11:19 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAusten View Post
How many have ever been injured using a Cathe workout? Barre? P90X? Strained a muscle doing yoga? Etc., etc.
I've hurt my back doing everything that you mentioned plus others. We can be hurt doing anything, even reaching for toilet paper.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 11:26 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H View Post
I've hurt my back doing everything that you mentioned plus others. We can be hurt doing anything, even reaching for toilet paper.
So true! Most recently, I hurt my back shutting the refridgerator. A few weeks back I hurt my neck pulling a sweatshirt over my head. Stuff happens and it doesn't always make sense.

I am forever grateful to Miranda and Sahra for developing their method as it has been so beneficial to me. After hurting and developing injuries doing other dvd programs and a kickbox class, switching to CS being the mainstay of my fitness program was the best thing ever. I dropped my baby weight and slimmed down noticeably. More importantly, I wasn't hurting and running to the chiro or massage therapist. Everyone needs to listen to their body; what works for one may not for another.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 11:34 AM  
dela

Come to think of it, I think I have had some sort of nagging type injury nearly every time I have ever followed a full rotation for more than 2 months, except STS.

But Cathe LIS was a bad one with my back, Body Beast I did something to my leg or groin, Turbo Fire caused feet and shin pain that only went away when I stopped for a while, Tapout XT, created this awful pain in my left shin under my knee that seems to happen with too many on the ground MMA type moves, and even my beloved Drop 2 Sizes, I tweaked my back during one of the Metabolic workouts and had to lay off for a couple of weeks.

CS has not created a problem for me, I only do it about 1-2 times per week now, but was doing about 3-5 episodes for 6 months, but I didn't do too many repeats and used both Miranda and Sahra's workouts.

JAustin, I would not feel bad for starting this post, it's a fair question and I think because a program like this is designed to help pain and injury, it may seem more surprising that it can also cause some of the very things some may be resolving with these workouts. But for many it seems it's just all about balance and variety!
dela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, injuries, injury prevention