Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-20, 11:06 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Post "I Just Can’t Focus At Home! 7 Things That Will Help During The Coronavirus Pandemic"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahae.../#1ed29c07631d

I found this article helpful. Especially this part:

"Know When to Cut Your Losses

We are in a pandemic. A pandemic. A PANDEMIC. Something like this hasn’t happened for literally just over a century. Cut yourself some slack. You are not going to be as productive as you normally are. You’re not a failure if you aren’t using this time to write the Great American Novel or learn Arabic. Some days, you won’t get as much done as you hoped or planned. Some days you’ll surprise yourself and get more done than you thought. Be compassionate with yourself. WE ARE IN A PANDEMIC. Seriously, this is not normal life. You can’t expect yourself to be your normal self, and neither can others. If it comes down to it, focus on your and your family’s most basic needs, even if that’s just ensuring everyone gets food, sleep and love. Somehow or another, we’re going to get through this.
"

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 11:45 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thanks, Alta. That’s a good article.

When the shut-in started, I said I would work on writing a book and workout 2 hours every day. That hasn’t happened, but I am not beating myself up about it. I have not felt well for months, due to severe sinus problems. I finally agreed to take some strong medications, and am now feeling great. So, maybe I will be able to achieve something now.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 12:04 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I feel like I cut myself too much slack. I have a couple of friends who are really using this time to be productive, and they're very productive. I have a really hard time doing much beyond the usual chores. I did some decluttering at the start, but have a hard time getting back to it. It all just seems pointless. My productive friends are pretty extroverted and I wonder if they just have to keep busy because they're not comfortable not being out with other people. Not trying to make any judgements or anything -- just observing the differences between them and me.
Old 04-20-20, 12:26 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Abbe, If it isn't too personal, what is your book about?

Bee, I have trouble focusing during the best of times. I have craft projects I'd like to do. I have been self-teaching myself a new language for years. This current stressful time has cause an almost total fail of my concentration for things that I usually enjoy.

I've been getting a good workout beating myself up about it.

As per the article, I need to focus on self-care and the needs of my loved ones. Those hobby projects will still be there when my mind is less fragmented.

ETA: I have been doing more housecleaning. A chore I am not that crazy about, but it takes little brain power, LOL!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-20-20, 02:29 PM  
LAC

I'd like to cut myself some slack, but my employer and my family won't let. I can't wait to get back to the office so I can work less hours!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 03:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Bee, I have trouble focusing during the best of times. I have craft projects I'd like to do. I have been self-teaching myself a new language for years. This current stressful time has cause an almost total fail of my concentration for things that I usually enjoy.

I've been getting a good workout beating myself up about it.

As per the article, I need to focus on self-care and the needs of my loved ones. Those hobby projects will still be there when my mind is less fragmented.

ETA: I have been doing more housecleaning. A chore I am not that crazy about, but it takes little brain power, LOL!
Thanks. Maybe we should do less beating up ourselves and guilting ourselves about it, but not necessarily do more. Seriously..... the guilt I have isn't doing me any good.
Old 04-21-20, 02:06 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Abbe, If it isn't too personal, what is your book about?
The book is about my father, who led a very interesting life.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 12:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
The book is about my father, who led a very interesting life.
That would definitely be a labor of love.

POSTURE CHECK!

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, meditation, sleep, stress