Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-05-22, 03:06 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - cardio barre intermediate
today - Just Joyce bra roll and boob (back & chest LOL) and Just thighs

so yesterday we did a little road trip to Tulsa to see the Woody Guthrie center which has a Bruce Springsteen exhibit right now. Met up with our friends from when I worked at the University of Tulsa and our daughter and her BF drove up also. It was nice.

buzzer - I still dress up more than most faculty - usually slacks and a blazer/jacket. I like it, I also think it helps me feel more professional. I like dressing up when we actually go somewhere which is almost never. I think I would have turned off the dvd when someone walked in. I'm shy about stuff like that. Yellowstone is amazing isn't it!

ebianco - that caroline workouts looks great I love the idea of static holds. not a typical workout!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-22, 03:32 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Today I finished my workout week with barre, I took a break from Pure Barre and did some Barlates. I did a bunch of Barlates 5 Best Exercises chapters: Upper body, triceps, lower abs, standing thigh blast at the barre, inner thigh, and outer thighs at the mat. It took about 48 minutes altogether. The funny thing is that I have the DVD but it was just easier to skip around on youtube directly LOL. After I did a stretch for an overall 54 minute workout. Even these short segments were toughies! I really like Linda and her workouts. She hasn't produced anything new in quite some time and I hope she is doing okay.

I'm officially one week down on doing my 3000+ steps a day! Actually I averaged above 4000 last week! And I walked today at a park too and have about 4000 steps in. Even in this short time the scale has been downtrending and I swear I look slightly leaner. I am also trying to really pull in my calories, and eat less junk (today/yesterday I did eat a little junk...and chinese food because it's the weekend, but in general I am doing great) so both of these initiatives are helping I'm sure.

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer I don't like following a workout video in front of other people either. I had roommates years ago and I didn't have enough room to workout in my bedroom, so I was forced to work out in the 'common' living room. And my roommates would just stand there and stare at me like I was some kind of spectacle!

Your vacation sounds nice, I hope the weather improves for you!!

Well I'm counting the steps outside of my regular exercise, which was basically nothing So all the walking I am doing I am trying to view as a 'relaxing activity' and NOT 'exercise' and I'm trying to walk at a moderate pace, not push myself too hard. More just to be active than to up my exercise. Especially because I don't want my appetite to increase.
Old 06-06-22, 06:45 AM  
Buzzer

Walking and running on a treadmill... DONE!

This was unplanned, but I actually liked it! I went to the workout room in the hotel we are at now, and it apparently was just thrown together to say they had a workout room. You have to walk through the room with the spas to get to it, it is small too. Barely enough room for the recumbent bike, treadmill, and stair master they had in there lined up. I got on the treadmill, but it wouldn't work. I noticed the emergency stop was missing. So I went to the stair master. It was glitching with this computer screen thing, and I couldn't use any of the controls. So I just used it how it was, and the flickering computer screen annoyed me. I turned on the TV, however it wasn't programmed so I had to program it. After a while, the menu came on and started scrolling really fast... I saw food network was channel 18 so I quick typed "18" on the remote.

The TV somehow was on "audio only" so I could hear this lady cooking some amazing food, but couldn't see it! HA! I couldn't figure out how to get it out of audio only mode. I finally decided I was done with that crap and left it on audio only. I was frustrated with the stair master after about 10 minutes, so I brought a yoga mat cover (cloth) with me, and decided to just stretch. I forgot to bring my computer out so I couldn't do a video. As I went down to stretch, I found the emergency stop button! So I put it on the treadmill and decided to use it.

I walked a lot, but decided to try walk for a minute, run for a minute. I actually did it!! The first time in forever I ran, but it felt so, so good. I sure missed it! I didn't run fast (4.5 mph), but I felt the clearing out I used to feel when I ran. I loved it, and will do it again today. I only did walk/run for 20 minutes including the warm up and a 2 minute cool down, but it was so nice. I remembered why I loved to run, which I forgot about! sigh. So I will probably do that again today.

I was worried I would be super sore today, but I am not. I ended up with 19,882 steps yesterday with my treadmill work and little walks we took yesterday!

We got to a geyser and a whole bunch of rangers were there. We figured it must be something if they are all there, and we waited about 45 minutes but the geyser erupted and it was really, really cool! I t erupted for about 5 minutes! The ranger we talked to said that it erupts really seldom, so we were lucky to be in the right place at the right time. It was pretty spectacular! Then we were driving away, and stopped at another one. I told DH "this one already erupted" because we saw it in the background of the one we were waiting for. As my sentence finished, THAT one erupted! We were teh only ones there watching, then people that were at the other geyser started filtering over right about when it was finishing up. That was so cool too!

