Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-31-22, 05:16 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Just returned a never opened white board I got about a month ago to Aldi. I got a larger one for free from work as a office downsizing bonus. Another thing gone!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-22, 05:53 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
question for everyone:
what hobbies have you "let go" and which ones have you "kept" including fitness (if that can be considered a hobby!)?

i'm noticing that my piles of clutter are hobby-related. And "hobby" is a plural word for me! i have to let go of some of my hobbies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Yes. Cookbooks. I pared down my collection and haven't missed one donated book. Looking at the remaining books i am thinking of copying the recipes i use and donate the book. The books I will keep???? Cookies cookbook.
I know this is an older question but regarding hobbies they are/were:
1) Fitness. I really don't have too much trouble getting rid of DVDs or equipment that I don't use. Over the years I have sold/donated: Fluidity bar, BOSU, 2 rebounders, an adjustable weight set (it was too awkward for me to use) and a heavy hanging bag. Plus lots of DVDs.
2) Knitting/crocheting: I don't do this anymore but want to get back to it. I keep telling myself I will get back to it when I become a grandmother. I gave some yarn to Sherry to gift to Garrie for the holiday gift exchange and also gave my giftee some yarn. I am not ready to get rid of my needles and related accessories but am about to go through a few bags to see what I can get rid of. Dawn, I don't like knitting with acrylic either.
3) I didn't have tons of cookbooks but I recently got rid of a few (or they are on the donate pile) I scanned the recipes I am interested in keeping. However we inherited a copy of this classic from my MIL and it is such a hoot I won't get rid of it: https://www.amazon.com/Alices-Restau.../dp/039440100X
The collectible ones are quite alot of money but I don't have the recorded introduction by Arlo Guthrie. Not sure who would buy this as the cookbook itself is really bad but it is a fun item from another time.
Old 08-07-22, 10:26 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Went through some files and got rid of a lot of paperwork mostly related to my parents' estates. I still have to go through some tax returns and scan what is not scanned and then shred. Work has a shredding truck coming on Thursday so hope to bring a huge bag of paper to them before then.

ETA: Went through my knit/crochet stuff. I got rid of a needle case that was falling apart and some odds and ends. I have 3 Unfinished projects (UFOs in knit-speak) that I need to rip out or toss because I have no idea where I am in the pattern and even if I did know, I am not sure I would use the item anyway. I have a small amount of yarn that I use for practicing stitches which I will keep.
I have a several hanks of beautiful wool/silk yarn. I found several patterns for cowls and I am determined to find time to start one of them. I probably have enough yarn for several cowls/scarves. This is the yarn: https://manos.uy/yarns/silk-blend The color I have is Woodland (SB 3109)
I am thinking of making this: https://fairmountfibers.com/collecti...ragon-cowl-f62
Old 08-08-22, 07:27 AM  
Izzy

I have no problem donating my exercise DVD's and equipment. If I am not using it then it should go to someone who will. I have donated a lot of DVD's over the past 7 years mostly to my library.

This weekend was hot and rainy. We needed rain so I was not complaining. I got a lot of inside stuff done and a box ready to go to Goodwill. In the summer I struggle with doing inside workouts. I much rather be outside walking or biking. Even if I already walked, I will walk or bike again just to get the fresh air. I just crave it. But it was nice to tackle some inside stuff Saturday and Sunday. I still got in two walks on Saturday and one walk on Sunday. It was humid but I was glad to get out of the stale AC for a bit. I set a goal yesterday to get at least 50% of my basement cleared out by Christmas. I will report back.

Keep up the good work.

