Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-26-21, 05:42 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Sunday's workouts were

Jenny Ford - Walk Across America - Massachusetts - 30 minutes;
Allaire Back Fitness - Episode 1 - 23 minutes

Jenny's walk was set in Fall River, Massachusetts, home of Lizzie Borden. Jenny didn't tell me that, I looked it up. The view is looking out over Mount Hope Bay and a long bridge.

I don't know why I don't do the Allaire Back Fitness episodes more often.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 05:49 AM  
fanofladyvols

Carol what style of exercise is Allaire?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 07:46 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

My DD ditched me yesterday - so we didn't walk -she went out w/ friends. But, I did my own walk & yoga:

- Jessica Smith - Pyramid Power Walk (30 day set)
- Jane Adams - Yoga for Beginners - Lying Practice for Flexibility & Guided Meditation (this was *so* relaxing)
- Short outdoor walk w/ my Golden (she was limping a bit - she is getting on in years, and she does play to vigorously at times!)

Today, so far, has been:

- Jessica Smith - WS 1.0 Barefoot Fusion Sculpt (a good one!)
- Jessica Valent - Herniated Disc Routine - Part 1

Carol - honestly, I don't know why I don't do my Allaire workouts more often either! Do you want to challenge each other to do them 3X per week?

Linda - Allaire is Dr. Lisa Allaire's program, she is a chiropractor and I think had a PBS television show. The workouts are functional, PT like stuff. As I recall each "episode" has a plank, a curling exercise, a bridge exercise, and an extension exercise. They are the kind of thing that I'm sure done consistently would bring about good results, but the results are not immediate so people (like me!) tend to lose interest. Her DVD set progresses in intensity - you are supposed to work each "episode" until you feel ready to move on to the next. The first three or four episodes are pretty easy but then she starts ramping it up. She includes stability ball and foam roller in the later episodes. Gosh, I think I have talked myself into going through this set! Agree about Ellen, I love her, but sometimes I have to use my mental mute button.

Waves, everyone!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 08:09 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Just finished:
Weight Loss Pilates DVD (Kristin McGee) - 59min. Didn't get to it yesterday.
I hit "play all" because it was easier to do than to figure out from their menu what is what - it was kind of confusing. Besides, how difficult can this DVD be, right - or so I thought.

Description on DVD cover says 2-20min workouts plus 5 min bonus ab blast - total approx 50min. This was more like 3 - 16min workouts plus warmup and cool down - total 59min. Each of the 3 segments started with cardio bursts and was progressively more challenging. By the time I was doing the 3rd segment (bridges, leg circles etc) I was humbled. Linda, in my opinion this is solid intermediate DVD and the 3rd segment felt low advanced to me. I will absolutely do this DVD again. Thanks for reminding me of it. Now I wonder what other gems I already own and should pull out from the black hole of my garage rather than chase after new "programs" and streaming sites.

Waves to all! I'll check back later.
Old 04-26-21, 04:50 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi Everyone,

Carol - honestly, I don't know why I don't do my Allaire workouts more often either! Do you want to challenge each other to do them 3X per week?

Linda - Allaire is Dr. Lisa Allaire's program, she is a chiropractor and I think had a PBS television show. The workouts are functional, PT like stuff. As I recall each "episode" has a plank, a curling exercise, a bridge exercise, and an extension exercise. They are the kind of thing that I'm sure done consistently would bring about good results, but the results are not immediate so people (like me!) tend to lose interest. Her DVD set progresses in intensity - you are supposed to work each "episode" until you feel ready to move on to the next. The first three or four episodes are pretty easy but then she starts ramping it up. She includes stability ball and foam roller in the later episodes. Gosh, I think I have talked myself into going through this set! Agree about Ellen, I love her, but sometimes I have to use my mental mute button.

Waves, everyone!

Donna
Absolutely, Donna! We'll see how long we last. I don't think I've ever gotten past episode 5 or 6.

They also include stretching, lots of stretching.

Carol
Old 04-26-21, 06:16 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Good morning!

Just finished:
Weight Loss Pilates DVD (Kristin McGee) - 59min. Didn't get to it yesterday.

I hit "play all" because it was easier to do than to figure out from their menu what is what - it was that confusing. Besides, how difficult can this DVD be, right - or so I thought.