We walked around a lot of the hot pot things, the colored pools of hot water. They are beautiful. hard to believe you are just walking around inside a volcano! So pretty. Yesterday was LB's birthday, so we also went to a bear and wolf experience in West Yellowstone. She got to go into the bear habitat and hide food for the bears! That was so cool. She had a great birthday.

Today we are finishing up at Yellowstone (sadly), and moving up to Montana. It's been raining the whole time, but it's kept the crowds low and we have actually really enjoyed it. My shoes were sloppy wet at the end of yesterday, but I'm sure I'll get them dried and enjoy today! Lots of bison and elk, no bear or any other critter. LOTS of bison! HA! That's been the main animal we have seen!

Eventmom: I love Bruce Springsteen! That would be so cool to see! I'm glad you got to meet up with old friends. That is always so nice.

Ebianco: I had a roommate in college and I usually hid in my room to do my workouts. At the time I had Firm Vol 1 on a cassette tape that I would listen to and do. After college I swore I'd never have roommates again until I got married, so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. I recently found my recording of vol 1 though! I no longer own anything to play it on. But I will keep it just because. Luckily it doesn't take up much space!

I have to admit, after the running/walking I felt so good. I felt less bloated for sure. I might see about getting a treadmill when we finish the garage. I just felt good. My left knee was kinda painful though, and I was able to walk it out when I took the doggies out for their constitutional. I remember my knees giving me trouble. So maybe there is something to feeling better from walking/running and not just aerobics.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 11:59 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - Jessica Smith dynamic stretch
this is part of her stretch dvd that was a thrift store find. this was pretty good. I had planned some kundalini yoga but the men who can remove the trees on our fence line texted they had an opening in their schedule and could come today. So I skipped yoga and got my horses up out of the field.

ebianco - great results IMO sounds like the walking is a good way to get your dogs out and get light/low stress cardio in.

buzzer- wow, Volume 1 on cassette! It's amazing what hangs around (I found some 1985 homework assignments from grad school a couple of weeks ago). It was really fun to hang out with our friends and check out the exhibits. I just wanted something fun to do = we didn't take time off for spring break.
Old 06-08-22, 06:26 AM  
Buzzer

Ui

Walked to dogs... DONE!

The last two days I have walked the doggies. Otis first, since he's more energetic. We walked about 2 1/2 miles a day at a brisk pace. Then comes Eugene, who isn't as energetic and would rather sniff everything. We walked about a mile each day. So about 3 1/2 miles walked two days.. DONE!

My shins are kinda sore, but that's to be expected since I haven't walked that much in years. It was good though! Very quiet. The walk around West Yellowstone was nice. I took Otis from one end of that town to the other twice. It was before people woke up, and it was so quiet. Yesterday I took Otis all the way across town again, across Anaconda Montana. The houses are so close together! There was a guy with his dog off leash that cussed me out because I didn't want his dog approaching mine. He told me I was a "land lady" and I should go eff myself. I used some sailor language back to him and it was interesting to meet the towns cranky guy right off the bat. Not a good first impression!

However I recovered and went on to enjoy the rest of the walk. We finally had a day where we could do nothing, so LB and I swam until about 1pm. Then DH wanted to go to a restaurant where he knows the guy who owns it, so we got in the car and started driving. I google mapped the restaurant... 2 hours, 22 minutes away! I said "so we are spending 5 hours in the car to go eat at this restaurant??" he kinda acted put out, but then decided to maybe go to the town we will be mining for sapphires instead. Which is only 45 minutes away. So we did that. I would rather have knocked around Anaconda, or swam all day, watched TV, took quiet time, took a walk.... but I'm a homebody and need downtime!

So anyhow, we drove a lot anyhow. BUT, we stopped at the museum and it was fabulous! Lots of mining history. They had bedrooms set up to look like old time rooms, and kitchens, and miners cabins, and a mine shaft you could walk into... it was so cool! I loved that.

Today we are packing up again and headed to go mine for sapphires. Or pan for them? or wash for them? I don't know what to call it. They give you the dirt, you wash it and look for stones.

Then we drive to Idaho falls. LB and I are pressed for space, so I am going to see if I can make more space for us this morning. The driving is getting tough.

I am not relaxing much at all, I feel that stress in my chest the whole trip. We always have somewhere to be, or are driving, or packing or unpacking... I am not a good roadtripper. I am a good "plant yourself at a hotel and use it as a hub to go places, but return to the familiar hotel" kinda person. So this trip has been a blur and stressful.

