Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-21, 01:58 PM  
Erica H.

Posterior Tibial Tendonitis/Dysfunction

Does anyone have any experience with this? I did a search and there are a few very very old threads with not much information.

I started with PTT from running in May and am scheduled for reconstructive surgery on my foot in a month. It's a huge surgery with a very long recovery and I'm just so confused about whether or not to have it now and would love to find out other VFer's opinions/experiences if possible. I haven't run (or even walked for exercise) since May now and spend most of my time resting my foot. It's an awful injury.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 02:24 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Hi!
I had the same injury. I was offered the surgery but declined. My pain eventually went away, but my foot changed in that my arch was flatter than before.

I have no pain now. I wear my orthotics and haven't had a problem since the initial injury and the pain/discomfort for a few months afterward as it healed.

My tendon is stretched out and in a different position than it used to be, but I am fully functional. It looks different than in my other foot.

I have been prehabbing my knees with the "kneesovertoesguy" and as part of keeping knees become strong he works on strengthing your feet/shins/calves. This has helped my feet tremendously! I never get the fatigue in my feet I used to get when doing repetive exercises (jumping rope, plyometrics, extremely long walks).

I wish you the best whatever you decide!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 02:36 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
Hi!
I had the same injury. I was offered the surgery but declined. My pain eventually went away, but my foot changed in that my arch was flatter than before.

I have no pain now. I wear my orthotics and haven't had a problem since the initial injury and the pain/discomfort for a few months afterward as it healed.

My tendon is stretched out and in a different position than it used to be, but I am fully functional. It looks different than in my other foot.

I have been prehabbing my knees with the "kneesovertoesguy" and as part of keeping knees become strong he works on strengthing your feet/shins/calves. This has helped my feet tremendously! I never get the fatigue in my feet I used to get when doing repetive exercises (jumping rope, plyometrics, extremely long walks).

I wish you the best whatever you decide!
Thank you! I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you have flat feet prior to the injury? Mine are very flat and the surgeon would create an arch when doing the surgery to relieve the pressure on the tendon. This involves breaking two bones and a tendon transfer.

How long did it take for your pain to go away? It's been 4 1/2 months for me. The pain is much much better but I still have it. I have good days and bad days but even the bad days aren't terrible. But, I'm still not doing anything. I use my spin bike but only with light resistance - if I bump up resistance I feel the strain on the tendon immediately.

I've been wearing OTC orthotics from my podiatrist for months as well as an ankle brace. Seems like I still need the ankle brace or I have pain from the pressure on the tendon.

But the pain is tolerable and sometimes my foot feels good. I wish this was a clear cut decision (no pun intended). It's a very tough decision to make. Financially, it's best to do it now because I just met my deductible due to the expenses from this injury and some other medical issues. Also, I have family commitments next year when I need to be able to function so if I don't have the surgery when it's scheduled I have to wait another year. Feels like now or never and that is not a good position to be in.

Erica
Old 10-02-21, 06:21 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Did you have flat feet prior to the injury? Mine are very flat and the surgeon would create an arch when doing the surgery to relieve the pressure on the tendon. This involves breaking two bones and a tendon transfer.

My feet have always been profoundly flat, but somehow, my right foot became even flatter!

How long did it take for your pain to go away? It's been 4 1/2 months for me. The pain is much much better but I still have it. I have good days and bad days but even the bad days aren't terrible. But, I'm still not doing anything. I use my spin bike but only with light resistance - if I bump up resistance I feel the strain on the tendon immediately.

On and off for about 9 months. I was fine dealing with some pain as long as I knew I wasn't making anything worse with use. I was able to walk after a few months and came out of the ankle brace around that time. Orthotics only after that.

I've been wearing OTC orthotics from my podiatrist for months as well as an ankle brace. Seems like I still need the ankle brace or I have pain from the pressure on the tendon.

But the pain is tolerable and sometimes my foot feels good. I wish this was a clear cut decision (no pun intended). It's a very tough decision to make. Financially, it's best to do it now because I just met my deductible due to the expenses from this injury and some other medical issues. Also, I have family commitments next year when I need to be able to function so if I don't have the surgery when it's scheduled I have to wait another year. Feels like now or never and that is not a good position to be in.

I was told a year to rehab and that he couldn't guarantee a good result. My sister had the surgery and had residual pain for a couple of years. That's what made me try to wait it out.

My injury may not have been as serious as your's though, but it was bad enough to be offered the surgery.

I am hoping this doesn't confuse you more!
Old 10-02-21, 07:31 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:

On and off for about 9 months. I was fine dealing with some pain as long as I knew I wasn't making anything worse with use. I was able to walk after a few months and came out of the ankle brace around that time. Orthotics only after that.

I am hoping this doesn't confuse you more![/I]
LOL, I can't be more confused!

Thank you SO much for taking the time to share with me. This gives me a lot of hope that I can have a full recovery without surgery.

During the 9 months that you still had pain on and off, do you remember if you worked out at all other than walking? Have you been able to do activities with impact since then? I'm ok (not thrilled) with never running again (never thought I'd say that) but just kind of wondering how to progress and if I need to wait until I have zero pain before doing anything. Right now I can't even come out of the ankle brace.

Thank you again - I appreciate your responses so much!

Erica
Old 10-02-21, 08:07 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
LOL, I can't be more confused!

Thank you SO much for taking the time to share with me. This gives me a lot of hope that I can have a full recovery without surgery.

During the 9 months that you still had pain on and off, do you remember if you worked out at all other than walking?

I gave up running and impact for at least a year. I was still able to strength train and I kept in reasonable pretty good shape even giving up running and high impact cardio.

[I]
Have you been able to do activities with impact since then? Yes, I can do some plyometric stuff, and I jumprope 3-5 times a week, I never got back to running though, but its because of my knee not my foot!.[/I]

I'm ok (not thrilled) with never running again (never thought I'd say that) but just kind of wondering how to progress and if I need to wait until I have zero pain before doing anything. Right now I can't even come out of the ankle brace.

My doctor encouraged me to keep doing what I wanted to and to let comfort/common sense be my guide. I was injured during a kickboxing class, doing repetitive kicks to the side so I gave that up completely.
But as long as the pain was decreasing I kind of pushed through it

Thank you again - I appreciate your responses so much!

Erica
Good luck!!
Old 10-03-21, 12:52 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Good luck!!
Thank you again! You were very helpful!

Erica

Tags