Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-13, 05:36 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I saw that too and got all worried! It sounds like if you catch it BEFORE that happens, then it can be prevented. My toe hasn't crossed over at all. I can't imagine wearing Vibrams though. The Mizunos I'm wearing now have really built up arches, which help keep my toes from hitting the ground so much. I feel like anything lower would make me feel like I was slamming that sore spot into the floor! Did you ever have that sore spot on the bottom of your foot? Do you still?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 08:45 AM  
Erica H.

I have this now, too. I broke my foot 8 weeks ago and I don't know if I got this from walking wrong on my foot trying to avoid stepping on the fracture or not.

With any activity, I get a big swollen painful lump in the ball of my foot - just under my second toe.

I am SO discouraged. I was very good while my foot was healing from the fracture and I feel like I am starting all over again with a new injury. I can't even walk without swelling/pain.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 10:58 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Erica, have you seen a podiatrist? I kind of thought I should see a PT too. I ended up getting the custom orthotics (because I met my deductible this year with other stuff) and they do make it possible for me to run. Still, that area gets swollen if I'm on my feet a lot, probably because I only wear the orthotics when I run! I'm afraid of wearing them out too quickly.

It is pretty manageable--I still take an antiflammatory sometimes after a run, and ice my foot when it swells.

Let us know what happens!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 11-18-13, 11:22 AM  
Erica H.

I saw a podiatrist for my broken foot, but not for this yet. I have been in contact with a podiatrist on a sports forum (I do believe he's legit) and he thinks it was caused by the change in gait when I had my walking boot on.

I have terrible insurance and I don't trust my podiatrist's advice. I really just used him to read my x-rays and tell me if I had a fracture and then if it was healing at my follow-up visit.

The online podiatrist told me to ice, get metatarsal pads, wear supportive shoes all the time and, of course. rest the area. So, that's where I'm at now. Not much different than 8 weeks ago when I broke my foot.

Erica
Old 11-18-13, 11:39 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I can definitely tell I walk differently when my foot is swollen. And I think when it was really swollen, it caused my hips and knees to be misaligned and get sore.

I honestly don't completely trust the podiatrist either. I did see two, and they both said the same things--get orthotics, stretch my calves a LOT (I have very high arches, and that causes tightness in my calves which affects my feet), ice when my foot gets swollen. All of those do help. The orthotics are insanely expensive, and if I hadn't met my deductible, wouldn't have gotten them. The podiatrist did also sell me some off the shelf orthotics (these, I believe) which I wear when I do indoor cardio and they do seem to help. I have some really nice running shoes (my Mizunos have the most arch support) but they're still not as stiff as the orthotics.

I was VERY against them until I talked to many different people who all said they helped. It seems the problem won't ever completely go away, it's a matter of figuring out how to manage it.

I have seem in some places that you can also tape your foot for support. If you can find a PT that's knowledgeable about that, you might ask him/her. I'm curious, and I work with a PT (well, virtually--he's in another city) so I might ask him if I get the chance.

Old 11-20-13, 11:47 AM  
NathansMom

I had surgery

I don't post often, but thought I would let you know that there is a surgery for a joint capsule repair, thought proceed with caution. This was my second foot surgery, and the joint capsule in my second toe had torn due to the strain from my first surgery (which was an injury to the big toe resulting in them cutting the bone down, and, incidently, changing my shoe size). My second toe had started to turn towards my first, and I was told repairing the joint would likely fix this and prevent it from getting worse. They had to make a 2 inch incision in the bottom of my foot, and I wasn't allowed to put weight on it for several weeks. My recovery was twice as long as they stated (over 16 weeks compared to the 8 they said), and my second toe is still turned, though it's less painful than it was. They don't think it will get worse, but repairing the capsule did not fix the toe-turning issue like they said. I am still hoping it will prevent it from getting worse. They said the only way to fix it now would be to try again and do another bone cut, but I am refusing and living with it. Just beware that it probably won't go away on it's own, and surgery may not help. Good luck.
NathansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 12:00 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansMom View Post
I don't post often, but thought I would let you know that there is a surgery for a joint capsule repair, thought proceed with caution. This was my second foot surgery, and the joint capsule in my second toe had torn due to the strain from my first surgery (which was an injury to the big toe resulting in them cutting the bone down, and, incidently, changing my shoe size). My second toe had started to turn towards my first, and I was told repairing the joint would likely fix this and prevent it from getting worse. They had to make a 2 inch incision in the bottom of my foot, and I wasn't allowed to put weight on it for several weeks. My recovery was twice as long as they stated (over 16 weeks compared to the 8 they said), and my second toe is still turned, though it's less painful than it was. They don't think it will get worse, but repairing the capsule did not fix the toe-turning issue like they said. I am still hoping it will prevent it from getting worse. They said the only way to fix it now would be to try again and do another bone cut, but I am refusing and living with it. Just beware that it probably won't go away on it's own, and surgery may not help. Good luck.
Thanks! This is a new injury for me that happened after I broke my foot two months ago. I am being very, very careful now to allow this to heal completely so it doesn't get worse and/or become chronic.