It's kinda sad when you are counting down the days of your trip so you can get home and relax! HA!

Oh well. We are seeing a lot and doing a lot. It's just a lot of busyness for a mostly introvert and home body.

Eventmom: It is crazy what makes it through the filters of life! I can't believe I didn't get rid of that cassette years ago. I used to throw everything away or donate it all when I was single. Finding this was a big surprise! But of course, now I must keep it. It's like 30 something years old, or maybe even more. I am realizing on the trip now how outdated and cluttered our house still is. I am anxious to get back and finish what I was doing!

Hi Ebianco!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-08-22, 02:17 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I started my workout week with legs, I took a break from Caroline and did Fitness_kaykay instead (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMC8...4uVpN&index=15) and it was great!! It was probably still "easier" than Caroline just from not being as grueling, more variety of exercises, etc., but still a lot of burnout and I LOVED the metabolic aspect. My heart rate was really high, probably thanks to the leg press type exercises, and it seemed like it hit more glutes/hamstrings but then there was some quad burnout at the end with wall squats! This workout just really jived with me, I marked it down for future use. Since it's a shorter workout (without her warm up/cool down, it's only about 30 minutes) I added this Caroline ab workout (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bgV...dex=109&t=664s) which was also fantastic! It was so hard. I just used one 8# weight and my abs were totally burning. With my warm up and stretch it was an overall 54 minute workout.

Eventmom The Jessica Smith stretch DVD is an awesome thrift store find!!

Thank you and the steps are going great, I'm about a week and half consistent with it and I definitely feel it is helping tremendously.

Buzzer Great job on adapting with the hotel equipment and getting in a great walk/run! And all the extra walking on vacation. That is TOTALLY cool about the geyser erupting!!

That is so funny about Firm Volume 1 on cassette! I didn't even know they had such a thing!

Vacations are great but sometimes they are very stressful because of the itinerary and all you want to do, very little down time, and especially if it's a road trip with driving and having to be places! I don't think I realized before that you decided to bring the dogs on vacation with you??
Old 06-08-22, 06:10 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday- action Jacquelyn cardio barre remix and 15 min reps to the rhythm walk
today - margaret richard sculpture upper - yep it's still hard, only skipped a few reps

ebianco- the jessica is a pretty good dvd but I like her don't love her. exercise dvds have been harder to find at thrift stores! that looks like a good tough enough workout to me!

buzzer - speaking of finding stuff - I had a compiler (for writing computer programs) from my dissertation so like 1987 or 1988. Just found it when I was cleaning out my closet tossed it on ebay and got $70, probably left some $ on the table. anyway - I totally get keeping the firm audio. I'm like you, changing hotels often is much more stressful than staying in one place, it's the packing and repacking that just gets to be too much.
Old 06-09-22, 07:26 AM  
Buzzer

Upper body work just using exercises off the top of my head... DONE!
walked the dogs, about 1 mile each... DONE!

I was pressed for time (of course) so I went out to the workout room at 6am. I had an hour to get everything done, including walk the dogs! So I did a quick upper body of 3 exercises per muscle group, two rounds. So I did push ups, chest fly and chest press, then repeated them all. Or overhead press, anterior and lateral raises, then post delt flies. then did the exercise again. It was good, and I was done in about 25 minutes. I ran up to the room and hooked up Otis, and got him right away on a brisk walk for a mile. We knocked that out in a little less than 15 minutes. Then I grabbed Eugene, and we took a slower walk for the same path, maybe a little shorter. So maybe less than a mile for him. He is a foot dragger though!

It was good though. No one in the fitness room, and although I felt rushed, it was nice to lift. The fitness room was really nice, although since it's attached to the pool (so common!) it was hot!!

Yesterday day a big day of driving. We drove about 45 minutes to go wash sapphires, and that took the morning until about 1:30. Then we went to the restaurant DH wanted to go to that his friend owns, so although it was a nice visit, it added about 2 hours of extra driving out of our way. I suppose it is better than the 5 hours of extra driving that it would have taken the previous day, so there's that! So instead of 3 hours 58 minutes in the car, we were 6 hours 20 minutes. With all the dog walking and working out, I haven't been able to take a shower for the last 2 days. When I get back from the walks, it's time to panic pack and get into the car to get somewhere! So I stunk.

