Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews

Old 12-26-17, 05:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

odd ebay transaction

question: should i accept seller's offer to just keep the defective item, even though she refunded my money?

bought a kipling bag described as "new w/o tags" and "black". when received, there was *mold and a faint water stain in the inside of the pocket and a receipt from bed bath and beyond, rendering the item far from new. the mold was the spotted "yellow" type of mold, about an inch in diameter.

the exterior was also blue, not black. i immediately took photos and contacted the seller. the seller did not respond within the time period for a return request which i think is 7 days. i contacted ebay and ebay immediately gave me a refund, including shipping, and a return label. i returned it and tracked the package for a few days, then forgot about it since i received my refund.

the seller emailed me back and apologized, said she was out of town and said she was selling it for a friend and was fine with ebay's decision to refund my money. this was in Oct/Nov. i also gave her a positive rating mentioning in the comments that the item was not as described in the listing, and that i got a refund.

the other day, it came back undeliverable. i immediately emailed the seller, gave her the invalid address and requested another mailing label with a valid address. i really wanted this to go back to her so that she could clean it up and re-sell as used. she replied in 3 separate messages apologizing, then saying that was her old address, then saying just keep the handbag. until then, i hadn't heard back from her about the whereabouts of the returned package.

i read these posts from ebay sellers who get burned from buyers who claim something is defective, get a refund, return it back and the item is damaged. i used to sell on ebay too, so i totally understand the risk that sellers take. the seller ends up losing money when they sell to dishonest buyers.

*it could probably be washed and made new again. kipling uses really good materials. i also felt bad for the "monkey" being shipped all over the US, chained to a handbag!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 06:12 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

If it were me, I’d probably just drop it - and save all the emails. She probably got caught trying to pass off a dirty, used bag as new - for “a friend.” You did what you should - and all you could. You were much more generous in your Feedback than I would have been.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 08:06 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
If it were me, I’d probably just drop it - and save all the emails. She probably got caught trying to pass off a dirty, used bag as new - for “a friend.” You did what you should - and all you could. You were much more generous in your Feedback than I would have been.
This.

Lengthy pauses between messages that don't really clarify much are a pretty good warning sign that there may be a back story you'll never hear, and probably don't want to.

You've acted with integrity throughout. Maybe donate it elsewhere if it's dry enough that the mold won't be a hazard to other merchandise?
Old 12-28-17, 10:52 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I agree with Joni. You were very nice about it. I would have left negative feedback. There are too many fishy aspects to this seller’s behavior, from the used, moldy, stained bag in the wrong color, to the “friend” excuse, to the “wrong address” excuse, to the “out of town” excuse. I would probably throw the bag in the garbage, or donate it, if it no longer had mold or a stain.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 01:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks everyone for your comments. I haven't contacted her again - just going to leave it be.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote