Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-02-22, 07:13 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Pilates Cross Trainers August 2022

Welcome to August!

Ellen's Sleek Sculpt Express - 30min. I have it on DVD so that's what I did. Tougher than I remembered but enjoyable.

PBL Adore Your Core Complete Core - 16min. So good to work out with Lisa again. I did rent her Super Challenge for 30 days @ 12.99 this morning. Excellent deal and I'm so glad she's got that option now. You can also buy some workouts/bundles at a fairly reasonable price. I loved today's core workout and forgot how tough Lisa's workouts can be. I'm excited to work through the Challenge for the next 30 day. It just may be the motivation I needed. Short, tough pilates workouts from a superb instructor at a very reasonable price.

I hope everyone is doing well. I have to go to the office today, so I'll chat more later. Waves to all!
Old 08-02-22, 08:16 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for starting the new thread, Dana, I always forget!

Yesterday turned out to be a good day - throughout the day I interspersed some of Lucy Wyndham Read's workouts - they are good to do as a break from sitting - they are short, require little space and no equipment and can be done in regular clothing - no need to change into a workout outfit! After work I did:

Jessica Valent - Lower Body Blast Pilates workout - this was a good one, included some challenges (like the getting up off the floor w/out using hands!) and some standing leg lifts which I modified by using a chair.

Today, so far has been:

Charlene Pricket - Get the Fat Off - Cardio Cross Trainer - Low Impact. I really miss Charlene in the fitness world - it is straightforward, not insane, but still challenging enough. Her low impact is unique - it is a nice alternative to walking and dance workouts - and I think ends up being a little more intense than both. This one was also filmed outdoors which is a nice bonus.

I should do a retro-Charlene month -maybe in September....

I also added on - Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 Min Root Chakra Yoga - which is a nice one to do after cardio.

Dana - good luck at the office.

Carol - I can see turning vegetarian after that. I get crossed out when DH defrosts some meat in the fridge - so I can't imagine meat sitting in the hot closet your freezer turned into.

Hope everyone has a nice Tuesday - it has to be better than Monday!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 07:44 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I had a very productive day in the office today. Got a lot done, but not everything I had hoped to do. The owner of the company (my friend) is a disabled vet and I sometimes have to deal with the VA for various business-related issues. Today was one of these days and I feel like I've hit the brick wall with them at every turn. There is so much red tape and unnecessary bureaucracy that it's very hard, frustrating and nearly impossible to take care of the simplest of tasks. After many attempts and phone calls, I just had to walk away from it all today. I was that frustrated. I may try again next week, but at this point I question the value of what I'm trying to achieve vs. the hassle.

Another very hot day here today, but on Thursday we have the first NFL pre-season game! Fall can't be far behind. I'm a football fan and I'm looking forward to it.

Hope both of you had a good day today. See you tomorrow.
Old 08-02-22, 09:02 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Jessica's August calendar just called for 30 minutes of steady state cardio, so that's what I did. It was hot - still in the 92-94 degree range when I walked at 8:10 tonight.

Dana - I've heard stories about how hard the VA is to deal with. I'm afraid that it's a preview of what single payor healthcare might look like when we eventually go to it. Glad you are enjoying Lisa's Challenge. Yes, her workouts are HARD!

Donna - I am pretty sore from that Lower Body Blast workout that you did today. I loved Charlene - I wish they would have put Seasons 17 and 18 entirely on DVD, just like they were in the VHS tapes.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 08:25 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last night i added on some - Lucy Wyndham Read - Day # 2 from her August Walk & Tone which was an 8 min standing abs and then I did an after work stretch from Yoga w/ Kassandra.

Today, so far:

LWR - Day # 3 from her August Walk & Tone - this was interesting, it was filmed w/ her walking around Venice and then she would stop and do some body weight toning. It wasn't the hardest workout out there, but it served a purpose- to warm me up for Jessica's workout.

Jessica Valent - Pilates Arms and Abs - just what it sounds like. Body weight upper body - so planks and variations thereof and some Pilates ab work.

I may do another LWR or two later for just extra activity and then maybe a stretch or yoga...

My bathroom should be 98% complete today - the only snafu is that the shower door is delayed by 2 weeks, but my contractor will finish everything else today and then come back once the shower door is in stock.

Carol - Having worked for a local gov't for over 20 years, the thought of single payor scares me - the gov't is not known for efficiency or being able to act quickly. I am not saying that our current system is perfect, but it could be worse and it may just get worse! Some of Season 17 of It Figures is on You Tube. For September I'm thinking of re-visiting her - wasn't her "schedule" M-W-F cardio and Tue-Thurs strength?

