Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-13, 07:56 PM  
daisyduke

Please list rotations (complete or incomplete) and your results

I love rotations and am looking for something new. I'll go first!
I have done so many rotations... I will include them all in order... my diet is usually pretty similar (i always follow ww):

First intro to exercise - the Firm rotated cardio and strength daily- lost inches not weight but then stopped losing, no definition gained

Slim Series - excellent results - leaned out, nice definition, lost weight, leg definition (muscle separation in leg), arm definition

Chalene Extreme - got bigger muscles, no weight loss, i remember some shoulder definition

P90X - more definition, nice abs (closest ever to a 6 pack), shoulders and neck muscles got bigger (my old shirts stopped fitting), no leg definition even with adding in extra cardio, results seemed to slow once i added in harder cardio and took out yoga. i think tony was on to something there... able to do several pushups on toes and even unassisted pullups

STS - got even bigger!!!! ugh. stopped during meso 3. not good for my legs at all

Tracy Anderson - leaned out and got small in the arms, legs, and abs, all bulk disappeared in just a few weeks, totally amazed!!!!! thought i stopped making progress because i didn't have much definition in my shoulders, so did

Body Beast - BIGGER immediately did not lean out, did not get smaller, gained weight and figured i needed a lot of cardio to get smaller so tried

TurboFire - enjoyable but didn't finish rotation, though I would get better results from ...

Insanity - hated it, dreaded everyday, no results at all then ran back to

Tracy Anderson as quickly as possible - i did all of meta and got to omni continuity 1.2 level 3. then i just needed to do something. the dc got on my nerves.

Slim Series - nice indents on my butt sides which i lost from TA because she does no squats or lunges, nice definition in arms again (still in the middle of this rotation)

Please post yours!! I love hearing about rotation results.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 08:36 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Looks like you've done your best to single handedly support Beachbody!
I can't really participate in this thread because I've truly never finished a rotation or even got close. Certainly sounds like you've had a variety of results. Also sounds like Slim Series has worked exceptionally nicely for you.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 08:42 PM  
daisyfit

I've had a great year doing rotations only.
X train- got great abs, lovely arm definition and lost a few pounds

insanity Asylum 1- incredible cardio endurance and great leg definition

insanity asylum 2- more strength in my upper body and stronger abs

insanity- ( presently completing) I can complete all the workouts without taking any breaks and I think this is due to the above three rotations. I'm also in as good shape as when I did a fitness bikini competition without any serious dieting.
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 06:49 AM  
Cher

I’m so curious to hear what others results are! I’m not the best person to talk to about rotation results since I haven’t really been able to stick with any rotation for the whole recommend time except STS.

P90X – This was the first official rotation that I had ever done. I was all excited about it. I did really great for the first 4 weeks. By week 5, I missed my “fun” cardio and switched up the cardio routines, by week 6, I was totally sick of the weight work and dreaded having to do that chest and back dvd. I did them anyway that week, and by week 7, I quit. However, just doing P90X for the 6 weeks, I got great results in my upper body! I went from doing knee push-ups to toe push-ups and even being able to do some of the various other push-ups that were in the workouts. My lower body was another story. No favorable results at all. I even felt flabbier and definitely lost some of my muscle tone. (I had been doing mainly Cathe lower body workouts prior to this).

STS – Again, nice results in the upper body. I noticed my lower body tighten up a little and my pants fitting better. I Did gain some nice upper body strength. I managed to stick with the whole rotation…..probably because every workout was different and I could do whatever cardio I wanted. However, those weight workouts were long. I mainly saw my results during Meso 1 & 2. Meso 3 was a bit tougher to stick with because I had a hard time going really heavy on lower body without a squat rack and (at the time) really hated those Plyo Legs workouts….plus, I was bored with Meso 3 since most the workouts are the same.....just different rep counts. I didn’t really see much results with Meso 3 either. I think if I ever do STS again, I will just do a rotation with Meso 1 & 2 and possibly just shorten them a little bit.

Slim Series – I really wanted to be able to do this one since I’ve most my weight in my hips and thighs but barely made it past the first week out of boredom.

Tracey Andersen Meta Hips – Again, really wanted to do this one to but only lasted 3 days. Doing the same workout just bored me to death and TA just got on my last nerve by that 4th day doing it I Joni O’d the workout and quit after the first 5 minutes.

