Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-06, 12:34 AM  
Mary09

I like this workout but it always reminds me of at the end of Kathy Smith's first step video (I think that's the one), she has a little chat section with a dr. or someone and they talk about how it's not wise to use weights while stepping. Has anyone else seen that or read that anywhere?
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 06:14 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

This is my favorite Gilad workout. It just motivates me. And, usually the weights are swimming in a pool of sweat by the end. I know - Ewwww. But, it feels great anyway. I particularly enjoy the scenery behind Gilad and dream of going back to Hawaii one day while doing this workout!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 08:11 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

If you like this workout format, you MUST try a very early Gin Miller tape, The 29 Minute Step Workout. It doesn't show or mention Gin anywhere on the cover, but its unmistakably Gin. Its my favorite workout ever, and when I started I used soup cans, then worked up to cream soup. Now I do it with 2lb weights and my upper body is COOKED at the end and I am dripping with sweat. And the choreo is NOT dancy at all. I love it. i got Step and Tone hoping to have a second workout like this one.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 08:30 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09
I like this workout but it always reminds me of at the end of Kathy Smith's first step video (I think that's the one), she has a little chat section with a dr. or someone and they talk about how it's not wise to use weights while stepping. Has anyone else seen that or read that anywhere?
I know I've read this elsewhere as well but I don't know if it's just a general disclaimer to prevent potential injuries - it certainly increases the risk anyway - or if there is more science behind it.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 10:27 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Step & Tone was my first step video, and I used it a lot. I was so proud of myself when I could jump from 2 lb to 3 lb weights. I think I need to pull it out again soon.

AFAA (one of the group exercise instructor certifications) says no stepping with weights. All their guidelines are set for general population exercising, so it's basically to cover your rear since there are so many different types of people with different exercise backgrounds in a group ex class.

Alison
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 11:36 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think you can develop shoulder problems etc. if you go too heavy and don't keep control of the weights. There is a potential risk for injury. You do have to be careful with it, but i think most fairly fit people (you don't have to be superfit) can do this workout without any problems.
Old 02-06-06, 12:20 PM  
ellens2

I just do this workout without any weights since I'm usually doing it for cardio benefit between weight only days. It is a great workout.
ellens2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gilad, gilad step