Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-09, 09:08 AM  
shortie

The Get-Strong-Abs Challenge . . .

First, let me say that my abs are pitiful. Just pathetic -- I've never had strong abs, then had two c-sections . . . they're just weak, weak, weak. I can do a situp with my feet braced, but can't do an un-assisted situp (such as a pilates roll-up. And teaser? don't even ask.)

Now, I'm getting ready for some foot surgery in a couple of weeks, which will have a 4-6 week recovery period. I won't be able to do any standing workouts, or any that put pressure on the foot (rowing machine, reformer, etc.). So, I'm using this time for my own personal get-my-abs-strong challenge. I think this is the perfect time for 6-8 weeks of pilates matwork, plus any floorwork that won't hurt the foot.

My goal: by early December, I want to be doing rollups without having to help myself up with an elbow!

Any recommendations for videos? I've gathered a pile: many 10-Minute Solutions pilates, Tracy Mallet's Belly Flab one, the new Element pilates -- what else should I try?
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 09:52 AM  
Sara1000

Just a thought - the AbRocket machine really strengthened my abs when I was having trouble with my neck and couldn't do regular crunches. It can also be used for a cardio effect, but IMO it's not much fun for that - but you can do it while watching TV. It comes with 3 levels of short workouts, and 3 levels of adjustments so you can build up.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 10:01 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
First, let me say that my abs are pitiful. Just pathetic -- I've never had strong abs, then had two c-sections . . . they're just weak, weak, weak. I can do a situp with my feet braced, but can't do an un-assisted situp (such as a pilates roll-up. And teaser? don't even ask.)
Same here! Roll-ups are the bane of my Pilates existence.
I always had nice *looking* abs (well, when I was younger) but I don't know how strong my core was... And I didn't have c-sections, but I have had 2 kids. These things do take their toll!

Good for you for focusing on what you CAN do during your recovery, instead of what you can't! As far as video recs, while I personally cannot stand Kathy Smith, I did like her Pilates for Abs. It was a solid intro to form and a good workout (for me, anyway!)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 11:00 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Shortie: Have no fear - YOU CAN DO IT! I also had two C-Sections but I also love doing ab/core work. My doctor told me that I have some of the hardest abs she's ever seen! So yes, you can make yours stronger too.

I do lots of Pilates, Yoga core work, Barre core work, and just some good old fashioned ab work.

Some recommedations:
Keli Roberts Your Best Body: Abs & More http://videofitness.com/reviews/roberts-abs.php

Exhale Core Fusion Pilates Plus
http://videofitness.com/reviews/roberts-abs.php

Kristin McGee Weight Loss Pilates
http://videofitness.com/reviews/mcgee-wlp.php

Jules Benson Total Core Pilates
http://videofitness.com/reviews/benson-tcp.php

Those are just a few that I think you might like. I tried not to choose something too advanced. Stott Pilates dvds are also quite good and there are many different levels.
I also LOVE Cathe's Ab work, and could suggest Ab Hits.

Good luck with your challenge!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 10:50 AM  
Castella

Just barging in.... Does anyone happen to know if Keli Roberts "Your Best Body: Abs & More" was re-released later under a different title?

As you might be able to guess, I can't find it anywhere (it's not available on her own website).
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 10:57 AM  
suegy3

Gin Miller has an "Aero Abs" workout. I think that the entire workout is done on the floor. I have it but haven't done it in ages!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 11:22 AM  
shortie

Thanks for all these ideas! Keep 'em coming!
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot surgery