Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-17, 11:23 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Post "Why the Fitness Industry is Out of Shape"

I was reading the Bobby Whisnand article that Sara1000 linked to about shoulder pain and saw another great article:

http://bobbywhisnand.com/why-the-fit...-out-of-shape/

I agree 100% with all of his points. I've seen the fitness industry change so much in the last 20 years. Newer workouts skip proper warm-ups and cool-downs, there are fewer modifying exercisers, form pointers have gone out the window and cueing is even worse (if that is possible). The worst part is so many instructors ignoring any injuries or limitations an exerciser may have. You just get the disclaimer in the beginning to not do the workout.

I have a few videos that address working with injuries. Thankfully, like most VFers, I know how to modify to suit my issues. Not everyone has that advantage.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-17, 02:55 PM  
millie

Thanks for posting this. I like his number 1: Mis-representation. No one ever gives what the average "achievements" are.
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-17, 05:46 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
... Thankfully, like most VFers, I know how to modify to suit my issues. Not everyone has that advantage.
Thank goodness for that! If I didn't know how to safely modify, I'd never find anything to use.
Old 10-22-17, 07:43 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Thank goodness for that! If I didn't know how to safely modify, I'd never find anything to use.
Agreed... Early on, I didn't give myself the freedom to deviate from what was demonstrated.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 07:08 AM  
MathTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Agreed... Early on, I didn't give myself the freedom to deviate from what was demonstrated.
I'm glad I am not the only one.
Old 10-23-17, 07:32 AM  
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathTeacher View Post
I'm glad I am not the only one.
Oh Yes - me too. Would not do anything but what the instructor did.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 09:35 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Good article. I liked that he addressed chronic pain, body destroying workouts, and instructor qualifications.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 10:16 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Totally, totally agree. I do think it's very important to address people's expectations. So many people have WILDLY unrealistic expectations about what exercise--ANY exercise will do for them. I remember many, many years ago, I saw a picture of a fitness model in a magazine who had a really beautiful body. I cut out the picture and put it on the cover of my workout journal for 'inspiration.' At the time, I had absolutely no idea how much effort and specific interventions were required to get a body like that. I was so disappointed that, despite regular, vigorous exercise and a normal healthy diet, I was not achieving that look. In reality, I looked good and had very good results, but unrealistic expectations kept me from appreciating the fruit of my efforts!

I'm really grateful whenever a fitness professional gives a very candid account of their whole lifestyle and how it contributes to their results--ALL their results (not just the visible.) This is how I eat on a typical day. This is how often I have a treat, this is what I do for exercise (which may or may not be what they are promoting/leading.) This is how much activity I get apart from my workouts. This is how much I sleep, this is what my parents and grandparents are like, etc. There are so many factors to how someone responds to exercise. It can really help people--especially young people--understand how to set their own expectations.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 11:57 AM  
Calistro

excellent article!

Paragraphs 4-5 especially resonate with me as I remember when I used to work out hard core, high intensity, high impact and thought I had to keep up with every instructor even though my poor knees were failing me. I felt like I had to go hard or go home and like someone else said I did not give myself permission to deviate or modify as I felt it was cheating.

It was when I started to notice that programmes were becoming more and more high impact I then had to accept I had limitations, which was a struggle, but I had too many knee injuries.

Meanwhile something thing that really annoyed me at that time when I had to accept that my workouts had to change is when Shaun T launched the Insanity commercial, and the some of the comments he made when he said,
"Insanity was not for everybody, it was not for people who are lazy, or people who find excuses"

He then went on to say it was for people who were ready to take their body to peak physical condition.

He mentioned 3 groups of people, the lazy, the excuse maker, and those who wanted peak fitness.

Now I love Shaun T, especially with Hip Hop Abs, but I took offence to those comments. I thought hang on a minute! I am not lazy, I have bad knees!

What about the group with health issues? Why did he not say this programme may not be suitable for people who have health issues? do we not also work out as well or have we become a non entity?

Logically I know his comment is not for me personally, and I should not take it to mean so, but he was addressing a limited group.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 12:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I had heard that Beachbody's 21 Day Fix was geared to beginners. I finally got to see some of the workouts and about fell over. The first move is a surrender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPC416qdIZo

Sure, Kat is there to modify, but that is an advanced move that one works up to, not starts out with.

What a horrible decision! What if a newbie is very overweight or has bad knees. WTH?????

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness industry