Blissology – I’m not really a yoga person but do like Eoin’s PY4H a lot so thought I’d give this rotation a go after reading all the threads on it. I did it for a week and although I enjoyed it, I just missed doing cardio and I never seemed to have time to both so gave up after a week. (I've been wanting to get UY but realistically, I know I will never be able to stick to a rotation).

XTrain – Really like these workouts but haven’t tried a rotation yet. I hurt my hand around the time they came and have been trying to work around that. I’m hoping to do this rotation in the near future.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 08:20 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I like doing rotations too. Here are the ones I remember:

P90X-Most dramatic results since this was my start back into working out regularly after having all my babies. I lost 3 inches off my waist in 6 weeks and lost the remaining baby weight. My whole shape changed doing P90X. I gain muscle very easily in my upper body and therefore ended up with bigger arms and shoulders than I liked. My legs never bulk up so just noticed nice definition.

CLX-did immediately after P90X and no major results (had no weight to lose at this point). My arms and shoulders continued to get more defined and when I look back at photos from this time I'm not thrilled with how big my arms and shoulders were (as I said above I gain muscle in my upper body very easily and my upper body is naturally wider than my lower body).

Ballet Body Periodization System-loved my results from this. Long, lean muscles. By the end of the 6 months I was looking for a break though since it's tough!

P57 Monthly Challenge (not a system but I thought I'd add it!)-I am a big P57 fan but didn't enjoy doing P57 every day with no added cardio. I did this last January and failed to lose the few holiday lbs I gained. I forget what I switched to right after this month but whatever it was helped me lose those few lbs within a week.

TA Meta Abcentric-started this program twice but ended up with the same right shoulder/back pain both times (I think from all the work on all fours). I had no problems with all the plank work in BBPS but something about Meta doesn't agree with me.

Ultimate Yogi-Can't say I've completed the full 108 days yet but I just did day 98 today!! I've seen great results from this program and am so happy I bought it. I didn't have weight to lose but lost 2 lbs in the first month and my waist (problem area) was noticeably narrower! I haven't seen any striking results since then but have maintained my upper and lower body definition (maybe have a bit more triceps definition now). I am getting a bit burnt out from the program at this point and would never do the full 108 again!! I will however plan to do month long rotations of UY again (probably with 4 days UY, 2 days cardio per week).

That's all I'm remembering right now. Once I'm done my UY rotation I'm planning to take a month of doing whatever I feel like (probably some Ballet Body DVD's and the new Essentrics) and then I'll start Dream Body!
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 12:13 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

First started out doing classic Firms years and years ago. Looked amazing (whenever I was remotely disciplined about my eating), but of course, I was in my early 20's...

Later acquired many videos, developed total exercise ADD. Results always depended on how disciplined I was with my eating.

Then did P90X. Was totally bored/miserable. Couldn't wait for it to end but felt like I had started it so had to finish it. Became appreciably stronger but also puffy. Didn't lose weight, largely b/c I found the heavy lifting made me ravenously hungry so I had difficulty being disciplined with my eating.

Tracy Anderson Meta--ugh. Really tried to like it. Hated it at the beginning. At one point even sort of liked it, but developed plantar fasciitis from all the dance cardio, amongst other aches and pains.

Physique 57--did monthly challenge last July for the first time. LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Lost pounds and inches and it healed my bum hip and plantar fasciitis. I've gained back the weight I lost because I haven't been... wait for it... disciplined with my eating! But I still do it several times a week. It is my workout holy grail.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 12:45 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I've only completed three formal rotations of any significant length -formal as in, I drew up a specific fitness plan on a calendar mapping out the next 4-6 weeks, wrote down exactly what I was going to do, then did it.

About eight years ago, I did a six-week weights-only rotation with mostly Cathe workouts (Pure Strength, Pyramids, MIS, Leaner Legs, Slow & Heavy, etc). Gained two pounds but lots of strength, and use my highest weights ever on exercises like biceps curls and shoulder work, my weakest area.

In the fall of 2012, I did the Brazil Butt Lift flat butt rotation to work my butt, obviously, but also to re-start after a layoff. The workouts were a blast, I was never bored, and though I didn't mind going on to other workouts, I kind of missed Leandro's upbeat self every day. Rotation really did lift my butt and thinned out my legs right above the knees.

After BBL, I did one mostly-weights rotation (averaged 4 days of weights, 1 cardio, lots of stretching) for four weeks with a one-week recovery. The weights work was almost all Amy Bento's Slo-Mo Strength splits with STS Total Body once a week. I gained marked amounts of strength and got a lot of compliments on my 'weight loss' even though the scale did not move all that month. Good rotation for 'reshaping' my body but not for fat loss, and I did lose a little cardio capacity.
Old 05-10-13, 01:03 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I have completed only 2 formal rotations.

