Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-11, 10:04 PM  
bfit

ideas for intermediate step workouts?

I'm looking for intermediate step workouts, and there don't seem to be very many of them out there. I can handle advanced exertion, but I don't want advanced choreography. As I posted earlier today, Petra's new step workout was just too complex for me. On the other hand, workouts like Gin Miler's Everybody Steps are too easy. I have a lot of Cathe step workouts and can do those pretty well, but is there anything else? Right now I have an injury and can't do any upper body work and so many of the Cathe step workouts include intervals of toning interspersed with the stepping. It gets frustrating to fast forward through the stuff I can't do.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 10:28 PM  
Artist of Eyes

You could get a little old school and get some from Gilad and Kathy Smith. While the choreography is very basic, they still get the HR up

Gilad's Step
KS Power Step (harder to find)
KS Step Workout
KS Great Buns & Thighs Step
Kari Anderson GO
Debra Mazda Step- although it is more beginner in level adding a set of risers or two can bump it up to intermediate.
Gin Miller- Reebox Step

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 10:43 PM  
Just_Jo

Gin Miller:

Simply Step (one of my favs!)
Step Reaction (30 minutes, really cheap on her website)

Jenny Ford:
Step by Step (one of my favs!)

Gilad:
Step Aerobics
Step and Tone

Charlene Prickett's step workouts

Tracie Long:
Step Forward

Christi Taylor
Mission Possible (half step half hi/lo)

The FIRM:
Cardio Step Mix (if you can find it)

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I'm like you, I can do the more advanced (and do!) but I prefer the easier choreography.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 05:39 AM  
JP44

I second Kathy Smith's Great Buns & Thighs and would add Karen Voight's Energy Sprint.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 07:17 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

You are right, there isn't that many out there. Probably why I have so many step workouts on VHS and am holding on to them for dear life. Thankfully I have been able to copy most of them to DVD.

I echo these suggestions...

Debra Mazda Let's Get Stepping
Gilad Step Aerobics
Christi Taylor Mission Possible

I really like Kathy Smith's Power Step, unfortunately is harder to find. I had the DVD and sold it like an idiot, I just spent a pretty penny acquiring it again on DVD because I decided it was worth it. There are 2 modifiers that don't do any power moves so I follow them. Of course if I had the same bouncy step they did then I might. Her other step workouts are good too but that one is my favorite, I am not sure they are in print anymore though, but you can find used at Amazon. Karen Voight Energy Sprint is another good one, as is Kari Anderson's Go.

I will also add Cathe's Basic Step in there too, it's a little short at 30 minutes but I like it. And the step premix for Cathe's Low Impact Circuit is lots of fun, the choreography isn't super hard, but a little more complex than the above mentioned workouts.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 08:39 AM  
Terry

Another different strokes: I just got rid of Kathy Smith's Power Step.

I love, and still do, Gin Miller's Step Reebok and the Cher step workout instructed by Kelly Roberts. These are both intermediate level. I don't know if they ever came out on DVD, but I think Step Reebok might have.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 08:49 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

If you don't mind DVD-Rs, Discount Workouts has step workouts that are kind of in the old-fashioned, not-so-complex vein, and the price is hard to beat.
http://discountworkouts.com/step.php

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 08:51 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

The Firm Super Cardio Mix has several step segments. I am really bad at choreography and I could follow most of it. There are all kinds of segments mixed in, but lots of step. You can probably find a copy on half.com or amazon.com.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 09:25 AM  
mtnmom

Gay Gasper is easy enough to follow, yet interesting enough to keep you moving. My favorite is All Out Infused Step, followed by Cardio Step Express (although I don't like the abs or cooldown on CSE).

Another mid-range step workout is Step By Design by Carole Paradise. She only made the one workout, so you don't see much buzz about her.

Do you have other Petra workouts? The easiest to follow is Step Select, my favorite is PK Step.

I've attempted The Last Step once (the availability of workout space for step these days is limited at my house) and I thought it was pretty complex - way more so than any other Petra workout. I was really surprised at the "easy to learn" statement on the back of the case and Collage's "moderate" rating of the choreography. It's a huge disservice to Petra, since choreo lovers will pass it by and those needing truly easy-to-learn routines will be frustrated.
Old 06-14-11, 10:03 AM  
runnergirl

KCM has an athletic step workout on her Cardio Blast dvd. It is only 30 minutes but the choreography is easy to learn.
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy choreography, step, step aerobics, step forward