Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-17, 03:34 PM  
rhbrand

Popular workouts you don't like

So, I do not like yoga. There I said it. I actually kind of hate it. I've tried it several times, several kinds and it bores the crap out of me. I can't wait for it to be over, I find that I get more irritated the longer the yoga workout is, and it does not leave me feeling destressed.

I can not be alone in disliking what seems to be the most popular workout styles out there.
Old 04-08-17, 03:36 PM  
bubbles76

I pretty much can't tolerate Tony Horton. Every time I try a system with him in it, I just cringe once I see his face.

Oh, and workouts without direction, like Zumba or TA workouts. And no, they aren't better live. I need directions. Zumba is not as bad on dvd, because if I like the music then I can try to memorize the moves. But for the most part, I like my workouts with direction.

One caveat -- Christi Taylor's Cinnamon. She can do no wrong as far as workouts go
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 03:42 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I pretty much can't tolerate Tony Horton. Every time I try a system with him in it, I just cringe once I see his face.
OMG, my exact thought when I saw this thread. But that's an instructor, not a type of workout so I wasn't gonna go there (but I did ).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 03:47 PM  
killoffsonny

I cringe at any workout that requires shoes. Other than walking.
Old 04-08-17, 03:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

FeFit, too much frantic chatter.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 04:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

TA, Jane Fonda and miranda.

i like those styles, just not with those instructors. i like sahra for example.

i didn't think i'd like Tony Horton - i avoided him because his first P90 just was not very good. all the bad reviews on VF. that changed when a fellow VFer persuaded me with P90x.

fortunately, there's so many options out there in case something might suit you better.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 04:07 PM  
cherimac

CS/Essentrics, Leslie (heck, all walking workouts bore me), and the Pre-Good Times Firms. Definitely in the minority!
Old 04-08-17, 04:17 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
So, I do not like yoga. There I said it. I actually kind of hate it. I've tried it several times, several kinds and it bores the crap out of me. I can't wait for it to be over, I find that I get more irritated the longer the yoga workout is, and it does not leave me feeling destressed.

I can not be alone in disliking what seems to be the most popular workout styles out there.
You're not alone. I can't get into yoga at all.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 04:20 PM  
BunnyHop

Yoga's static poses really don't interest me, and I think my body prefers to move. (Which is why I get on so well with CS, I suppose. Experimented with Tai Chi for a bit, but am currently in a good CS/Essentrics groove. )

Don't like Firm workouts in general, old or new, but I do keep trying to find one that might suit me. Something about them seems too contrived, and people seem to be posing for effect even as they're working out. Not my cup of tea.

Not a fan of anything else that seems to have been created as a product to market. Beachbody, Zumba, Tony Horton, etc. Can't get beyond the annoyance I feel at the hucksterism/cheesy production values.

It could be a holdover from my earliest days working out at home, when some Jane Fonda workout had really lame dialogue in the midst of the exercise. Listening to that over and over got old really quickly, and I've come to realize I much prefer a more straightforward presentation style that stands up to repeat viewing.
Old 04-08-17, 04:30 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I'm finding that yoga is an acquired taste, at least it was for me. I used to be bored by it, but now I really enjoy it and my body loves it. I like power/athletic type of yoga - Travis Eliot style.

I used to not like pilates. I found it boring and never challenging enough. I felt like I was wasting my precious workout time. Then last year I tried Pilates by Lisa, and I'll never again say that pilates is not challenging! If I'm consistent with Lisa, my abs flatten, hips trim and butt lifts in no time.

I tried several Beachbody systems, and other than Chalene's TJ and TF, I didn't like any of them. Brazil Butt Lift was a real fiasco. I bought it used at HPB and fortunately didn't pay much for it because I found it irritating and instructor creepy.