I'm sorry that you've had such a rough time. I would be hesitant to have another surgery also. Do you have pain and swelling? I have swelling as soon as I try to do any exercise - step, walking, cycling, etc. It seems fine with normal activities and I've been wearing shoes all the time.

Erica
Old 11-20-13, 12:32 PM  
NathansMom

It does seem that the joint capsule tear is a side effect of other injuries, since it happened to both of us! Before the surgery it was painful when I moved my toe, so the push off motion of walking hurt. But, as soon as I was seated, I didn't notice it. My dye scan showed two tears in the capsule that were leaking, but they were somewhat small. The original injury (the first surgery) hurt all the time and I couldn't stand it (constant pain and swelling), even when I was seated, so this was quite different. Since I had to have the screws removed from the original surgery (she thought they were aggravating to me), she suggested this repair as well, since they could do them at the same time. I mainly agreed to it because of the toe turning thing, rather than the pain issue (I have so many other pains that I am just kind of used to hurting all the time). I still have very sharp occassional pain (I guess that's "normal"), but the daily walking pain was eliminated with the surgery (rather, four months later). I would guess that could be considered somewhat successful, but the rubbing from the turned toe really bugs me (plus, so not attractive in sandals). The swelling has really gone down as well, practically eliminated. I hope that answers your question, I know I kind of strayed off My surgeon did say that medications (perixicam, anti-inflammatories) and orthotics are non-invasive methods that don't really help. In all, I'm glad I had the first surgery for the real injury, but I'm not sure about the second. I also have moderate arthritis building up in the joint, which can be exasperated by sugery.
Old 11-20-13, 12:55 PM  
Erica H.

Thank you! I ice a lot when I have swelling, but try to avoid NSAIDs. Interesting that your doctor didn't feel they are very helpful. Did you use metatarsal pads? A doctor recommended them, but I haven't bought them yet. Just wearing shoes all the time gives me a lot of relief, but he said the pads would keep the load off the injured area.

I never thought about the rubbing from the turned toe. That does sound uncomfortable.

I broke my ankle in 1997 and had to have my screws removed a few months later also because they were irritating the surrounding tissue and causing me pain.

Sounds like you've been through a lot. When I broke my ankle, it took a year to heal and I was told it would be six weeks. It was so discouraging and I thought I would have pain and be limping forever. But, when it healed, it was 100% healed.

Erica
Old 11-20-13, 02:25 PM  
NathansMom

I'm glad to hear you had (eventual) success with your healing! The slow healing is so disheartening, especially when it's so much longer than they lead you to believe. Six weeks vs a year must have been very hard. I had a radical knee surgery years ago that was supposed to be 3-6 months to heal, and it took over a year. Never healed completely though, but that's another story

Yes, I have many issues and have been through a lot. I have no cartilage in my right knee (and not much in my left), and I have spondylolithesis in my back (basically a fracture than has knocked my spine out of place) in addition to the issues with my foot/toe. My joints & body are in rough shape, and I'm hardly over 40!

I did try some of the RX NAISDs in the meantime while I was waiting for the (first) surgery, but she was right - they didn't help my foot at all (thought it helped me tolerate my bad knees a bit). They can also cause stomach bleeding - I didn't have an issue, but it can build up over time, and taking them is really not a long term solution. Have you had cortisone? I have had several cortisone injections, and some have helped (others, not so much).

She never mentioned trying metatarsal pads, but that sounds like it would be worth trying. Wearing shoes all the time is REALLY helpful to me. I used to love going barefoot, but it is painful now. I even bought hard-bottomed slippers I wear at home that have cushioning and support - helps my foot, back, and knees. I did try some arch supports in my work shoes, and after getting used to them, I found the support from those help a bit. I also banned any shoe that has higher than a one inch heel - that helps as well.

Tags
capsulitis, foot surgery, toe joint pain