Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-17, 04:41 PM  
gladgirl

Smile Washington DC

I am very excited about finally visiting this city!

My DD invited me to tag along for the trip. She will be in conference meetings all day. I want to visit as many museums as I can. But, I will be alone and was wondering, as I am in an unfamiliar city, what's the best and safest way to get around? Uber, taxis, or your fabulous public transportation? Our hotel is further from the city interior. What are some great places to have dinner? OMG I can't wait! I am getting maps out and trying to figure this out. TIA
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 04:44 PM  
bubbles76

We walked and took the trolley. I believe we were able to buy an all day pass on the trolley that enabled us to hop on and hop off whenever we wanted. I'm not sure about how you would get into the actual city though. We drove into the DC from MD and parked the car all day in a parking garage. I can honestly say that everywhere I ate in DC, to include the food trucks, were good They have fantastic brick oven pizzas.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 05:03 PM  
gladgirl

Thanks, Bubbles76
I just saw that the hotel is actually not too far from Old Town Alexandria. The Torpedo Factory and King St. sound like fun for a day.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 05:43 PM  
firmaniac

So jealous! Have a blast - I would basically go to the Smithsonian compound and stay there until someone came and fetched me hee hee Enjoy!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 05:43 PM  
m42

When I went I stayed in the city and took the Metro. The train was quick and easy to use. I can't advise you on the bus or taxis as I found the train perfect for my needs. I spent most of my time at the National Mall exploring the museums. I did venture out to go to the Newseum.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 05:55 PM  
millie

Given where you are -- the metro will get you everywhere you need to go. (I live in DMV and am a regular metro user) I would save taxis or uber for late nights when the metro is no longer running.
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 06:51 AM  
wlorrie

OOO DC!!!! Can I come, too?
You're going to love DC! Take the metro. It is fast, inexpensive, and goes almost everywhere except Georgetown. You could spend a few days with all the stuff to see in the National Mall area, and you can walk to all the DC sites. It can get hot so, bring water, a sun hat, and sunscreen. You can take UBER from the mall area if you want to see Georgetown.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 07:09 AM  
deineira

Hello,
You will have a lovely time here! I've lived in this area almost 30 years. I agree that the Metro is fine. It's a wee bit expensive as public transport goes (as a native NYer, that's my opinion), but it's safe and will get you around fairly easily. It's actually less sketchy than the subway in NY by far...there are just not as many sketchy people on it in general. Georgetown is a bit of a trek from the closest stop in DC, which is Foggy Bottom, but it's walkable. If you do some shopping then once you get there, you would probably take a cab back to your home base. It's actually a closer walk to Georgetown from the Rosslyn metro station in Arlington, and then you can walk to DC over the bridge, which is kind of neat. That puts you at the busy end of G-town, and closer than the Foggy Bottom stop. If you want to share a bit about what things you like to eat and do, I'd be happy to give you some recommendations.

If you're staying in old town Alexandria, you'll enjoy walking and shopping there a bit too.

Have a great time!
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 07:09 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I lived in Washington and Alexandria for many years. Definitely use the metro! It's safe and clean, but I'd suggest avoiding it at rush hour if you can! Alexandria is a great little city, lots to see and do in addition to DC. If you have time, you might want to visit Mount Vernon, too.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 07:48 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Hello,
You will have a lovely time here! I've lived in this area almost 30 years. I agree that the Metro is fine. It's a wee bit expensive as public transport goes (as a native NYer, that's my opinion), but it's safe and will get you around fairly easily. It's actually less sketchy than the subway in NY by far...there are just not as many sketchy people on it in general. Georgetown is a bit of a trek from the closest stop in DC, which is Foggy Bottom, but it's walkable. If you do some shopping then once you get there, you would probably take a cab back to your home base. It's actually a closer walk to Georgetown from the Rosslyn metro station in Arlington, and then you can walk to DC over the bridge, which is kind of neat. That puts you at the busy end of G-town, and closer than the Foggy Bottom stop. If you want to share a bit about what things you like to eat and do, I'd be happy to give you some recommendations.

If you're staying in old town Alexandria, you'll enjoy walking and shopping there a bit too.

Have a great time!
I lived in DC for decades myself. I would recommend taking the Circulator bus to Georgetown rather than trekking from a Metro station in summer heat. I used the Circulator when I would go to Georgetown.

I used public transit exclusively when I lived in DC. It's great, but I also echo the advice to try to avoid the Metro during rush hour. Breakdowns and work on the tracks are not unknown, so use the DC Metro app to check for delays.

There is a very neat little area that is quite literally almost a stone's throw from the Takoma station (Red Line)--this was my home station; I lived walking distance from it. There are many really good restaurants and interesting shops in this area. Takoma station is 5 stops from the Union Station stop on the Red Line. My favorite places in Takoma were Busboys and Poets (terrific bookstore and cafe), Republic (excellent food and cocktails), and Mark's Kitchen (Korean-run diner--I still dream about the ginger pancakes!) Takoma is not "touristy". That can be quite nice.

Have a great time. DC is a wonderful city to visit and I'm glad I was able to live there for such a long time.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote