Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-13, 09:48 PM  
jaburke66

I got the bike!! Already broke it in tonight.
Old 01-13-13, 09:49 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaburke66 View Post
I got the bike!! Already broke it in tonight.
Congratulations!!! Are you happy you bit the bullet
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 09:51 PM  
jaburke66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
Congratulations!!! Are you happy you bit the bullet
Thrilled! It's so smoooooth and quiet. And comfortable. Michelle already jumped on it for 45 mins, too. Loves it! Thanks for helping me "just do it!"
Old 01-13-13, 11:22 PM  
Jags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaburke66 View Post
Thrilled! It's so smoooooth and quiet. And comfortable. Michelle already jumped on it for 45 mins, too. Loves it! Thanks for helping me "just do it!"
Congratulations!

Wow! and ^high fives^ to Michelle for her 45 minutes, that's awesome.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 01:33 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
YAY, Rhonda, I hope you thoroughly enjoy your spin bike.

I'm in the minority re spinervals. Maybe it's because I regular take spin classes with a couple of instructors who are also tri/cycling coaches? My beef with them are:

1) The music sucks, at least on the ones I've heard. And there's no attempt to match base cycling cadence with the music, something that makes spinning more enjoyable.

2) Coach Troy tends to teach to the individuals in the class. The videos are are like a document of a class. He often seems to be unaware of the video exerciser. So a lot of the class, for example, consists of him looking at individual's HR and calling those out. Who cares?

3) Some of the spinervals seem to have sections where you jump off the bike and do wickedly fast squats. Not sure what that's about, but it's tough to do with road shoes. Of course you can skip these sections, but when I would try to workout with the dvd, I would lose focus in these sections.

Since I mostly spin in classes or to my own music, I don't have any DVDs to recommend. I do occasionally use an mp3 program that one of my spin instructors put out.
I put my earphones in and play my own music when I use Spinervals. However with the amount of cycling I'm doing in teaching classes and training outdoors, they are gathering dust.

I quite enjoyed Cathe's offerings - they are so different from how I teach (for example I think the 'running' with hands in position two is ridiculous. If I wouldn't be caught dead doing it on my road bike, it doesn't make my class...oh except the arm lines from "Gangnam Style" lol

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 01:35 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Rhonda, I personally find the Spinervals catalog to be a little overwhelming. Hopefully someone will jump in with specific recommendations; I did buy the Ray Lewis 2-pack when that went on sale in November, and I really liked these! I will say that I, like Ray, stay on the bike during the plyo intervals, LOL.

I can also second a lot of the workouts Damselfly recommends; she introduced me to several of those vendors, and the workouts are awesome! I love the Epic Rides and Endurance Rides in particular - they offer a really nice blend of training intervals/ride types.

I will also say that I personally found cycling to be REALLY hard at first. It is very quad-intensive work and it pays to take the time to work up to the longer rides. I rode for 15 minutes 3x/week at first, then gradually increased over the course of a few weeks. I've had my bike since October and now I regularly do the 70- to 90-minute rides; they tend to be my favorite ones.

Anyway, good luck! I hope you love your bike!
Marie, you should be focusing more on the glutes/hamstrings. If your quads are copping a caning, I'd check bike position, most importantly saddle height and set back.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 04:22 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I am not a Spinervals fan either. My favorite spinning DVDs are the ones by Johnny G's company, with my fave being Spin & Slim---it's perfect for a beginner, and you can grow with it over time.

I have the Johnny G spin bike, too, and it's great.
Me too. Spinervals were not for me but I love the Johnny G collection of videos. There is even one that Johnny G leads and it's one of the most inspirational DVD's I own.
Old 01-14-13, 03:23 PM  
RedPanda

This thread wouldn't be complete without a mention of Cycling Videos Online. They are real-time virtual cycling workouts, mostly shot in Colorado. The guy who produces them has taken his fans' input on board, so the more recent volumes have better production values. I love the trance music too!

These are DVD-Rs, and some of the newer titles are also on Blu-Ray.
Old 01-15-13, 08:48 AM  
jaburke66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
This thread wouldn't be complete without a mention of Cycling Videos Online. They are real-time virtual cycling workouts, mostly shot in Colorado. The guy who produces them has taken his fans' input on board, so the more recent volumes have better production values. I love the trance music too!

These are DVD-Rs, and some of the newer titles are also on Blu-Ray.
LIKE, LIKE, LIKE! It's great to have all these in one convenient thread!
Old 01-23-13, 10:47 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Gregg is my favorite spin instructor at my gym! He recorded another program a couple of weeks ago so look out for that.

I think mp3s are are great for spinning.
Looks like his new one is out now:

itunes.apple.com/us/album/cycle-master-with-gregg-cook/id591922767

Preview sounds good.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
group rx, music off option, power music, power music group rx, spinning, spinning.com, virtual cycling