Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-20, 09:16 PM  
bfit

Somewhat OT: Terrible time finding shoes

I've written here several times about my long lasting serious foot injury. Well, now I am finally walking again, but I have new very thick orthotics plus my injured foot has an extra addition to the orthotic that makes the orthotic push my entire foot up very high in my shoes. Apparently, I will need to wear that extra piece on the orthotic for several months. The doctor said I would need to shop for shoes that fit with all of that extra height in there, and I can't find anything that doesn't smash the top of my foot up into my shoe and/or smash my toes in the front of the shoe so that my toes are almost numb. I've tried shoes for people with bunions, shoes for people with foot pain, extra wide shoes, etc., and nothing really works. I can't just get an extra large shoe because then it's falling off at the back of the foot. Does anyone have ideas?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-20, 09:58 PM  
star117

Maybe the sketchers type shoes that are 'bungee', not normal tying laces?
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-20, 11:26 PM  
LAC

It might be helpful to the visit the website healthyfeetstore.com and do a search for shoes with extra depth and/or removable footbeds (or any other options that might fit your situation). This is what came up when I did that search. If any of the results look interesting, maybe do some price comparisons on sites like shoes.com which usually has 25% off codes, or Zappos.com that has free shipping/returns.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 12:10 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

there was a time when i was wearing arch supports and on some brands, i removed the foot pad that came with the shoe. sometimes, they're glued in there, but with a little patience, they will come out without ripping. then you can insert your orthotics in there.

another tip - did you try men's shoes? for whatever reason, i prefer Nike men's shoes over any other brand.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 07:39 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Would some sort of sandal work for you - one that has a very adjustable strap across the top of your foot?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 08:53 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Would some sort of sandal work for you - one that has a very adjustable strap across the top of your foot?
That's what I was thinking..also maybe find one that has a velcro strap around the ankle like a Naot.

The advice above from bzar and LAC regarding the website and removable lining is spot on for the closed toe shoes too.

After my foot surgery, I wore a sandal or clog with a wool sock.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 11:50 AM  
warriorprincess

Clogs?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 09:38 AM  
Sollamyn

Orthoticshop is a good web store to check out. They have several different brands of "comfort" shoes. I have a swollen foot that may give me some problems for a few more months, so I am shopping around for shoes that are adjustable.

Good luck!

Donna

Tags
orthotics, shoes