Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-21-21, 12:11 PM  
ChelePA

If you want intense, try Caroline Girvan's new Drop HIIT Cardio Full Body Workout--45 minutes. It was just released today and it kicked my butt! Definitely the hardest one I have tried so far. The first half of the workout is HIIT...30 seconds on with 15 seconds of rest. She does each exercise twice alternating sides. I should have know it was going to be tough when she started off with one legged burpees! I had to modify a few of the moves. She jumps from her knees into a squat...not happening. I had to rock back some then jump. Also rolling out into a one legged push-up...and the speed she can do that move...wow! I also took your advice and did some of the push-up segments slightly elevated to keep the speed and proper form. This also helped when some of the push-up variations could only be done on the floor. I still had the strength and stamina to finish those. The next section she calls steady state cardio. Definitely somewhat easier for Caroline but still kept my heart rate up nicely. No breaks in between and she varies the time for each move. Let me know if you try it and your thoughts. Happy Sunday!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 02:28 PM  
ChelePA

Manleym...thanks for the foam rolling recommendation. I did a 10 minute Sydney Cummings at the end of my workout. Definitely needed it for my hips today. Kate...you'll have to let us know what you think.
Old 02-21-21, 05:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey All! Hope you're all enjoying your weekend, amid snowstorms, tax work, and other chores......

I ended up being completely lazy yesterday! I can't believe how little I moved. This tax stuff just has me a bit paralyzed. I did some small work on it today, so I feel a bit better. I'm freaked because I have to file on behalf of my mom's estate for the first time in a number of years -- there's been no reason to, but last year we sold a condo so I have to file, but I cannot find the previous tax returns and I don't know the accountant that helped me with them. So I'm really dreading working with my accountant on that pile! Plus I have no idea what price my mom originally paid for the condo, so that's going to be a big fat problem, too. My stomach is in knots over it. Ug! At any rate, it's really made me procrastinate!! On everything!

So no workout yesterday. Today I did a GrowingAnnanas or whatever she is called. Lower body hiit. I really liked it -- no weights, no repeats. She looked like she was crying toward the end. I forgot to look but I wondered if maybe it was an earlier workout of hers since it didn't seem like she should be struggling quite that much. I don't know. Followed by a very woo-woo yoga. First off, she sounded like she had a fake accent. I made myself get past that. It was all about the pelvic floor..... without going into details, I will just tell you that at one point my inner middle school boy came out with a big belly laugh at what she said. I think this one should have been filed under "laughing yoga" instead of yin!

Tomorrow I'm going to remember to do "metabolic Monday" instead of "mellow", but I need suggestions! When I started reading about Chele's recent Caroline I thought that might fit the bill, but it sounds too hard! I guess I could do a Cathe but wondering if anyone has a Caroline/Heather/Growing that would fit the bill and be sort of fun, too.

Speaking of fun..... I'm up for doing that Kat step for Fun Friday this week if that's what we're going with.

Waves all around!
Old 02-21-21, 05:01 PM  
horusosiris

[QUOTE=cataddict;2913043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
[B]

- I love green tea too! I reread Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

Cataddct you said that "Love in the Time of Cholera is my favorite book! I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez! Have you seen the movie? They did a pretty good job of it, IMHO.
"

Cataddict- Wow! That is also one of my all time favorite books! I did not know it was a movie (where have I been?). I see that Amazon Prime has it, so I am going to watch it next weekend. Thanks!

Manelym-
All potential members of the family must pass the Dallas Cowboy fan test. Since children are born into the family, they are automatic Cowboys fans. It is genetic! - LOL!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 06:53 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Hey All! Hope you're all enjoying your weekend, amid snowstorms, tax work, and other chores......

I ended up being completely lazy yesterday! I can't believe how little I moved. This tax stuff just has me a bit paralyzed. I did some small work on it today, so I feel a bit better. I'm freaked because I have to file on behalf of my mom's estate for the first time in a number of years -- there's been no reason to, but last year we sold a condo so I have to file, but I cannot find the previous tax returns and I don't know the accountant that helped me with them. So I'm really dreading working with my accountant on that pile! Plus I have no idea what price my mom originally paid for the condo, so that's going to be a big fat problem, too. My stomach is in knots over it. Ug! At any rate, it's really made me procrastinate!! On everything!

So no workout yesterday. Today I did a GrowingAnnanas or whatever she is called. Lower body hiit. I really liked it -- no weights, no repeats. She looked like she was crying toward the end. I forgot to look but I wondered if maybe it was an earlier workout of hers since it didn't seem like she should be struggling quite that much. I don't know. Followed by a very woo-woo yoga. First off, she sounded like she had a fake accent. I made myself get past that. It was all about the pelvic floor..... without going into details, I will just tell you that at one point my inner middle school boy came out with a big belly laugh at what she said. I think this one should have been filed under "laughing yoga" instead of yin!

Tomorrow I'm going to remember to do "metabolic Monday" instead of "mellow", but I need suggestions! When I started reading about Chele's recent Caroline I thought that might fit the bill, but it sounds too hard! I guess I could do a Cathe but wondering if anyone has a Caroline/Heather/Growing that would fit the bill and be sort of fun, too.

