Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-15, 01:36 PM  
flamingoo

Need help strengthening core after surgery

As most of you know I'm recovering from major foot surgery. I was cleared to start ab/upper body work ( quickly discovered my foot/body is not ready for anything below the waist yet ) I'm kind of floored how weak I've gotten! trying not to get discouraged and taking it very slow. Don't want to back slide at all. I'm also realizing I can't jump back in to the kind of ab work I was doing previously ( mostly TA and some BB) I need to strengthen my entire core, in a safe way. Front, back and sides. My back easily hurts and fatigues. I'm able to do modify by resting legs on couch/chair or straight on the floor. I've done a few exercises where my legs are straight in the air, but only for a few seconds, my cast gets heavy quick. Any suggestions?? C- curve? Barre3 ? I'm all ears. Thanks everyone!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 01:46 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Do you have a physical therapist? If so, I'd get him or her to recommend some exercises. Maybe your doctor would refer you if you don't have one.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 01:49 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I really like Lindsay Brin's Postnatal Slimdown . It has 6 abs/core segments that are progressive. Even though the title is geared towards coming back after baby, I found these segments had great instruction and were very effective. In addition to the abs/core segments there's a lot of other content. I think it's a steal at just over $11 at Amazon.

You can see some of the segments on her YouTube channel to try out before purchasing.

Good luck on your recovery!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 02:31 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Do you have a physical therapist? If so, I'd get him or her to recommend some exercises. Maybe your doctor would refer you if you don't have one.

Carol
My Dr. told me to do what I can. He knows I was very active before. My Pt showed me some stabilizing exercises on all 4's and told me to keep doing modified planks
Old 07-31-15, 02:32 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I really like Lindsay Brin's Postnatal Slimdown . It has 6 abs/core segments that are progressive. Even though the title is geared towards coming back after baby, I found these segments had great instruction and were very effective. In addition to the abs/core segments there's a lot of other content. I think it's a steal at just over $11 at Amazon.

You can see some of the segments on her YouTube channel to try out before purchasing.

Good luck on your recovery!

I was actually just watching one of her video! They do look good. Thank you
Old 07-31-15, 02:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

How much longer do you have to go before you lose the cast? I think I'd just continue to do what you're doing 'til then, and then really go at it once you're given the all clear. Because you've been in shape previously, your recovery should progress quickly.
Old 07-31-15, 03:41 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
How much longer do you have to go before you lose the cast? I think I'd just continue to do what you're doing 'til then, and then really go at it once you're given the all clear. Because you've been in shape previously, your recovery should progress quickly.
It's going to be a while. 6 more weeks of no weight, but then up to 6 months walking in the air cast. Hopefully eventually he'll let me exercise without it on.
Old 11-23-15, 01:41 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I just had a C-section to deliver my second baby 11 weeks ago and I've been really enjoying Lindsey Brin's stuff. She has a lot of stuff (legally) uploaded on YouTube. I've been starting off with 30 Day Post-Natal Core Stabilization Workout (uploaded by BeFIT) and CFS Phase 1 & 2 (uploaded by her via Moms into Fitness). Check out my postnatal playlist for a full list of links -- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UgyV4IUvNoxuoj Videos 6, 7, 8 are from her CFS DVD (phases 1, 2, 3) and videos 9, 10, 11 are her "core # 1, 2, 3" sequences. Core #4 is missing... I've looked! Core #2 is quite the leap from Core #1. CFS Phase 2 is definitely a bit easier. All the best on your recovery!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-15, 03:09 PM  
Chomper

Bird dogs!

Lying on your back, leg raises and windshield wipers. Start with bent knees cuz these can be hard.

Can do various planks on your knees too.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot surgery