Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-13, 10:46 AM  
Mariana

My glutes fixed my plantar fasciitis

Hi VFers,
I've been an occasional lurker here for several months. Someone a while back posted a link to Bret Contreras' blog http://bretcontreras.com
So that's when I started really focusing on glute exercises. It didn't take long before I noticed my PF was suddenly improved! No one ever told me there was a connection between glute activation and PF.
Not sure whether this has ever been discussed here before, but I hope I can help someone with PF because it sucks. I had it for about a year and a half, I'm so glad I can go for walks again now.

Mariana
Mariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 11:11 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Mariana - I so believe that it is all connected! I had what I thought were tight hamstrings and they improved significantly when I focused on stretching my psoas and hip flexors.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 11:25 AM  
bubbles76

Which one of Bret's programs did you focus on specifically?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 12:41 PM  
Mariana

I didn't follow a particular program, although I did read Strong Curves since they have it at the library. I just added more glute-focused exercises such as hip thrusts, banded clams and band walking.
Right now that's actually the only strength training I do, I've been having hormonal issues.

Mariana
Mariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 12:57 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Thanks for bringing this up. I have minor neck/back issues and it all started with a pull in my inner glutes. The soreness/stiffness moves around, so it is definitely all related.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 03:06 PM  
hypnomoon

The shin bone connected to the knee bone; the knee bone connected to the thigh bone; etc. etc.

Great info to share with us. Thanks!
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 05:27 PM  
PrairieGem

Another vote for "it's all related!" I got PF from having fibroid surgery in 2010! Too many hours with my feet elevated strangely while I was unconscious (and couldn't shift position or tell anyone if it was uncomfortable, etc). Fortunately, it didn't last very long and I've never had a recurrence (cross fingers), but it definitely was a surprising side effect.
Old 12-08-13, 06:34 PM  
msladybug

Marianna,

That's Awesome! I'm so glad you are better.

I've been suffering from PF and tendonosis now for 2 years. I'd been in physical therapy. The same stuff you mentioned is what PT had me doing, bridges, banded clam shells, and variations, and banded 'walking'. Plus some hands on treatments to my foot to loosen up the bones and tendons.

Was making progress in PT, then had a setback from bad orthotics. Even though I was still eligible for more PT visits, insurance told them to kick me loose because I wasn't making progress fast enough. Like that makes sense.

I have Bret's book and his workout seems solid.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 07:56 PM  
BunnyHop

This does ring true for me, I'll focus more on this and see if I get more relief.

(I've noticed I get great help from kettlebell work, wasn't sure why.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13, 07:57 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Wow, that's so interesting! I agree that PF is just awful. I'm not bothered by it now, but at one point, I was in so much pain I could hardly walk.

So glad you found a good solution! I also found barre hugely helpful for PF, once the initial flare up subsided. I attributed it to the barefoot work strengthening my feet, but maybe the seatwork helped, too??
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, clam, floorwork, glute activation, hip pain, plantar fasciitis, psoas