Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-22, 04:14 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Tell me about Uber and Lyft?

I've never tried these services. What do you think about them? Of course, I guess it all depends on where you live.

Any hints or tips?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 06:01 PM  
Erica H.

Can I add a question - my dd is using Lyft for the first time this week. How much should she tip? I'm seeing both percentages and set amounts when I do a google search.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 06:42 PM  
Leonana

When I needed a ride due to my car being in the shop, I’ve used Lyft a couple for times. I’ve been satisfied with it. Both times the drivers were young women and they had clean, reliable cars. I’ve never had to wait very long for the ride.

Price has been around $12-15, but I didn’t have far to go, less than ten miles. As for tip, Lyft had suggested percentages when they sent me request for payment, and I think I picked an amount in the middle.
Old 08-12-22, 08:30 PM  
MathTeacher

I have used Uber several times. The driver's are friendly and their cars are clean. I like it better than a cab because all transactions are digital.

Before you call for an Uber check to see how many people they will allow in their car. AND when the car gets there ask who they are picking up.
Old 08-12-22, 10:15 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Be sure to open both apps and check the price on both before booking your ride. Sometimes the price difference (for both short and long distance rides) are substantial. Sometimes Lyft is cheaper, sometimes Uber or sometimes they're close in price. I don't have a preference one or the other. So if one is $5-10 cheaper, I take it. When going from the suburbs into the city, it can be a much much more significant price difference. Again, sometimes one or the other is just much cheaper.

FWIW, I've had 2 or 3 rides in lyft/uber cars whose interiors were not as clean as I would prefer (just meaning that the car mats and upholstery could be a bit cleaner or well maintained), but the same could be said for some cab interiors. And it really just depends on who shows up as far as how "clean" or "new" the interior is. Not to mention, I've been in a few friends' cars in high school and college that were (far worse than any cab/lyft/uber). At least lyft/uber are not full of clutter, don't have anything in them that could stain my clothes, and don't smell of cigar or cigarette smoke or whatever else.

I like that you can see on the app where the driver's car is. And the drivers are usually friendly enough. I usually don't talk when I'm alone in a lyft/uber (I read) and generally the driver doesn't talk to me unless I'm looking out the window and not reading and they are feeling chatty. It's also easy to digitally share your ride with someone else (friend, family member) so they can keep track of exactly where you are for whatever reason.

The best part is no money exchanging hands and you know upfront what the ride will cost and you have time afterward to think about what you want to tip rather than in the moment.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 11:42 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I use Uber all the time and it is great. I find it feels so much safer than a cab and the money is all paid digitally.

I usually add a tip after the ride.
Old 08-17-22, 11:57 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone! I had to use Uber yesterday twice and both trips went well. I did add tips.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lyft, off topic, off-topic, uber