Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-11, 03:17 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Another one here who would like to see more vertical step workouts.
Sure, you can do the same moves 'sideways" (side to the TV), but it's different somehow.

Lynne Bricke (anyone remember her?), Kathy Smith and some threesome that had a bulldog design on the cover of their workout (called "For ???? only") had vertical step wokrouts, or long segments of workouts using the step vertically.

Also, as long as there's no walking in front of the step, and moves off the back are kept close, vertical stepping fits in better with the dimensions of my workout space (aka: livingroom).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:27 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I'm a perpetual beginner. There are some Kathy's that I really like, some I Joni O'd. Her "Secrets to a Great..." are frequently mentioned here and I do like them, although the standing-on the floor-standing-on the floor-standing, etc. transitions can make me nuts if I'm in the wrong mood, but my very favorite is one that I never, ever see recommended: "Power Step." I don't know why, I find this one fun.

I had (have?) one KS workout, can't remember which, that is okay, but I can't get beyond one of the backgrounders who has this freaky, Stepford-ish grin the entire workout. It scares me and I'm so sorry for the backgrounder. I hope she gets therapy.

_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:34 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
This was my first step workout and it holds a special place in my heart.
Ditto, here. I could pull this one out on any given day and do it just for fun. If it seems a little easy, just up the step and voila!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:40 PM  
juberann

What great memories! I love this one I actually bought it awhile back when it came out on DVD but don't think I ever did it. I am going to dig it out tonight and revisit this one, it is one of my favorite workouts of all time
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 09:47 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
I'm a perpetual beginner. There are some Kathy's that I really like, some I Joni O'd. Her "Secrets to a Great..." are frequently mentioned here and I do like them, although the standing-on the floor-standing-on the floor-standing, etc. transitions can make me nuts if I'm in the wrong mood, but my very favorite is one that I never, ever see recommended: "Power Step." I don't know why, I find this one fun.
YADeb
I too, like Power Step, more so than GB&T. I could just kick myself in the rear for getting rid of the DVD, I was on the fence at one time with it and decided to sell it. I rebought on VHS and copied it to DVD. Too bad it's out of print though, I don't add any of the power moves and I get a really good workout with this one.

I also like Ultimate Stomach & Thighs, one of the first videos I ever bought.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 09:55 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara W View Post
I too, like Power Step, more so than GB&T. I could just kick myself in the rear for getting rid of the DVD, I was on the fence at one time with it and decided to sell it. I rebought on VHS and copied it to DVD. Too bad it's out of print though, I don't add any of the power moves and I get a really good workout with this one.

I also like Ultimate Stomach & Thighs, one of the first videos I ever bought.
Oh, High five, Tara! I have the VHS - wish I had the DVD!
_____
YADeb
Old 01-27-11, 10:00 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
Oh, High five, Tara! I have the VHS - wish I had the DVD!
_____
YADeb
I think Kathy has rereleased or repackaged some of her workouts a few times, maybe this one will be too. Although being that the springy bench is no longer available, maybe that's why the DVD went out of print? Who knows I guess. Glad to see someone else who likes it too!
Old 01-27-11, 10:01 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I liked Kathy Smith well enough back in the day, but in the VHS-to-DVD switch, replacing my Kathys was just never a big priority (and those of you who are old enough to have lived through that probably remember it was NOT a cheap proposition to re-purchase workouts in DVD format!)

Maybe I should re-think that. In fact, just yesterday, I ordered another oldie-but-goodie from Mary's sale: Gilad! I got three dvds of his oldest series, Bodies in Motion, plus his 45-45 split workout. Talk about a blast from the past! I am so excited about getting those; they are comfort food workouts for me.

OK, so would you laugh at me if I headed right on over to Mary's now to see what Kathy Smiths she might have for under $5?? I think I am on a nostalgia kick right now. Instead of reaching for the latest and greatest I am pining after the workouts I did years and years ago! Weird! But at least I'm not the only one...

Gosh I LOVE you guys!! (see, I can gush too. )
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 10:06 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I liked Kathy Smith well enough back in the day, but in the VHS-to-DVD switch, replacing my Kathys was just never a big priority (and those of you who are old enough to have lived through that probably remember it was NOT a cheap proposition to re-purchase workouts in DVD format!)

Maybe I should re-think that. In fact, just yesterday, I ordered another oldie-but-goodie from Mary's sale: Gilad! I got three dvds of his oldest series, Bodies in Motion, plus his 45-45 split workout. Talk about a blast from the past! I am so excited about getting those; they are comfort food workouts for me.

OK, so would you laugh at me if I headed right on over to Mary's now to see what Kathy Smiths she might have for under $5?? I think I am on a nostalgia kick right now. Instead of reaching for the latest and greatest I am pining after the workouts I did years and years ago! Weird! But at least I'm not the only one...

Gosh I LOVE you guys!! (see, I can gush too. )
I just ordered Gilad's Step Aerobics from Mary's site today! I had it on VHS, sold it years ago, and decided that I wanted it again. So many of my step videos are VHS, thought I better build up the DVD step collection just a little bit.

I agree with you though, I have lots of workouts from the 90's, and while I enjoy all my workouts, I seem to enjoy these just a little bit more. It is a comfort thing, or maybe it
takes me back to a simpler time, who knows....
Old 01-27-11, 10:21 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

susan p, you're asking someone who still listens to the same music that was popular when I was in high school - 30 years ago! Go to it.

It's so easy to get caught up in the latest-and-greatest, and forget the tried-and-true. I intend no offense to any particular person, but how many blonde chicks have come and gone in the last 20-30 years? Too may flavors-of-the-moment to count, but some persist because they're a cut above. Kathy Smith is one.
_____
YADeb

Tags
great buns and thighs, kathy smith, rules of fat burning, step