Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-21, 10:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, I don't dislike Adriene...I've done her challenges before and have some of her videos saved. I just think it's a shame that non-vidiots sometimes see her as the be-all end-all of YouTube yoga! I've also heard/seen many comments to the effect of "yoga is all thin young white people," so that's partly why I want people to realize how heterogenous the field really is.

RE Matt's couch...I noticed that it was round and wondered if it was comfortable; I didn't really notice that it was orange!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 10:48 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Pam, I don't dislike Adriene...I've done her challenges before and have some of her videos saved. I just think it's a shame that non-vidiots sometimes see her as the be-all end-all of YouTube yoga! I've also heard/seen many comments to the effect of "yoga is all thin young white people," so that's partly why I want people to realize how heterogenous the field really is.
That’s a good point, although it too bad that some would discount her simply because she is thin, young, & white. I’ve heard similar comments about Essentrics since Miranda has taken more of a back seat. The young toothpick thin instructors don’t represent their primary demographic.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 10:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
That’s a good point, although it too bad that some would discount her simply because she is thin, young, & white. I’ve heard similar comments about Essentrics since Miranda has taken more of a back seat. The young toothpick thin instructors don’t represent their primary demographic.
...maybe not discounting Adriene per se as much as thinking that yoga is not for them by not seeing more yoga teachers like them. I just want to see plenty of representation so that everyone thinks there is some kind of yoga for them.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-12-21, 11:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
...maybe not discounting Adriene per se as much as thinking that yoga is not for them by not seeing more yoga teachers like them. I just want to see plenty of representation so that everyone thinks there is some kind of yoga for them.
Yes fitness & flexibility comes in all shapes & sizes.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 03-13-21, 10:50 AM  
sherry7899

I took a rest day yesterday. I woke up at 2:30 am with the worst wave of grief. I will spare the details. Today will be better, I hope!

This morning I did:

-NIA "Opal" class from the studio in Denver, which was lovely
-Yoga with Kanssandra, morning Yin, no props, which I really enjoyed

I started out liking Yoga with Adriene, but to be honest, she ended up getting on my last nerve. Nothing against her. She seems very sweet and knowledgeable, but her incessant talking really bugs me. Plus, sometimes I feel like she's making up the practice as she goes along. I love more focused you tube instructors like Yoga Upload and Yoga Ranger and a ton of others. I wish other instructors got more attention on you tube.

I did some cleaning and laundry today. I'm not sure what else will be going on. A friend is stopping over later. I'm not feeling very social, but I'm trying to push myself. He is friends with Matthew also (works in our local favorite record store) so hopefully he will be home to see him also.

Cyana, I'm sorry about your missing TENS unit. I bought one from Amazon ages ago and have yet to use it. I keep forgetting it needs to be charged for at least 12 hours first! I should do that. I'm home all the time anyway.

Have a good day.
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 12:13 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! I didn't walk yesterday, alas, but did enjoy the Holden subscription and did another hour long practice. I think I'm feeling some benefits - maybe a little longer sleep, does my back really hurt 1% less? Hmm. Normally I couldn't tolerate an hour of qigong but something about these live practices keeps me engaged. There's a lot of variety and so many tips and form pointers.

Cyana, thank you for that link on Karen Holden. She is a trailblazer! How would you like to have taken her aerobic/chi/yoga classes?

{{{Sherry}}} I'm so sorry. Thanks for reporting on the new Kassandra, it's on my to do soon list. Are you going to participate in the evening yoga challenge? I did one of her meditations this morning and it was very nice.

Beth and Pam - interesting comments about Adriene yoga. From time to time I read the yoga group posts on Connect, which is a sort of WW Facebook platform that comes with our program app. I get bored quickly because everyone in there is an Adriene groupie. One of the things I love about Glo is the diversity of instructors and styles of yoga and fitness classes.

I don't dislike Adriene, she just doesn't tickle my yoga fancy. If she gets people on the mat and a healthier path, then more power to her. Those are my exact feelings toward Leslie S., I could never take a shine to her, but bravo to her fans and to her for motivating them.

Paine, Karen Holden is totally a far out mother. Love that! I wonder if that video survived somewhere? I loved the Kung Fu show when I was a kid, but later learned that Bruce Lee had tested for that role but the producers picked David Carradine over Bruce despite David having no martial arts training, and the obvious fact he was white. Hollywood works in strange ways.

I am being philosophical today. My son sent me a laptop and I've got to unbox it and set everything up now.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 12:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I like Adriene, but not as a steady diet. I’m slowly working my way through this 30 Day challenge. She is a bit chatty, but she’s got nothing on Pahla B, lol. I did one of her rebounding workouts a few months ago and my head was spinning after. I don’t think she stopped to take breath through the whole 25 min. I don’t mind Leslie now and then, but she can grate on me. I’m loathe to try any more YouTube workouts other than Beth’s yoga. I’m so sick of commercial interruptions, I guess my patience is wearing thin. But TBH, when it comes to yoga, I most often enjoy doing my own thing while I listen to music or an audiobook.

