Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-12, 07:08 AM  
oltlfan

Post here if you don't want to do exercise DVDs

I am going through a phase where I can't do exercise videos. It's not because of injuries. It's because of boredom. I literally can't be in the house doing a video. I'll turn it on and try, but within 3, or 5, or 10 minutes, I'll turn it off and go outside and walk. I prefer walking right now. I'm even thinking about joining a gym and doing group classes, something I would have never considered before. But right now, it's so boring and tedious doing videos inside the house. This has been going on for about 3 months, and I can't see it stopping soon. I just tried to do a video today, but I cut it off and walked outside.

Anyone going through a phase like that right now?
oltlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 07:26 AM  
darbyndoug

Maybe it's the nice weather now... and you just want to be outside. If you don't want to take a break from your video workouts, maybe try doing them a different time of day, if your schedule allows it? Or trade for something new?

FYI, I have tried cardio classes at a gym... and not for me. But group yoga classes definitely are!
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 09:13 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltlfan View Post
I am going through a phase where I can't do exercise videos. It's not because of injuries. It's because of boredom. I literally can't be in the house doing a video. I'll turn it on and try, but within 3, or 5, or 10 minutes, I'll turn it off and go outside and walk. I prefer walking right now. I'm even thinking about joining a gym and doing group classes, something I would have never considered before. But right now, it's so boring and tedious doing videos inside the house. This has been going on for about 3 months, and I can't see it stopping soon. I just tried to do a video today, but I cut it off and walked outside.

Anyone going through a phase like that right now?
I usually go through this from March/April until the end of October every year. This year is a little different where I am enjoying my Leslie DVDs but there are reasons behind this however. I have no doubt that next year I will be back to my outdoors-only exercise routine.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 09:26 AM  
DachsieDogMom

I feel like this sometimes. I will usually put together a routine from Women's Health Big book of exercises when I feel like that.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 09:52 AM  
anne

I feel like that sometimes, too. About a year and a half ago, after years of just doing videos, I joined the Y and am glad I did because that gives me more options. Now I do both exercise videos and group classes and the variety is great (along with walking outside or on the treadmill at the Y). Aqua aerobics is another thing offered--was going to try that today but it was rainy. You may want to try a gym--with most Ys you don't need to sign up for a year or sign a contract so if you decide it's not for you you can cancel at any time.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 09:59 AM  
Sissy B

I have had trouble working out with DVDs since I started using my Wii to workout. I love the interactiveness of the Wii. I get bored with my DVDs now - I struggle to get through a 10-15 minute segment.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 10:27 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Sissy, same here.

But I am getting tired of the Wii.

I am actually thinking about getting a Kinnect (I think is the name), but I would have to get the whole system so I don't know. But I need more connectivity with my actions and what is shown on the screen and a wider range to choose from. I would never get rid of WIO so I will keep the Wii.

Let's just say when I casually mentioned this to DH, he didn't take it too well. But the good news is I have a slush fund for such subversive activity and he never goes in my work out room and never plays games so he won't know for a long time. If he does "find out," I will just say it has been there forever.

Sorry, back to the OP's question. I go through this periodically. I spice it up with outdoor walks, freebies on the 'net, whatever exercise is On Demand at the time and vicariously living through VFers by walking on the TM while reading others' experiences.

Then I get to missing Gin or Leslie and even Debbie S. so I will pop a little something in. Or I will find an obscure, seemingly ludicrous VHS at the thrift store, enjoy doing it and that will spur me do some more new-to-me workout from 1987. For me the goal is to move, not ooze into my couch. The vehicle does not matter so much.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 10:46 AM  
PeakFitness

I get like that in the spring, too, I'd rather be outside.
Old 05-28-12, 10:47 AM  
Kyra

For me, this phase has lasted for years now. I don't think it occurred to me that DVDs were boring but now that I think about it, you make a good point. Mostly I have found out I work better and harder without them; left with my own weight, rep range, pace, and program selection I lift more purposefully, with a goal in mind. Similarly, I don't "do cardio," I run with other (or not!) goals in mind.

It's not the approach for everyone. For a long time I got the appeal of DVDs, but no more. I've even ventured away from them for yoga. They sneak in every now and then, and sometimes I hear of a system I'd like to try, but I've gotten away from them and I don't hear them calling me back. In fact I recently cleared out my collection and what's left takes up about six inches of shelf space - on a back room shelf.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 10:56 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I posted this is another thread just two days ago:

"Actually, I confess that I more and more prefer to exercise to my own music for more and more different types of exercise, once I learn everything I can from dvds and reading. It began with yoga and lifting and now extends to almost everything. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in almost every exercise dvd that comes out -- on the contrary, I'm always interested in the newest & latest."