SpiritYogi

Tilak Pyle
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 03:33 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I think you're wrong; Blissology is a system. Blissology is not as well-rounded as UY (and that's not surprising since it has 6 workouts vs. UY's 12), but each one is different, and if you follow the rotation, your week has a "shape" and a pretty good balance to it, both in terms of body parts worked and intensity level. Blissology also has daily meditations that fit each day's theme, and some supporting "lifestyle" materials (the Bliss Commitments).
I completely agree, Blissology is a system, and with the opening & closing sequences with music, & the daily meditations, it has a very nice feel of "let's spend a week in Bali doing yoga every day" (although if I did that, I wouldn't spend the rest of my day working etc.!).
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 06:16 AM  
kitty12

I think of Blissology as a program or system as well, just smaller scale. The DVDs each have a focus - strength, side bending, back bending, restorative, and general. Plus the meditations (which I really liked). I am thinking of doing a Blissology week next week. I think the initial program was intended to be used a month.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 08:44 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I'm not familar with the yoga systems but I like Ellen Barrett - her Yogini was pretty much beyond me - even the modifier needed a modifier for me! - but I enjoy her workouts and her talks and just overall like her.
Old 06-09-12, 08:55 AM  
Jags

I agree with:

Tony Horton. The yoga sequence in p90x2 is very nicely done, it is worth the price of the set alone. I think he and his friends could make a balanced program. He already includes Yin poses in his yoga flow, but he could do a separate dvd of just Yin. I could also see him doing a warm-Bikram style yoga practice, an Ashtanga practice, a slow-flow Vinyasa practice, all sun salutations, and all standing/balance. I would buy it sight unseen today.

I also agree with everyone who posted:
Tilak Pyle
Zyrka Landwijt
Maral Hadidi

I am always looking for transparent, ego-less yoga instructors. Any suggestions?
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 10:08 AM  
laurajhawk

I don't believe this is the kind of "system" we're talking about here, more a progressive educational program maybe, but does anyone here have Nirvair Singh's Complete Course for Beginners? Nirvair is a kundalini yoga. I have three of his individual DVDs and like them all a lot.

I've never been too tempted by this, because I'm not a beginner, but I love Nirvair and got to thinking about this set again today, maybe as a result of this thread. Now I see it is on sale at http://kundaliniyoga.net/Kundalini/dvds/dvd-sets ($99 plus $5 shipping, for 6 DVDs which contain 12 one-hour programs). There's also a sale price for the mega-set which contains, I think, everything Nirvair has ever done.

He's definitely an ego-less instructor!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 10:13 AM  
Stephanie_B

@Laura I don't think it's what most people are talking about, but yes I had it (lent it out) and still have all his DVDs I think that are not part of the system. My HUSBAND actually liked his personality, but he isn't into Kundalini yoga at all. I love Nirvair.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 10:28 AM  
sherry7899

Laura, a VF'er recently posted about one of the practices in that set. She really liked the practice, but said the picture/production quality is not very good.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 11:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Tilak Pyle
How fabulous would that be?

I think yogis like Tilak and Erich are too free-form to put out a system. They're such warm and fuzzy anti-systematic kind of guys.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 11:30 AM  
missmomus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
I am always looking for transparent, ego-less yoga instructors. Any suggestions?
Check out doyogawithme.com if you are ok with streaming/downloadable videos. The instructors that I have tried there are all very straightforward and down to earth.

Or Mark Laham perhaps?
missmomus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parayoga.com, systems, yoga