Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-13, 06:05 PM  
JAusten

Overuse Injuries from Classical Stretch?

Just wondering... in the "How are you finishing out the year?" thread, a couple of people mentioned that they may have developed overuse injuries doing the Classical Stretch workouts. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

I've been doing one (or more) of these every day for a couple of weeks and I feel great! Should I start mixing it up a little?
JAusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 06:25 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Well, I have been using CS exclusively for a few years now and never developed overuse injuries. I'm curious as I know people have said it hasn't been a match for the body, just like everything.

I did recently start doing DDP Yoga, just to mix it up a bit.

I also throw in Ellen or barre occasionally.

I'm curious to hear people's responses!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 07:11 PM  
sunday

I am one of those people, unfortunately.

I have been doing only CS since September, so three months. In the last few weeks I've re-developed swollen knees. I also, during a standing Season 8 episode a few weeks ago, pulled something over and down my right hip that is still very sore. I went for a 90 minute massage on Saturday, and my therapist said she's never seen tight - as in bad - glutes like mine before. And I was always super loose in my butt and hips until just recently. She spent 40 of my 90 minutes on my butt alone!

I had always insisted that CS simply did not incorporate enough lower body flexibility work for me, but I decided to give it a try but discovered I was right. I was always exceptionally flexible and now am so tight in the lower body it's like I've never touched my toes in my life. I was always able to sit in a wide straddle and put my forehead on the floor and lie there, for example. For me, CS is definitely not enough in that way. OTOH, CS did loosen up my upper back, but the trade off is not worth it.

As much as I love CS, it just isn't good for me apparently.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 07:27 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I am one of those people, unfortunately.
I'm sorry, Deana! I know you have liked CS. What a bummer! I know that there is no one-size-fits-all program. Still....how disappointing!

Jackie
Old 12-16-13, 08:51 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

hmmm. and i was pretty certain i was going to place my very first CS order this month during the sale.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 08:53 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
hmmm. and i was pretty certain i was going to place my very first CS order this month during the sale.
I swear I've been doing CS every day for years...I am thinking at least 3 years. It's been great for me.

Now TA and me, that's a different story. Ouch.

Jackie
Old 12-16-13, 09:13 PM  
Messe

I injured my previously healthy back earlier this year while trying to work my way through Classical Stretch season 9. It's taken months to get back to anything vaguely resembling my previous fitness level as a result. But at least I no longer have the classic Niagara Falls reaction whenever I hear Miranda's name.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 09:32 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I'm sorry, Deana! I know you have liked CS. What a bummer! I know that there is no one-size-fits-all program. Still....how disappointing!

Jackie
I know; I was really enjoying it too! It seems that, eventually, injuries always happen to me when I do CS. I really like the Essentrics Barre workout, though, and will incorporate the floor work in to my Pilates. I also really love Miranda's Legs and Butt workout on the Vintage collection. Those have never bothered me, so at least I can do those.
Old 12-16-13, 09:33 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I injured my previously healthy back earlier this year while trying to work my way through Classical Stretch season 9. It's taken months to get back to anything vaguely resembling my previous fitness level as a result. But at least I no longer have the classic Niagara Falls reaction whenever I hear Miranda's name.
I have also had back injuries with CS, though those were with my previous attempts. I believe it's a great program for the right bodies, though!
Old 12-16-13, 09:43 PM  
Irish Eyes

For me at least, doing the same kind of workout every day, regardless of the type of workout it is, leads to overuse injuries. Even when I do Leslie almost every day I seem to get some kind of pain (usually in my knee or hip flexors). I think that there's a misconception that since CS is gentle that it's OK to do it every day. But that's not necessarily true or healthy for every one's body. I'm so glad it works for Jackie (and it obviously works for Miranda and Sahra!) but I find that my CS/Essentrics "sweet spot" is 2-3 times a week. That frequency gives me all the wonderful benefits of the CS principles without any overuse injuries.

"When it gets tough, we say YES!" Jari Love
Irish Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, injuries, injury prevention