Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-23, 01:28 PM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

Any full time at home caregivers?

Hi, I was wondering if there were any full Time in home caregivers here and if you have problems establishing a regular workout routine?

Last edited by lgentry; 02-19-23 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Delete
lgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-23, 04:29 PM  
BunnyHop

I was one for a long time, and it definitely affected my ability to stay in good shape.

Shorter, more deliberately paced workouts seem to be best for me, even now.

Stuff like Classical Stretch and work with weights, in combination with regular walking worked well for me.

OTOH, in retrospect I can see that my daily life was way off balance. I was on my feet in go-go-go mode all day, slept with one eye open, and really didn't get enough good rest.

My recommendations to anyone else attempting this work is to make room in your life for every sort of self care. Good nutrition, adequate rest, time to yourself (yeah, that one can be challenging) and space in your life for some personal interests.

Yoga Nidra was a godsend for me, it's a specific form of meditation that's designed to be done lying down.

I've since learned that simply making time to be still is good for me, and helps me feel rested. Yoga nidra was a good start, but there are other ways to get what they call non-sleep-deep rest. It's made a huge difference for me, because I still have trouble sleeping (not as much, but it's still an issue). Making time to lie down and just get still and physically relaxed is a huge improvement for me.
Old 02-19-23, 05:55 PM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgentry View Post
Hi, I was wondering if there were any full Time in home caregivers here and if you have problems establishing a regular workout routine?
Thanks for the advice! I love yoga so I’ll look up yoga nidra😃my mom just turned 97 but is fairly healthy, still a lot of responsibility
Old 02-19-23, 10:34 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgentry View Post
Thanks for the advice! I love yoga so I’ll look up yoga nidra😃my mom just turned 97 but is fairly healthy, still a lot of responsibility
Glad to help, for sure. The yoga nidra practices I like best are fairly straightforward ones with not much in the way of auditory distractions like music. Conscious Relaxation: Serenity Now! by Karen Klutznick
The cd seems pretty expensive now, but the download's not bad.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003J0JQ4E

Hers is very similar to one by Rod Stryker called Relax into Greatness. (She had his permission.) I like them both, but prefer hers.

There are tons of recordings out there calling themselves yoga nidra, and I'm honestly not sure most of them truly are that, LOL!!

If your yoga nidra search doesn't find you a recording you click with, try searching for non sleep deep rest on youtube or Insight Timer.
Old 02-20-23, 12:49 AM  
Demeris

lgentry, I have not been a fulltime caregiver--only helping here and there the last few years before my father died.

BUT I wanted to tell you that i love the Payson area. I dream about having a summer home in Strawberry or Pine (not Payson, but close enough for government work).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-23, 10:24 AM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

Very interesting I’ll give it a try
Old 02-20-23, 10:26 AM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

Pine and Strawberry are beautiful places to live, I love the wildlife there
Old 02-27-23, 04:10 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Sort of. My grandma moved in with me last spring. She's 92 and relatively independent. My kids are 11 and 13 and I still work full-time. Fortunately I work from home, so I'm still getting up really early to get in the workouts.

Does your mom need help with everything? Is getting some help an option? I have a friend here whose mom moved in 8 years ago. Recently she hired someone to come in a few hours a day, 3 times a week so she can have a little break.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 09:07 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yes. Sort of. Not like others. My husband has a lot of chronic pain problems and does not feel very good about 98.75% of the time. Plus, he has an eye issue and can't see well enough to drive. So I take up a lot of slack at home and take him to his many appointments. Some weeks are crazed and others are pretty quiet.

I've gotten away from exercising and need to get back to it. It's not a time issue. It's an energy and and desire thing. I was going to the YMCA 3 days a week and need to get back to that or something else.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-23, 08:48 AM  
donellda

I had to care for my father early in the pandemic in 2020. He did not want to go to a LTC facility so I arranged for home care for him. He lost his home care because I was a health care worker who worked in a US hospital (I live in Canada). The company that I hired refused to go to my father's house if I was going to see him. So I had to arrange to work only on weekends so that I could care for my dad during the week. My husband went to his house on the weekends. Unfortunately, he passed away on an early Sunday morning and my husband found him.

My workouts suffered. I tried to do 20 minute workouts in the morning before I went to my dad's house. This was often interrupted by my father's fall alarm. I would have to go to his house to make sure he did not need an ambulance. A couple of times he activated the alarm himself to see what would happen.
Luckily, he just lived a few blocks away so I could be there in 2 minutes. I have a brother but he lives in Ann Arbor and could not cross the border because of the border shut down.

Tags
at home care givers, care givers, caregivers, caregiving, full time care givers, yoga nidra