Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-14, 11:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Arrow Vintage Dustbunny Sporadic Check-In

In Susan's "Long lost but not forgotten" thread, some of us have been re-visiting oldie but goodie workouts. Some of these videos are OOP and probably will never be on DVD. You can find reviews of these oldies in the VF Reviews section:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsdb/

Maybe we can have a sporadic check-in to revisit workouts from the past? I don't know what is the oldest workout I own. I'd have to go check.

If you've done a vintage (and I know that is a relative term) video, please post your thoughts. (In my case, I'm a vintage VFer doing vintage workouts!)

So far, I've done:

Gin Miller's Reebok: Best of Step TV (1994). This is has Gin being as goofy as ever. I did find it hard to follow when she let the background extras do the cueing. This has the guy cueing the "Gin Miller Craaaaazy Arms" move.

Jay Blahnik's Precision Cycling (2001). This is a really good workout and it's too bad it isn't on DVD. I do it on my elliptical. This has several instructors as background exercisers: Linda McHugh, Aileen Sheron, Helen Vanderburg.

Weight Watchers Low Impact Aerobics (1995) with Aileen Sheron (and Chalene Johnson!) This has the "Spooky Fingers" move.

POSTURE CHECK!

Last edited by Vintage VFer; 08-07-14 at 11:03 AM. Reason: assorted edits for clarity
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 01:31 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I might join. I did Gilad's Step & Tone the other day, as well as Kathy Smith's early Pilates workouts.
Old 03-23-14, 01:47 PM  
SueT

I just did Kathy Smith's Fat Burning Workout from 1989. I never had that workout back then, but someone mentioned it a couple of years ago here on VF and I got the compilation DVD with that workout on it.

I have to admit it was a lot of fun and I'm actually sore today!

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 03:20 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

This is totally a check-in I could join. I'm approaching vintage myself - turning 53 - and I haven't given up my VCR though I've gotten rid of plenty of VHS workouts through the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Weight Watchers Low Impact Aerobics (1995) with Aileen Sheron (and Chalene Johnson!) This has the "Scary Fingers" move.
Haha, so sorry to correct you Alta but technically that move was known as Spooky Fingers, lol.

My mystery workout: I had a workout purchased many years ago from Collage Video and I'd love to at least remember the title. It was taught by a tall shoulder-length curly-haired brunette and her crew, all outdoors at various Detroit landmark locations... (I *think* it was Detroit; could've well been a different city, like Cincinnati.) She was kind of an American Gilad since her workout was low impact cardio, strength (probably unweighted) and stretch, in individual sections, and all taped in different well-known city locales (instead of the Hawaiian Islands). The video's motto was something like "Fitness for the heart in the heart of the city!" Catchy, yes? I remember really enjoying that video but it kinda lost its savor when I got into The Firm classics. It was probably pretty easy too but it was an hour long and I always felt like I got some of everything in.

As I mentioned, I've tossed many old videos but there are still many golden oldies gracing my shelves and I've been revisiting them a lot of late. Ah, the days before burpees and mountain climbers.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 03:25 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
I just did Kathy Smith's Fat Burning Workout from 1989. I never had that workout back then, but someone mentioned it a couple of years ago here on VF and I got the compilation DVD with that workout on it.

I have to admit it was a lot of fun and I'm actually sore today!
I still like that workout even though that outfit Kathy wears looks like it was designed by one of my 3yo students.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 09:18 PM  
Kitten

Since I'm vintage and do these sporadically, I'm in!
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 10:25 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Posted in the "secret workout" thread, but today I did Jump To It, 40 sweaty minutes of rebounding, big hair, leg warmers and whoop whoop. Don't know why I don't hate it, but I don't.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 12:05 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Posted in the "secret workout" thread, but today I did Jump To It, 40 sweaty minutes of rebounding, big hair, leg warmers and whoop whoop. Don't know why I don't hate it, but I don't.
I have Jump to It, but my rebounder is out in the garage.

Yesterday, I did Greg Smithey's Original Buns Of Steel (1987). This was a new oldie for me as I bought it at the Collage sale.

Here is a clip at Mary's: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/The...hey-p/2105.htm

He is funny/cheesy. His cueing and form-pointers could be a lot better.

Still it was fun and the leg part is hard and fast. He did crack me up a few times.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 05:26 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I did Cathe's BodyMax on VHS. I kept it all low impact. My body shows wear and tear just the cover of my tape.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 07:14 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I like this idea. Alta! LOL re being a vintage VFer doing vintage workouts! I am part of that club, too . I did Kathy Smith's Ultimate Stomach and Thighs this week; that one is still one of my favorites, and many of the exercises that Kathy did then are being showcased in newer workouts by other instructors. I also did Karen Voight's Strong and Streamlined this week; every time I do one of Karen's workouts, I am reminded of what an excellent instructor she is, and how her workouts are effective and safe.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dustbunny, oldies but goodies, vintage, vintage vfers, vintage workouts