Sherry - I’m so sorry, sending you (((hugs))).

Pat - I’m glad you’re enjoying the Qi Gong sub.

We are doing some indoor painting today, the house needs a freshening up.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 03-13-21, 12:49 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

YouTube: 20 min Morning Yin Yoga Full Body Stretch - NO PROPS Yoga with Kassandra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5v8...awithKassandra
1 mile walk

I saw that Sherry did the practice above--I quickly previewed it and knew I'd love it so I did it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks Sherry! I've been doing kitchen work all morning, cleaned the downstairs bathroom and washed the floor plus walked a mile.

Sherry, grief is a frigging bitch. I'm sending you hugs and love.

Pat, Enjoy your new laptop!
If they chose David Carradine over Bruce Lee because of race, that's disappointing and awful.
I found David Carradine's Tai Chi Workout (link below). I scanned through the workout but I'm not sure which one is Karen Holden (or if she is even in the video).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDB...neCoinTwoSides
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 01:24 PM  
cyana

The good news - my toes weren't frozen after going to the market and I also purchased some beautiful locally grown tulips and anemones (cut flowers).

Yesterday I ended up doing Matt's Raise Your Vibration yin practice from YT and I swear the sofa looked red in that video, LOL! Red or orange, it still looks like a comfy People Nest. I could definitely see myself enjoying a good snuggle with some pillows, cozy throw, cup of hot tea and a good book. I also listened to some singing bowls on YT after my yoga practice.

Sherry - (((HHugs))). Hope you have a better day today.

Pam - I hope you didn't think I was being critical of you in my comments about Adrienne, as that definitely wasn't the intent. Like Beth, I guess it bugs me when people label her as the do all/be all of yoga (I didn't interpret your remarks that way) when there are so many good instructors out there. She got on YT at a good time, she established relationships with some well-known people who helped her expand her brand and if she works for you, by all means go for it. I think Sherry might have put her finger on it for me - some days I don't want much (or any) chat during yoga, and sometimes Adrienne is just a bit too chatty, although she seems likely a genuinely nice person (and her dog is cute, too). OMG, while Pahla B seems like a lovely person, I know I absolutely couldn't do a straight 30 days even though she's had some challenges that sounded interesting. Someone could be the world's best yoga instructor and I might love their personality, but if they practice Death by Sun Salutation, they will not be my cup of tea. I didn't know there had been criticism about the younger Essentrics instructors or comparisons to the thin, white yogi persona. I don't think of Essentrics in the "six pack/washboard abs/perfect boobs and/or butt" way and thought perhaps Essentrics was trying to expand their appeal to a variety of ages - to include younger people and athletes. In my book, less pain and more flexibility is a good fit at any age.

Pat - I would love to turn the clock back and take some of Karen Holden's vintage aerobics/yoga/tai chi/qi gong classes. I think it's funny doing the live Holden classes when Lee stops to do a correction because you know he spotted some bad form from one of his "Zoomies". I think there's something to be said for doing regular/daily qi gong, just as I think a regular dose of Essentrics is probably healthy. I'm still searching for the right formula for this stiff old lady body. Good luck getting your lap top set up.

Paine - I didn't know that about David Carradine. I'll have to add that Kassandra video to the list. You had a productive start to your day.

Beth - Speaking of yoga stereotypes, DH comes in last evening as I'm doing Matt's video. I'm not sure what he scratched his head about more - the fact that has no clue what yin is or that Matt definitely didn't fit the thin, tall, white, female yogi persona, LOL!!! I had to explain to him how challenging yin can be (and how it took all my reserve not to jump up and run out of my first yin classes) and that my first yin instructor was absolutely not your typical yogi (male, no woo woo and would use terminology such as a$$ when telling you to spread your butt cheeks in order to sit on your "bones"). I loved him! Truly, very few of my yoga teaches have fit the the stereotype, now that I think about it.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 01:37 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, certainly the challenge in dealing with grief is the unexpected waves - you think you have a handle on it and then it flares up again. Hope today brings more peace.

cyana, I'm sure my DH might have a similar reaction (on the other hand, I've berated him about diversity, especially within yoga ). I might react to the idea of stereotypes in yoga because I don't want to be seen that way myself (although I'm neither young nor particularly thin, haha). I haven't done the vibration practice from Matt yet; that one sounds good.

Pam, what cyana said. I love VF because we don't have to agree (at least on this checkin, where everyone is civil, thank goodness!). On the other hand, cyana and I seem to have very similar views of both Adriene and Pahla.

Pat, speaking of civil, I went back and searched for that thread that got Mr Roll Eyes banished. I do kind of recall it at the time, but !!! I agree with you that there are a number of instructors who are fine but who are not right for me (Cathe is one example). Hope your new laptop unboxing goes smoothly; I always get nervous trying out new technology for the first time.

Paine, that sounds like a nice yoga practice for when you don't want to pull out props.

For others looking for a prop-less yoga practice AND missing Rodney's hair, this is for you!
https://www.gaia.com/share/ckm7vwslb...Js0VwxxBlEa_fo

Follow me @YogiBethC