Dana- glad you had a productive day except for the VA....and glad you are enjoying Lisa. I like the "model"of being able to join a challenge w/out subscribing to the site. Man Flow Yoga does that - in fact i signed up for $9 for a challenge and have only done one of the workouts. I should try to do at least 8 more so it is only $1/workout. And it is nice b/c you don't have to remember to unsubscribe at the end, your access ends...

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 08-03-22, 08:27 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Jessica Valant Pilates - Arms & Abs - 20 minutes

I worked up a sweat doing this short workout. Of course that might have had something to do with the fact that it was about 100 degrees outside. I am so ready for cooler weather. I did modify a couple of moves - the usual suspects, tricep dips and rollups.

Saw the cardiologist this morning for my annual checkup - he said everything looked good - a little bit of plaque buildup in my carotid artery, but nothing outside normal for someone my age. He said my stress test from a few months ago looked "fantastic". Suggested adding some additional walking, if I could stand it with my ankle, but said the pilates and strength work was very good. He's a runner, so I was pleased that he was open to other forms of exercise besides running.

Donna - you're right - Charlene's schedule was cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Strength on Tuesday and Thursday. I'm thinking two of the cardio days were step and one was low impact cardio. I'll look for her on YouTube.

Carol
Old 08-04-22, 08:08 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Ellen's Quick Cardio 15min
PBL Full Body Band - 22min
PBL Arms & Shoulder Sculpt - 15min
WAH Fast Walk 2miles - 32min

I was on a roll this morning. First I did Quick Cardio just to warm up before PBL, then since I still wanted to move, I added Leslie's 2 Mile walk that's listed on their calendar for 8/6 after I did PBL. Lisa's workouts were excellent but the Arm & Shoulder workout which I did with 3lbs weights just about killed me! Tough, but surprising there were no biceps or triceps moves. I'm really enjoying this Challenge and hope that it will be available for rent again after my 30 days are up. The price is right and I don't need all additional frills that are available on her website. Just give me great, short workouts.

Carol, that's great news you got from your cardiologist. Congrats! Your hard work pays off.

Donna, I'll bet you're happy that your bathroom is just about finished. You must be relieved to get back to your normal routine minus shower door.

I'm off today but I have a hair appointment at 10am. I need to get a hair cut but it seems like a chore to go, sit there and make small talk. I'm getting less and less sociable the older I get.

Hope you all have a great day. Waves!
Old 08-04-22, 08:44 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I ended up adding on Lucy's Posture Challenge Day # 5 which has a sort of Pilates/Yoga feel to it. There were some planks, not my favorite and I used a chair for a modification (Lucy shows this mod in her workout which is nice) and then I added on an Essentrics - it was a Live workout from 7/25 w/ Sahra.

Whenever I do Essentrics, I always want to do more, so today I did:

Essentrics Live from 7/21 w/ Meg - this was a 45 min class for "swimmers" - it focused on shoulders and hips. It was also filmed outdoors in Costa Rica, so very pretty scenery.

Up for Jessica today is Pilates Tabata, which I may attempt at lunch time. It sounds scary, but I think I did it once before and it was ok.

Carol - that is good news from the cardiologist. I think every little bit helps in terms of healthy eating and exercise. I do need to get that healthy eating part more under control......

This channel has a bunch of Charlene Prickett Series 17 workouts - I think they even include the interviews that were placed in place of the commericals.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...4oH08oA/videos

Dana - I know what you mean about hair cuts and small talk...it is exhausting! Great job this morning!!

Donna
Old 08-04-22, 09:00 AM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

I haven't been doing much workout-wise, hence not posting for several days. I need to get back into the swing of things.

Carol, yuck! So sorry about your freezer! I've heard of people using some sort of freezer alarm to let them know their freezer has an issue, but I've never used one. Someday I'll probably regret it!

Dana, I'm also a football fan and looking forward to the new season. Though as a Seahawks fan, seeing Russell Wilson play for another team will be painful. Sigh.

Donna, yay for a new bathroom! Did he do a facelift, of sorts, or did you gut it completely?

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-22, 08:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was simple:

Walk - 30 minutes

It was a pleasant evening and I decided to walk instead of doing Jessica's Pilates Tabata routine. Maybe another time...

Brenda - Thanks for the mention of a freezer alarm. I had never heard of such a thing.

Donna - Thanks for the YouTube links. How was the Pilates Tabata routine?

Dana - Another football fan here. I grew up going to University of Oklahoma football games with my parents and of course, watching the Dallas Cowboys on TV. Those were the glory days! It's been a long time since they were very good.

Hard to believe all the teachers will be back in the building next week and that we start back in less than 2 weeks.

Carol