Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-22, 09:54 AM  
Tugger31

Help: Yoga Mat Thickness

I have a 1/4 inch Gaiam yoga mat. I have pretty aggravating plantar fasciitis and hadn't done yoga in awhile. I did yoga this morning and the thickness of this mat really bothered my heel alot in warrior poses etc that were held longer. I workout in my basement on berber carpet that is over a cement floor with little padding.

I've read that thicker mats aren't necessarily good for moving from pose to pose. I also need to work on my balance so also want something is cushy but won't make me feel like I'm sinking or something that won't slip on my carpet.

I'm not planning on traveling with it, just rolling it up when I'm not using it. I've read some of the threads here but still not sure what to get. I don't want to spend a fortune but willing to invest in something if it's the right one for my body and will last.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 10:16 AM  
Vantreesta

https://www.target.com/p/premium-fit...54#lnk=sametab

This isn't the exact mat I have but it looks pretty similar. It isn't a sticky mat but after the first few uses I haven't had much problem with slipping. I haven't tried it but you may be able to put your yoga mat on top of it if you prefer that feel (I would definitely test that before engaging in a vigorous practice though). I have several yoga mats but the last few years have tended to use my two thicker mats more often just bc of the fact that the dog hair doesn't stick to them and any side lying work I need more cushion for my hips.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 09:44 PM  
bfit

I have a mat that is not a yoga mat - just a general exercise mat. It's called a 360 Mat and comes in various sizes. I got it when I was having foot problems on a very hard floor, and it worked great. I do not slip on it at all. I would not call it "cushy", but it does insulate you from the floor well.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 09:27 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Tugger, I think one issue is that some of the thicker mats can be cushy, causing you to sink into them, where as the more pricier thick mats (e.g., Manduka) are actually quite dense and more supportive.

I don't like a lot of cushion to my yoga mat; for me, I think it interferes with balance. I have a number of mats, but my main one is Manduka eko Lite, which is now 4mm (used to be just 3mm). If you are looking for something cheaper, I have a Gaiam travel mat (it folds) that is quite thin but pretty non slip.

Yoga mats are very personal - different people like different things! Other brands I've heard people compliment include Jade and B Mat. If you invest in something pricier, definitely check out their return policy.

As a side note, I also have a large exercise mat that I have down all the time (similar to 360, different brand). It is dense and in addition to using it for other workouts, I sometimes use it alone for yoga, but if I'm going to do a longer yoga session, especially with my hands on the mat, I prefer to lay my actual yoga mat on top of the exercise mat.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 04:16 PM  
laurajhawk

I agree with Toaster - what you want is something thick but dense. I also agree that Manduka is the gold standard for that property. I have Manduka Lite and Manduka Pro mats and love them both ... Pro is the best (but too heavy to haul around with me).

Manduka mats are almost never cheap, but on Amazon you can find older colors for a noticeable discount over what you find on the Manduka site.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 04:27 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love my Manduka pro and have had it for years. It is dense foam and really does support my feet.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 04:57 PM  
Tugger31

I've looked at the Manduka mats and the "extra thick" ones are 6mm which is exactly the thickness I already have and it's not enough cushion for my heel during poses that are held longer ie warriors. Maybe it's not dense enough? I actually 2 6mm Gaiam mats and I've tried just stacking them both on top of each other but they seem to wrinkle on my carpet. My carpet is by no means plush, it's very worn. The mats don't seem to slip too much on my carpet but do just need to be readjusted a bit. I've seen a few mats that are textured on the bottom are "suede" on the top. I feel like my hands would slip on these. I'm not doing any hot yoga though so not sure.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 05:09 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I think it's a thicker denser foam. I have had several other yoga mats including Gaiam and that is more rubbery, to me.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heel pain, mat, mat for concrete floors, mats, plantar fasciitis, workout mat, yoga mat, yoga mats