Power 90: I liked this. It is super simple, and at 4 AM, which is when I was doing the workouts, simple was all I wanted. It had weights, cardio, abs, and even a little yoga. I definitely got stronger and more defined.

Rushfit: Great rotation. I really enjoyed it. I had to modify some things because I have bad knees. My results were improved balance, a stronger core and more endurance. This is functional fitness at its best, and you only need a mat and two dumbbells.

I have bailed on a few more:

CLX: I lasted about a week. Couldn't take Chalene, and the concept didn't work for me--weights that were heavy enough to challenge my lower body were too heavy for my upper body.

Brazil Butt Lift: Ghastly. I didn't even make it thru one workout.

Ultimate Yogi: I lasted a month. It's a very thorough and well-designed program, but I couldn't handle Travis' constant talking, and my shoulders were taking a real beating even with the Mountain Pose practice, which I love and still use. I definitely improved my strength, balance and flexibility, and recommend it to people who are looking for a power yoga rotation.

My takeaways:

90 days is the absolute longest time I will do a rotation. I was very glad to do other things once Power 90 was over. Even if I hadn't bailed on UY for other reasons, there is no way I could do a program by the same instructor for 108 days. Rotations of 30, 45, or 60 days are way more palatable to me. I'm looking into Blissology because I love yoga, and it is a 30 day rotation.

I like rotations with workouts no longer than 45 minutes. Power 90 and Rushfit were perfect in that regard.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 01:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Tracy Anderson as quickly as possible - i did all of meta and got to omni continuity 1.2 level 3. then i just needed to do something. the dc got on my nerves.
what is dc?

thank you for taking the time to list out all of your results. this info is very useful.

this is just off the top of my head since it's been a while since i did any series exclusively:

Firm 90DR (classic): did it twice, early in my fitness journey (i was in my mid-30s) & lost 16# over an 18 to 24 month period. maintained the loss for several years.

i've also done a mock Firm 90DR where i used Firm & non-Firm workouts but following the spirit of the rotation.

slim series: did 2 rotations - slim training and a modified rotation subbing in running for cardio. got down to pre-wedding weight! by this time, i had given birth to my 3rd child too.

P90x: once as prescribed, then i did a modified Tony rotation, combining it with all of his other P90 series (masters, PHH, P90, GBG). tweaked my eating a bit more, and stayed lean, didn't bulk. my body tends to respond well to weights.

CLX: got leaner about mid-way. i switched to "all bands" for this series because halfway through, my back started hurting.

Project You: didn't gain nor did i lose, but just maintained and had a lot of fun. i still use these workouts since they're pretty short and dread-free.

current rotation is Running: preparing for a 10K - first one in 16 years! i used to be a runner and didn't do anything else for exercise, other than the occasional weight lifting in the gym.

writing this out has been reflective for me, and leads me to believe i should follow my own advice and revisit!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:02 PM  
edensmom

Jeannine- "dc" is dance cardio.
Allison, your avatar pic is really cute!

Formal rotations:
Barry's Bootcamp Fat Blaster set after having one of my babies. Increased stamina and endurance, got stronger too (was able to increase resistance.) I got a lot of compliments/comments on how toned I looked. I followed the rotation to the letter.

Slim Series, again after having one of my babies. The best results EVER. Incredible incredible thigh slimming with noticeable definition. My pants were falling off within about a week to 10 days.

Metamorphosis Hipcentric. Twice! I quit both times by level 6. No noticeable improvements for me, in fact I think I got a little mushy when using just the Meta workouts. The first go-round I tried doing it as my only workout, the second I used the muscular structure as an add-on. That was a bit better, but for me it is just really boring after a while and hard to stick to.

Gym Styles. Easy to stick with since I could do whatever else I wanted the other days. I got stronger for sure, and definitely looked a bit more lean.

Curvalicious, Flavia Del Monte's paper program. My abs looked amazing doing this. She works them every day. Other than that, I was already lean so it was more just maintaining my previous results and meeting performance goals (ability to perform certain exercises, increase weights/number of reps performed, that sort of thing.)

Mostly I like to use a rotation as a template so I don't feel too boxed in. However, I have noticed when I have NO plan whatsoever, I kind of falter.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 90 day rotation, results, rotation, rotations, slim series success, successful weight loss, the firm success stories