Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-12, 11:39 AM  
Negin

Red face Not Particularly Thrilled With Essentrics/CS

I thought I would LOVE these. I've tried them a few times so far and am really not that impressed at all. Could I be the only one?
I had my hopes set high, oh, so high and alas ... they just don't do it for me . I have to say that so far I've only tried some of Classical Stretch Season 4 and Essentrics Flexibility for Athletes. I have several more that I have yet to try. I hope they're better.
The frustrating thing is that I can't quite pinpoint what I dislike about these - the style of instruction, Miranda's voice, I don't know. I don't even feel anything incredible when doing these. All my yoga DVDs, however, or most of them, I absolutely love. My own customized stretching routines that I've been practicing for over 30 years - those feel better than these.
I haven't given up on CS or Essentrics quite yet. Not wiling to do that quite yet. Invested too much $$ in them to do that. But I have to share that I am rather disappointed.
This morning, I saw my Essentrics workout as a complete and utter waste of my time. I would have felt better going for a swim. Sorry. Just had to throw out there.
Old 04-06-12, 11:47 AM  
PhyllisG

I feel the same. I just could not get into these and am uncertain as to why. But that said I never really felt anything from doing them. I love yoga and fusion work so I thought I would love these. Not to be. You are not alone in your feelings.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:51 AM  
desertMermaid

I am one who does really enjoy CS. However, the first time I tried it I didn't care for it at all. I didn't get it. Fortunately, I got them off my local PBS station. I didn't think about giving it another shot for months. But then I Kept reading all the great reviews and I thought "OK I'll give it another try, I've got nothing to lose." And I really, really enjoyed it.

Now, I will say, I don't always enjoy it. Some days I do CS and I feel meh and others I feel great. I think I tend to enjoy episodes that are split between standing and floor work the best. As for essentrics, I like the Miranda led essentrics but I don't really like the Sahra led ones. I prefer Miranda's quirky personality but if you don't, then you might prefer one of Sahra's. I don't really like the flexibility for athletes workout either, even though it is a big favorite here. I prefer to do the episodes of CS, they are only 22 minutes, sometimes I will do two in a row, but that is still only 44 minutes. An hour of CS is too much for me.

However, I will say that I can see how some might not share my appreciation for CS. And I know there are many on here who do not. So no you are not alone.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:58 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Negin, you are not alone; there are others here that don't like CS/Essentrics.

What do you have left to try? What you've tried so far is definitely on the more gentle side (especially Season 4). So, it's possible that you might enjoy this work more if you get into some of the stuff that's a bit more intensive. But if not, there's plenty of other videos to choose from!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:06 PM  
topfitmama

I only have Essentrics waist and arm toners/ thigh and seat thinners. I really like the thigh and seat thinners for a 30 minute add-on. It's similar to barre and Pilates, but with a different twist, and I sure feel the burn, especially during the mat work. The stretches at the end feel a lot deeper and more effective than the stretches on many other DVDs.

That said, I wasn't in love with the workout when I first tried it.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:09 PM  
alisoncooks

I wanted to love these. I've tried *everything* CS has put out, except for Season 5 and 7. And 8, if there's an 8 (I stopped keeping track).

Nope, not for me.
(And to add insult to injury, they make my back sore.)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:14 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin in Grenada View Post
I thought I would LOVE these. I've tried them a few times so far and am really not that impressed at all. Could I be the only one?
I had my hopes set high, oh, so high and alas ... they just don't do it for me . I have to say that so far I've only tried some of Classical Stretch Season 4 and Essentrics Flexibility for Athletes. I have several more that I have yet to try. I hope they're better.
The frustrating thing is that I can't quite pinpoint what I dislike about these - the style of instruction, Miranda's voice, I don't know. I don't even feel anything incredible when doing these. All my yoga DVDs, however, or most of them, I absolutely love. My own customized stretching routines that I've been practicing for over 30 years - those feel better than these.
I haven't given up on CS or Essentrics quite yet. Not wiling to do that quite yet. Invested too much $$ in them to do that. But I have to share that I am rather disappointed.
This morning, I saw my Essentrics workout as a complete and utter waste of my time. I would have felt better going for a swim. Sorry. Just had to throw out there.
I got my CS DVDs around the same time you did and so far I like most of them (I love Miranda's quirkiness) but admit the ones I could have done without - am more neutral about - are the two you've tried. So I agree with the suggestion to give the other seasons a try before deciding the final verdict. You might still not like CS in the end, but you definitely have yet to try the best ones.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:14 PM  
Belle de Jour

I tried one of the very first Classical Stretch DVDs in 2005, and I thought it was unusual and sold it pretty quickly. It wasn't until a couple of years ago, when no other fitness method was working for me (I had a lot of injuries) that I tried CS again and it just "clicked" for reasons I can't seem to explain.

I can see how it's usually either love or hate with this method. I just want to point out that if you're really struggling to like them and just can't, the DVDs do hold their value well. I've sold and rebought some, depending on where I was in fitness, and I've never once lost money, sometimes even gained.
Belle de Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:21 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Nothing is for everyone, that's for sure.
I'm one of those who thoroughly enjoys Miranda but without a doubt some are way better than others. Having said that, I totally Season 8 and think it's her best one yet.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 01:40 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I didn't like CS on my first try either, didn't feel a thing and got rid of the DVD. But about a year or so I investigated it again and it's EXACTLY what I need right now. It's not the only thing I do by a long shot, but it feels wonderful to me and has helped me get rid of some shoulder pain and increase flexibility in my shoulders. My arms also look the best they have in a long time.

Anyone wanting to get rid of CS/Essentrics workouts, please get in touch with me!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, essentrics, miranda, miranda esmonde-white