Speaking of fun..... I'm up for doing that Kat step for Fun Friday this week if that's what we're going with.

Waves all around!
The Heather Robertson I did Saturday is a good one. It’s called Total Body Low Impact HIIT with Dumbbells. Released on 1-31-21. I really enjoyed it. My weights ranged from 5-12 pounds. Probably could have lifted up to 15 pounds on a few, but she was new to me. There are three circuits, each one repeated once. It was just under 40 minutes. Definitely not HIIT. Excellent metabolic with the right weights.
Old 02-21-21, 08:19 PM  
ChelePA

So I guess I won’t be tempted with my Valentine’s Day m&ms. My daughter asked if she could open them the other day. Well she and my husband ate the whole bag. Haha. I was thinking only one more week. I guess I’ll enjoy dessert on my birthday
Old 02-21-21, 10:39 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi Watulans!

Some bad news---my knee and leg are worse, probably because I was stubborn and didn't rest. Anyway I was doing Cathe Live 169 today and it almost gave out and I felt this terrible pain. So I think I will now have to take a (painful) step back and let it heal. I can walk okay but stairs are bad. I'm taking it day by day. *sigh* I'm hoping I can join in the Kat Fun Friday workout!

horusosiris, hope you like the movie! It didn't get a lot of publicity when it came out IIRC since I think it probably appealed to a relatively small audience. Awhile back I decided to broaden my horizons by reading a few Spanish authors (translated to English---I'm not THAT good! ) and read several by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Have you read Zafon? I started with Shadow of the Wind. And hey, I have all respect for continuing to support your sports team, win or lose. I feel the same way about my teams, and they've had some lean years. That's funny about the "indoctrination" of new family members as Cowboy fans LOL.

bee, I sympathize with your stressing about the Estate tax matters. I handled the Estates of my father, mother and sister at the same time for awhile as they all passed away within 2 years. I did Estate tax work for close to 20 years at the CPA firm I worked for, and it wasn't easier just because I knew what I was doing technically. That said, I might be able to answer a few of your questions---feel free to PM me if you want. I am curious as to why you would need to know what your mother paid for her home. Did you inherit it from her? It's much more common that assets (including real estate) are revalued as of the date of death rather than the original price paid by the decedent. I would also be careful when choosing an accountant for help, as it's a specialized area of practice that many CPAs aren't familiar with. Anyway, enough of this!! Good luck!

Chele, funny that your daughter and DH ate the m&ms! Guess they could claim they were doing it to "help" you avoid the temptation. And I feel your pain about having to post several short posts due to the 500 error! It's weird how randomly the 500 error hits.

FN1, you definitely need to do Paul's foam roller workout! I'm also going to try Sydney Cummings as recommended by manleym, particularly if my knee continues to act up.

Kim, glad you are enjoying Petra! I had heard of her of course but hadn't done any of her workouts and I like The Last Step.

manleym, I will see how my knee feels tomorrow, but "if" I do Change 1 at all I will make myself follow Marlene (except when she changes places for the high impact cardio). I really am terrible about taking it easy, even when I know I should.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 09:29 AM  
ChelePA

Cataddict...I am so sorry to hear about your knee. I know it's hard to rest but please take care. Sending you healing vibes and hoping you can join us Friday for Kat's step workout.

Talking about Kat...I posted on the general discussion board that she released her first rebounder workout. It's a beginner/intermediate level and clocks in just over 20 minutes. She teaches just like her step workouts. Builds on a routine with awesome music as always. She said she will keep it simple and less intense since she hasn't taught classes in over 20 years. I combined her rebounder routine with Naomi Joy's newest beginner tabata trampoline workout, which was just over 15 minutes. It also was a nice short solid cardio routine. And then for Metabolic Monday, I did the premix from Lite Metabolic Blast...standing portion only. I usually lift 1-2 pounds heavier but today since it was a timesaver decided to use weights that were 2-3 pounds heavier. It's amazing what one pound will do for the intensity. I was quite sweaty at the end.

I will check in more later. The error plagues me.
Old 02-22-21, 10:40 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Bee, I'm SO sorry about your tax stress! You and I, let's gather our stuff and head over to FN2's so she can do all our tax stuff for us, eh?

FN2, TAKE CARE of that knee! Yikes! I'm like you, horrible about backing off, but please be careful!

ChelePA, hope your errors go away soon. I know how freaking irritating that is!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 11:14 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Monday to All

There was a discussion about the number of workout DVDs that we own. I am ashamed to say that I own way, way too many and I have not counted them in more than ten years. I never really buy DVDs anymore, because I own so many and few are making DVDs anymore. I am also narrowing down the number of streaming sites I subscribe to. I want to limit it to no more than two at a time. Once subscriptions end, I am not renewing them.

I see that Cathe now has an Amazon store. https://www.amazon.com/cathe

Cataddict- I hope your knee feels better soon. I have not read Zafon but I am going to put Shadow of the Wind on my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation. I did read 10 Years of Solitude (loved) and Chronicles of a Death Foretold.

Chel
- your daughter and DH saved you from even thinking about eating the M and M's! I hope your 500 error resolves soon.

Bee-
hang in there with all of the estate tax issues.

Kim- I have not done any Petra in a while. The last Petra workout I did was The Last Step.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in