Mary
Old 08-10-22, 01:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

donated 2 boxes of shoes to a homeless program. majority were my kids' athletic shoes that they stopped using.

am listening to this audiobook borrowed from the library:

Year of No Clutter by Eve O. Schaub

this book was written from the perspective of the clutterer, something quite rare. i discovered I have a twin who thinks like i do.

https://www.amazon.com/Year-No-Clutt.../dp/B01MYA4G46

Goodreads review:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-of-no-clutter

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-22, 01:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I know this is an older question but regarding hobbies they are/were:
1) Fitness. I really don't have too much trouble getting rid of DVDs or equipment that I don't use. Over the years I have sold/donated: Fluidity bar, BOSU, 2 rebounders, an adjustable weight set (it was too awkward for me to use) and a heavy hanging bag. Plus lots of DVDs.
2) Knitting/crocheting: I don't do this anymore but want to get back to it. I keep telling myself I will get back to it when I become a grandmother. I gave some yarn to Sherry to gift to Garrie for the holiday gift exchange and also gave my giftee some yarn. I am not ready to get rid of my needles and related accessories but am about to go through a few bags to see what I can get rid of. Dawn, I don't like knitting with acrylic either.
3) I didn't have tons of cookbooks but I recently got rid of a few (or they are on the donate pile) I scanned the recipes I am interested in keeping. However we inherited a copy of this classic from my MIL and it is such a hoot I won't get rid of it: https://www.amazon.com/Alices-Restau.../dp/039440100X
The collectible ones are quite alot of money but I don't have the recorded introduction by Arlo Guthrie. Not sure who would buy this as the cookbook itself is really bad but it is a fun item from another time.
I was hoping our library had the *Alice cookbook - they do have a book written by her titled "How to Massage Your Cat" - i might look into that!

Knitting is a skill i tried to do, but i could never finish anything - and we're talking simple Barbie dresses. :-/

one hobby i have downsized was fabric for sewing. during the pandemic, it swelled slightly, but this time i purchased small pieces of fabric. no where near the boxes and boxes of fabric i used to keep.

i had downsized books in our last home, but it grew again - this time with cookbooks. i got rid of some of them, but need to get back on it again.

*EDITED TO ADD:
Apparently, the Alice Cookbook resides on this non-profit "Internet Archive" site - does anyone belong to it? here's their website:
https://archive.org/about/

they seem to have uploaded books "of cultural significance." there's even an image of Arlo Guthrie that you had referred to when you look at the Alice Cookbook webpage on their site (scroll to the bottom to see the Arlo images):
https://archive.org/details/alicesre...ge/n1/mode/2up

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-22, 04:41 PM  
sciencelady

I've been successful decluttering some things from my house! About a month ago I took my seashell collection to an arts and crafts store - I kept some cowries, which I loved and three larger beautiful shells. The cowries are now glued into a display case with their names. I took my inherited, but unwearable jewelry, old coins, and silver ingots I got as presents as a kid to a jewelry store to be appraised and sold - haven't gotten values back yet, but feels good to get things going. I kept one coin that will remind me of my father and his collection habit. I also have a whole bag of costume jewelry that I'll be donating to a charity resale shop once I get the first batch valued. These are big collections of stuff I wanted cleared out now.

I'll be moving to a senior living place that's being built in about a year and a half - I'll have another year to get the house ready for resale and another summer to downsize on my orchids. I did sell a huge Bird of Paradise plant that I've had about thirty years and is a bloomer in spring on Facebook - I got 86 people waiting for a response on it! Gad to get that out of here - it was 8 feet tall and weighed about 200 lbs in its container . I'm glad I have the time to downsize and prepare for my move waaaaay ahead of time!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 12:58 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Good for you Anita in planning ahead. Sometimes a goal like that will help with motivation and focus.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 12:26 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Just popping in to say hello! I've been at a snails pace for decluttering. There has been so much to do work related and the weather is nice so the real elbow grease type decluttering can wait for a blustery day. I've done a little paper shredding and some virtual declutter. I have a thrift box going but it's filling up slowly. We are keeping up with the recycling things, like newspaper, cans and plastic.

Mary, glad you recovered from Covid. It can effect everyone so differently.

Leslie, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. 17 years a good long life and I'm sure she is greatly missed.

Anita, way to go on rehoming such a large plant! Nice that there was so much interest.

Vannie, did you ever find a good way to repurpose the nonstick pots and pans? I'm always looking for repurpose ideas.

Waves to everyone else! Awesome progress!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 12:50 PM  
Vantreesta

I haven't figured it out yet, Katie. They are all stacked up in the basement looking at me, waiting for inspiration to strike. I am trying to figure out a cute way to turn them into critters for outside (with rust-proof paint, of course).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, organizing, organizing the home, relocating