Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-23-22, 04:29 PM  
YogaGal

Thanks to All for the Birthday Wishes! We went down south so that I could pick up my pre-ordered Kassandra Year of Yoga book which was delivered on my birthday and we ate lunch at a favorite place that offers a great veggie burger and a discount on your birthday.

Before going down I did Yoga with Bird’s 10 Minute Morning Yoga For Beginners Full Body Stretch to Celebrate International Day of Yoga.

Yesterday we took an evening walk and I hope to do some weights tonight.
Old 06-23-22, 09:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~Taught Essentrics
~Jessica’s Split Session Strength: Upper Body Series
~Yin yoga class

Carolyn - Good food and a new yoga book, sounds like a lovely birthday! I’m thinking of getting Kassandra’s book too, possibly on kindle so I can take it traveling.

Pat - Yes I’m also excited for Alice’s new Daily Om course. I expect it will be short workouts as Daily Om courses usually are.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 09:07 PM  
JustSandra

Hello!

Today's Workout: The Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith's original Walk Strong set. Still need to do some stretching...

Yogapam: I think all of us who have exercised for a long time do develop a strong sense of what works and what doesn't work for us. I've noticed it is also faster and more efficient if I do exercises or stretches on my own rather than constantly wade through an instructor's set-up.

Carolyn: Sounds like a lovely birthday!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 09:10 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, let us know if you start Cee's Beginner rotation so that we can support you! I'm going to continue with it for now, and I'm also trying to add daily KB swings back in.

Carolyn, sounds like getting the book was a nice b-day present for you; hope you enjoy!

I filmed my last yin video today, the evening practice. It'll post after noon tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHgBHapYTXs

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 09:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Beth - I look forward to your latest yin practice.

Sandra - I agree, it’s often quicker, easier, & less frustrating to do your own thing, especially with stretching. After years of working out, we do develop a good sense of body awareness and what works for us.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 09:11 AM  
cyana

TGIF!!!!

I've been doing more weights this week - BFR - legs/calf, biceps/triceps, chest/back. I heard a talk on YT with Dr. Gabrielle Lyon, discussing the importance of maintaining your skeletal muscle and it was quite enlightening. As we age, it isn't unusual to think of maintaining muscle so we can get off the toilet, get up from chairs, etc., but she dives into maintaining skeletal muscle as relates to metabolic health.

How are Cee's beginner work-outs structured and how long do they typically run? And forgive me if this has been previously mentioned - I have the memory of a gnat.

Must run - need to try to knock out some work. Stay cool and have a good day!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 09:42 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Friday!!!

cyana, I'm interested in the skeletal muscle info. I was just reading a bit about it myself this week, and the stuff I read suggested that skeletal muscle mass and muscle mass are basically the same thing - did your info expand on this more? I was interested b/c according to my scale measurements (which I do take with a grain of salt, but I look at trends), my skeletal muscle mass has actually decreased since I've been doing more weight work of late - weird!

RE Cee's Beginner series, there are 4 workouts (plus a separate warm-up that I've never done) that all run about 30-34 minutes. The format is one exercise per muscle group - you do 12 reps, 45 sec rest, 3x total. Let me know if you have other questions!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 06-24-22, 09:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF! Good morning!

~ Ellen Barrett Power Express
~ GYM for 15 treadmill and 30 weight machines
~ 4,962 steps

Carolyn, I see you got Kassandra’s book! I received mine Tuesday. How do you like it? I love mine. It’s beautifully produced, so many nice details. It’s even more than I thought it would be. And the size is good for me. Ravi and Ana’s book was so monstrous that I sold it - I couldn’t hold it in my hands or prop it up to follow along.

Beth, thank you for the offer of support. I’m going to finish up June with Margaret and gym and start Cee’s beginner program in July.

Cyana - I was midway through Cee’s 40-4-40. In that challenge the routines are generally 45 minutes. She started each one with a tough lower body exercise that hits all the LB muscles then goes on to DBs or KBs for each upper body group, finishing with core. Three sets of 12 each with a 45 minute rest. I at first thought the rest periods were too long/boring but when you challenge yourself, you need them! I thought your post referred to “skeletal music” and I was picturing rattling bones.

Greetings to one and all!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 10:19 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith Stretch + Relax (Rejuvenate practice)

I have both upper and lower body DOMS so Jessica's Rejuvenate practice from her new DVD was perfect for me this morning. Even though the practice is called "Rejuvenate", I found it very relaxing and it might be my favorite on this DVD.

I'll also be going on a neighborhood walk with my grandson this morning.

Cyana, I hope I'm always able to lift weights for the rest of my life but I'm not sure if that will happen. I was disappointed that there are no VFers in the 80+ age category in the recent poll and there was only one VFer in the 70+ age range.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 10:22 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
[B]I was disappointed that there are no VFers in the 80+ age category in the recent poll and there was only one VFer in the 70+ age range.
Paine, that doesn't mean they aren't out there! I tend not to do polls myself because I then don't want to be subscribed to all the comments.

VF has definitely gotten yoga, although I think there are a number veterans still around.

Follow me @YogiBethC