Last night we got into Idaho Falls, and I was so tired I could barely stand up. It was after 10pm, and I was dealing with unpacking the things we needed for the night and next morning. So I just went to bed stinky. I did not even care. This morning we have a slower morning so I will workout, walk the dogs, and SHOWER!!

All we are doing today is Bear World, then driving about 3 1/2 hours to Wyoming, where our final hotel is for two nights. This hotel is nice, LB has a room upstairs in the loft, there's a little microwave/small fridge/ coffee bar area, a sink, then a separate living room with a fireplace, couch and coffee table. DH and I are in a room with a KING SIZE bed! It's huge! But so nice to have space like that!! I told DH I am not running around this morning, we will have a leisurely morning. I am going to drink coffee, perhaps go workout, walk the dogs, then as LB wakes up we will go to breakfast. I am not rushing this morning!

I'm exhausted.

Eventmom: I need to go through a lot of stuff still. I looked into eBay selling, but like merari and posh, the people who expect things new that are used puts me off. I don't want to spend time and money to send someone something, then have them dispute the sale and get all their money back and I lose not only the item but also my postage and time. So I am holding onto things instead of even trying. I need to get past this barrier. I'm sure in the listing I need to put something like "this is not a new item. It is used in used condition" so people don't scam me. So stupid.
I am struggling with not only packing and unpacking, but also with always feeling like we have to be somewhere. We check into a hotel late at night, pay a crap ton of money, and leave within 12 hours. Then have to drive forever. It's just too much for me! Pretty, but too much.

Ebianco: We do have the doggos! They have pretty much the back of the car. They have room to both lay their fuzzy bodies down and look out the back. I rearranged LB's space because the dogs had a ton of room, and she had her seat and that was it. She had no foot room or elbow room. So I stole room from them. I told her it wasn't right that the dogs had more than enough room and she was uncomfortable. She did better yesterday after I rearranged. The doggies are so good! They haven't complained at all. They hang out in the car and look out the window. They seem to be having a great time!

We have been limited in our hotel choices and how much we pay because of them though, extra charges of course for them (even though they leave less of a mess than most kids and adults do!) and once you use the doggie filter looking for rooms, the choices are very limited. But, it's cheaper than boarding them, and we know they are looked after. Plus they get to see new things too. The loudest they have been was yesterday they, for some reason, decided to bark at people walking outside the car at the hotel. It was funny though! Other than that, they are just quietly going along with us.

I was a little annoyed at taking them for walks instead of working out, but quite honestly I think the walks will be something I will remember. I got to see something in each city I wouldn't have otherwise, and see the cities before the people wake up. So that feels like something I will remember more than a workout room.

Today we are swimming too. Come hell or high water, we are taking time and SWIMMING.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-09-22, 11:49 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I continued my workout week today with upper body, I did this toughie Caroline EPIC Endgame workout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3S...4uVpN&index=16) and am feeling soreness already! It was tougher because the sets were 60 seconds each but there was a nice long 30 second break in between. Shoulder raises were the staple exercise so there was a lot of burnout. For the finisher she did 100 reps of more shoulder raises (no thanks!) so I did 50 reps of skull crushers for extra tricep work. With warm up, light cardio, and stretch it was a 56 minute workout.

Tomorrow I'm not sure what I'll do, cardio, hiit, extended stretch, more abs? Then I have a Vera LaRo total body on Saturday and Pure Barre or Barlates on Sunday.

Eventmom I love MR Sculpture! I think that's the first MR workout I got then I ordered a few more DVDs while they were super cheap/clearance prices. It's a toughie!

Buzzer Wow that must be fun to go on vacation with the doggos!! Even with their walks taking up exercise time, that does sound like wonderful memories being made! Hopefully the extra cost at the hotel washes somewhat with what you would have been paying to board them. I would love to vacation with my doggos too but with five it's just impractical. I would love to see them at the beach, at a big national park, "meeting" unusual animals like on a farm, all kinds of things! Haha maybe someday but I would have to just limit to 1-2 dogs.
Old 06-09-22, 01:48 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Margaret Richard sculpture lower body did nearly all the reps! LOL!

buzzer - I've been selling on ebay on and off for quite some time. Most clothes I send to thred up - you don't get much but it's pretty much hassle free. There are some clothing lines I'll list on ebay but I'm pretty selective - the item really has to be in great condition or it's just not worth it. All that driving would wear me down too! I think it's great you were able to take your dogs.

ebianco - I've got a pretty good MR collection as she was my go to for quite awhile - say 15 years ago and started with VHS so maybe longer ago than 15 years. Maybe one day I'll get up the courage to try Caroline.