Description on DVD cover says 2-20min workouts plus 5 min bonus ab blast - total approx 50min. This was more like 3 - 16min workouts plus warmup and cool down - total 59min. Each of the 3 segments started with cardio bursts and were progressively more challenging. By the time I was doing the 3rd segment (bridges, leg circles etc) I was humbled. Linda, in my opinion this is solid intermediate DVD and the 3rd segment felt low advanced to me. I will absolutely do this DVD again. Thanks for reminding me of it. Now I wonder what other gems I already own and should pull out from the black hole in my garage rather than chase after new "programs" and streaming sites.

Waves to all! I'll check back later.
Dana you made me feel SO MUCH better!! Your assessment is EXACTLY how I rated it.
I hunted down two others by her the S3 one and her beginners. I may bug you later about any downloads you might have of hers. I will definitely do it again. I have a few more pilates workouts I want to try first. I know I couldn't have done either segment a couple of years ago.

Carol and Donna I tried to find those but she doesn't sell them anymore. Looks like Patreon is the only way to try and it's only the second season available. I will definitely pay attention to your reviews as you do them because they sound like my kind of party.

Today was Cathe's Perfect Hiit high impact, CS #401 deep stretch and 50 rear lunges per leg.

Donna having a mental mute is something I have to use from time to time with Miranda, as in today's workout when she mentioned multiple times about love handles. So annoying. So I will just have to do it with Ellen on occasion.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 04-26-21, 08:49 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Monday's workout was

Barre3 - Strength Conditioning with Allison (Live) March 18 - 30 minutes

This was a tough little workout. Despite having a strength focus, there was a lot of cardio emphasis as well - I was sweating like crazy when I finished. No Portlandia Speak either, so I didn't have to use the mental mute button. And the music was decent.

Linda - It's hard to believe that that set (Season 1 of Allaire Back Fitness) was filmed in 2008!

Carol
Old 04-26-21, 09:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Carol that doesn't seem that long ago! Do the episodes seem ancient?
Or are you just commenting how quickly things change?

Old 04-27-21, 05:44 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Carol that doesn't seem that long ago! Do the episodes seem ancient?
Or are you just commenting how quickly things change?
No! The episodes don't seem ancient or dated to me. It's almost weird how they haven't aged. I think I'm more commenting on how quickly time is passing.

I guess you could post on Request the Wealth. Maybe someone has them and would love to send them to you. Season 2 is not progressive, while Season 1 is. I have both Seasons, but have not used Season 2 much at all.

Carol
Old 04-27-21, 08:21 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday evening I walked w/ my Golden. She is limping a little, so we kept it short. She is going to be 9 this year, but she still runs around like a crazy puppy and sometimes ends up limping later...I know the feeling....

Today, the Jessica Smith WS 1.0, Phase II rotation called for either 360 abs or one of the walks and standing abs from the 30 day set. I didn't feel like doing either one...so, instead I did:

Caroline Jordan - 10 Min Calorie Burning Interval Workout
Caroline Jordan - Best Exercise to Reduce Diabetes (10 min - basically another interval style workout)
Caroline Jordan - Abs for Bad Back

I have watched Caroline's workouts but never actually did one. I really enjoyed these - the time went by fast, Caroline is very positive. The Ab routine was nothing earth shattering in terms of the exercises she chose but they certainly did not irritate my back and I think may have helped a bit, too.

I am thinking of trying her Recovery Day workout for tomorrow.

The only downside is no music and the sound quality is a little echo-y - but hey, it is a free workout. There is also a paid advertisement at the beginning where Caroline is touting the benefits of this vitamin water she is drinking. At least it is at the beginning or end of the video not in the middle, so that is fine and again, free workout...can't complain too much!

I hope to walk today and do some more stretching or PT type work.

Carol - you are tempting me w/ B3...I must.remain.strong..... I got an e-mail from Trifecta Pilates yesterday saying they are increasing their yearly fee to $278! That is just too much. I did a month in March, and I like her stuff, but I think it is too expensive. Maybe $99 for the year but not $278!!!!

Time sure does fly! 2008 seems like ancient times, my DD started kindergarten that year and this year she is graduating HS!!

Dana -thanks for the run down on that DVD!

Linda - LOL on the mental mute w/ Miranda!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote