Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-17, 09:46 AM  
Genevieve M

bodybars

Hi,

There was a thread recently that asked about this tool. I love my bodybars. There are certain exercises that are specific to these tools, rather than having them be a replacement for a dumbbell.

It has been frustrating that they stopped making workouts using these tools. I wrote to the Bodybar site, asking them about this. I told them that the home workout market is exploding, and that they are missing a great opportunity to jump on board.

They responded by saying that they have been making videos for their newer tools, BodyBar flex, etc, and that MAYBE they will make more workouts for these.

I have enough exercise 'toys'. Their new tools are expensive. Unless they can show more broad-based appliction these new tools, I'm not going to run out and spend my money on them.

A more effective way to get the word out is to reach out to established names in the business(Cathe, Tony Horton, etc.) and have these instructors use these tools in their workouts.

One of my all-time favorite Cathe's, MIS, used the bodybar for inner and outer thigh workouts. These exercises were very effective.

What a bunch of dopes!
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 09:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi,

There was a thread recently that asked about this tool. I love my bodybars. There are certain exercises that are specific to these tools, rather than having them be a replacement for a dumbbell.

It has been frustrating that they stopped making workouts using these tools. I wrote to the Bodybar site, asking them about this. I told them that the home workout market is exploding, and that they are missing a great opportunity to jump on board.

They responded by saying that they have been making videos for their newer tools, BodyBar flex, etc, and that MAYBE they will make more workouts for these.

I have enough exercise 'toys'. Their new tools are expensive. Unless they can show more broad-based appliction these new tools, I'm not going to run out and spend my money on them.

A more effective way to get the word out is to reach out to established names in the business(Cathe, Tony Horton, etc.) and have these instructors use these tools in their workouts.

One of my all-time favorite Cathe's, MIS, used the bodybar for inner and outer thigh workouts. These exercises were very effective.

What a bunch of dopes!
Karen Voight had a workout - Strong and Smooth Moves - which is available on the DVD Strong & Streamlined - that used a body bar. Probably my favorite of all of her workouts.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 12:01 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I believe that Margaret Richards has one as well. I have actually been thinking about getting that one. I have a 12, and 15 lb body bars, and a 9lb Firm "Sculpting Stick." I like using them.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 12:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Kimberly Spreen has a few. Silk Manning's Aero Pump/Kick uses the bodybar in the second half of the workout.

youtube is a good source:

GymRa has a few:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Gymra1/...?query=bodybar

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 01:04 PM  
millie

Michele Carmichael has a few that uses the body bar -- Met Fuel and Flex Fuel -- I think
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 04:36 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
I believe that Margaret Richards has one as well. I have actually been thinking about getting that one. I have a 12, and 15 lb body bars, and a 9lb Firm "Sculpting Stick." I like using them.
Sherry
Margaret's is "Raising the Bar," and she uses it here and and there in her older videos. I keep wanting to get one but I haven't seen any at Walmart.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 08:11 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Margaret's is "Raising the Bar," and she uses it here and and there in her older videos. I keep wanting to get one but I haven't seen any at Walmart.
I've only ever seen body bars at stores that specialize in sporting goods like Academy. (And I didn't like the ones they sell, something about the coating turned me off)
Old 04-17-17, 07:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks Anna - was it this brand of body bar that you did not care for? I might snap one up on Marketplace.

And how about weight - I'm not sure which weight to get. I know Margaret uses a 12 pounder.

Or - is this the original bar?
Old 04-17-17, 08:56 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Thanks Anna - was it this brand of body bar that you did not care for? I might snap one up on Marketplace.
There is an actual 'Body Bar' brand, here's one that looks a lot like the one MR uses in some of the Raise the Bar workout. I've never seen those in stores. Maybe it's a regional thing and the sporting goods stores in my area just aren't good? (I've never been impressed)

The ones I've seen in Academy stores just didn't seem like something I'd want. They seemed much bulkier, covered in a thick layer of foam or something. Can't remember much beyond that, it's been a while.

I was planning a trip to the new Academy in my area to see about weight benches, I'll take a look again and try to find a brand.
Old 04-17-17, 09:05 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

That's it! I may at some point order directly from Body Bar if I can't find one on Craig's List, etc.

Tags
body bar