Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-10, 06:53 PM  
TinaT

With Step Not Being As Popular...

... how is everyone doing with Tracie's Step Forward? I'm seeing threads about Cathe not doing low impact, etc. Does this fit the bill for intense but low/no impact? I've watched the clip more times than I can count and am intriqued by it.

I used to do step all the time, but like every other form of exercise, you move onto the next big craze.

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 07:05 PM  
meg39

I am not much of a step fan (bothers my left knee a bit) but I bought this one and I really enjoy it (as much as I can enjoy a step workout). I don't do it too often, maybe 1-2 a month. I have taken some Body Step classes at our fitness center and I think it's very comparable in that she alternates medium intensity, high intensity, and lower body toning.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 07:39 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I used to do step a lot in the 90's and I loved it! I have the original step, and I used 3 risers and always got a great workout. Then somehow I have moved on to other types of workouts.

I tried the step again about a year ago, and found that I can't do 3 or even 2risers anymore, and that the rhythmic up-down motion and pounding aggravated my hip joints. I also found it a little passe. Now, whenever I do a workout that calls for a step, I use only 1 riser and find that it's plenty or I just do the moves on the floor. I think the key is just to listen to what your body is saying, and use your props accordingly.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 04:49 AM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I used to do step a lot in the 90's and I loved it! I have the original step, and I used 3 risers and always got a great workout. Then somehow I have moved on to other types of workouts.

I tried the step again about a year ago, and found that I can't do 3 or even 2risers anymore, and that the rhythmic up-down motion and pounding aggravated my hip joints. I also found it a little passe. Now, whenever I do a workout that calls for a step, I use only 1 riser and find that it's plenty or I just do the moves on the floor. I think the key is just to listen to what your body is saying, and use your props accordingly.

Are you crazy! 3 risers! LOL I am just starting to use 2 risers as of today since I have been out of shape for about 5 yrs now!!!! I will NEVER go to 3! LOL You are a machine!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 06:01 AM  
stacy4ft9

I, too, am not as much into step as I was. All of my step was Cathe and I just can't bring myself to do her workouts anymore at the moment.

However, Tracie's Step Forward is hands down my favorite step workout ! I hope she does another one because she really has such a unique gift with music selection and choreography and just overall feel to a workout.
stacy4ft9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 08:11 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I love Tracie's Step Forward workout too! I don't do step very often anymore due to a foot issue. It is a good workout, not too high impact, and fun and easy to learn.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 08:53 AM  
counterclockwise

I didn't like Step Forward when I first tried it, but I do like it now. I thought the sound fluctuations were too much at first, but now they don't bother me. I do think her cueing is not good (she cues on the move a lot), but it's a pretty simple routine (and I usually like complex stuff!) and not hard to learn. It does have some impact, but if I remember right she often shows modifications or does the modification herself for a lot of the higher impact moves.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 09:04 AM  
mmis29

I wish this one were a higher intensity level, I miss new step workouts and there isn't much to choose from these days.
mmis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 09:11 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxblack1 View Post
I didn't like Step Forward when I first tried it, but I do like it now. I thought the sound fluctuations were too much at first, but now they don't bother me. I do think her cueing is not good (she cues on the move a lot), but it's a pretty simple routine (and I usually like complex stuff!) and not hard to learn. It does have some impact, but if I remember right she often shows modifications or does the modification herself for a lot of the higher impact moves.
ITA! This one has grown on me, although I usually like more complex choreography. One thing I notice about Tracie is her stepping form--it is very crisp, graceful and elegant. She really looks beautiful in these workouts.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 09:41 AM  
cmiyachi

I go through phases but I'm loving step again. I like it as a counter workout to running. My fav step workouts are Cathe's, Amy Bento's and Tracy Stahle (sp?). But I do like Step Forward - it's not super intense but good in between tough running workouts.

ETA: I also like to do different choreography and Step Forward is quite different from the others.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
longevity, step aerobics, step forward, tracie long