Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-17, 09:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

This was me, but I've had a Classical Stretch Renaissance of sorts. I strained my back during a particularly badly cued episode a few years back, and vowed never again.

Then I noticed Season 10 on PBS and thought it seemed much better. I tried some and liked it, then heard of the summer health challenge and subscribed to Essentrics TV. I started out with all the beginner tutorials and pain relief classes and worked up.

Two things I found were: I was straining my neck to look at the screen. Also, I was trying to emulate Miranda going so deep. Having the tutorials under my belt and having worked out with Sarah taught me the proper way to hold myself.

BUT - I totally get people not liking it b/c I was in that camp for a long time.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 10:41 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Oh I am sorry to read these posts! Yes, a person can get injured doing anything...including Essentrics/Classical Stretch.

The biggest thing I notice when I am teaching classes is not keeping the tailbone tucked under when your arms are extended in front of you....like when you are "washing tables" or extending the arm in front reaching.

You should always keep your knees soft, and the shoulders never extend past your knees.

You are right that sometimes, in the earlier workouts, Miranda would say things like "pull the arm out of the socket" (cringe worthy). Don't do that. Leave your arm in the socket.

Essentrics/CS is a wonderful technique...but I will acknowledge not for everyone. I think it's best to keep your movements small to begin with. If you get a chance to work with an instructor, they may have more insight as to what may be going on with form, etc.
I echo what Jackie says, injuries can happen in any form of exercise. Form is key in Essentrics and attending a live class is always helpful for developing good form. That applies to pretty much any exercise genre.

I tried Essentrics many years ago and didn't click with it. I revisited it a couple of years ago & now I'm hooked and doing teacher training. But it is an acquired taste and certainly not for everyone.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 05:32 PM  
dmlarue1

I have never injured myself with classical stretch. It is what I usually use to rehab myself. But as a PT I can see how it could lead to injury. Miranda is super flexible and the range of motions she shows is too extreme for most people. I always listen to my own body and don't stretch more than it is comfortable for me. I liked in one of the seasons where she had 2 background exercises because they weren't able to do everything she does.
I also think 3 things apply to most exercise
1. No exercise is good when it is all you do, I firmly believe in cross training to avoid repetitive injuries
2. Most people have imbalances that they may or may not know of, these imbalances lead to a lot of injuries
3. Any practice should be taken with a live instructor for the best technique
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 06:56 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
I have never injured myself with classical stretch. It is what I usually use to rehab myself. But as a PT I can see how it could lead to injury. Miranda is super flexible and the range of motions she shows is too extreme for most people. I always listen to my own body and don't stretch more than it is comfortable for me. I liked in one of the seasons where she had 2 background exercises because they weren't able to do everything she does.

1. No exercise is good when it is all you do, I firmly believe in cross training to avoid repetitive injuries
2. Most people have imbalances that they may or may not know of, these imbalances lead to a lot of injuries
Totally agree, Donna.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 09:59 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
I am a huge believer in cross-training. I also had to try CS a few times before I began to understand the method. I am finding now, that it is very therapeutic for me. However, I also agree that every exercise method is not for every body.
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 10:52 AM  
sbh

I have a chronic low back injury. When I first did CS, it really aggravated my nerve pain. I liked the concept of the workouts, so I decided to modify. I don't bend forward or go as low as Miranda does. I pretty much have to modify all my workouts that way. I love CS, especially the ab work.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, injuries, miranda esmonde-white