Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-19, 01:01 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Wink General thinking out loud

Do you believe that when you become a personal trainer that gives you a ticket to be a master at all exercises?

Like, I would not expect Leslie to use weights she’s a walker. I do t expect Cathe to do walking exercise. She enjoys toning the body.

So, do you think because you do one thing you can do all thinks?

What gets me is when the kettlebells came out, there was such wring instruction where people could hurt themselves more than usual doing that?

I say this because I happen to like kettlebells and there’s such bad form it should not be a dvd or a YouTube channel.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 02:03 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I generally think it depends on what training and certifications a "personal trainer" has. I don't believe that anyone can be an expert at everything. It's kind of like a cardiac physician who is extremely knowledgeable and proficient at his/her specialty but hasn't had training in psychiatry since med school.

I think that DVD instructors feel pressure to produce workouts in what seems to be the latest trend, and this can really be a problem. As you mentioned, kettlebells are great equipment, but they can cause serious injury if form isn't properly utilized. So if an instructor receives minimal training to get certified, or heaven forbid doesn't get certified at all, participants are at risk.

So no, "personal trainer" doesn't mean Master of All Things Exercise. IMHO of course.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 02:04 PM  
Hedgehog

I would think we as consumers have to be careful who we follow. I know the trainers I like, hold a certain standard in safety, form etc. For example, I trust Cathe to show good form.

On the other hand, as I've become more advanced, knowledgeable and experienced over 20+ years of workouts, I feel comfortable with trainers who may NOT hold that standard but, still have something to offer. For example, I've always been a heavy lifter. I hate endurance work lol. For a number of reasons, I got into Tonique, it's 180° from what I have always liked. As another thread mentioned, Sylwia's form can leave something to he desired during pushups. Knowing this, I still use Tonique for what drew me in. I also don't follow her form. I still get a lot out of her workouts which I would otherwise miss and, I get the added benefit of her personality and encouragement which is very different from say....Cathe (who is also encouraging in a different way.)

Personally, I have respect for and, follow more instructors who have proven they are good at what they offer for a reason. If they are dabbling in every new fad that comes out, I'm unlikely to follow them in the first place as I lean toward instructors for a reason in the first place

That was sort of rambling, I apologize....hope it makes sense!!!
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 02:11 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I would think we as consumers have to be careful who we follow. I know the trainers I like, hold a certain standard in safety, form etc. For example, I trust Cathe to show good form.

On the other hand, as I've become more advanced, knowledgeable and experienced over 20+ years of workouts, I feel comfortable with trainers who may NOT hold that standard but, still have something to offer. For example, I've always been a heavy lifter. I hate endurance work lol. For a number of reasons, I got into Tonique, it's 180° from what I have always liked. As another thread mentioned, Sylwia's form can leave something to he desired during pushups. Knowing this, I still use Tonique for what drew me in. I also don't follow her form. I still get a lot out of her workouts which I would otherwise miss and, I get the added benefit of her personality and encouragement which is very different from say....Cathe (who is also encouraging in a different way.)

Personally, I have respect for and, follow more instructors who have proven they are good at what they offer for a reason. If they are dabbling in every new fad
that comes out, I'm unlikely to follow them in the first place as I lean toward instructors for a reason in the first place

I agree with most of what you said. Cathe did do a yoga DVD, however, and that has never been in her repertoire, so that, to me, is dabbling. She only did one, though, so it's all good.

Glad to see you posting, and don't apologize for "rambling". I do quite a bit of it myself, and your post was clear, at least to me.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 02:14 PM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I generally think it depends on what training and certifications a "personal trainer" has. I don't believe that anyone can be an expert at everything. It's kind of like a cardiac physician who is extremely knowledgeable and proficient at his/her specialty but hasn't had training in psychiatry since med school.

I think that DVD instructors feel pressure to produce workouts in what seems to be the latest trend, and this can really be a problem. As you mentioned, kettlebells are great equipment, but they can cause serious injury if form isn't properly utilized. So if an instructor receives minimal training to get certified, or heaven forbid doesn't get certified at all, participants are at risk.

So no, "personal trainer" doesn't mean Master of All Things Exercise. IMHO of course.
I agree too.

I think Cathe was ask to do a kettlebell workout when it became popular but she wasn't comfortable with it and I think there was something else she was asked to do. I think Cathe does what she's knows and what she's good at doing
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 02:18 PM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

Personally, I have respect for and, follow more instructors who have proven they are good at what they offer for a reason. If they are dabbling in every new fad that comes out, I'm unlikely to follow them in the first place as I lean toward instructors for a reason in the first place

same here
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 02:19 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
I agree with most of what you said. Cathe did do a yoga DVD, however, and that has never been in her repertoire, so that, to me, is dabbling. She only did one, though, so it's all good.

Glad to see you posting, and don't apologize for "rambling". I do quite a bit of it myself, and your post was clear, at least to me.
Your posting was good to me too.

So thanks for letting me know about what they have to do. That’s not a good thing to force someone to put out a certain number of dvds to keep a contract.

This came to mind because I was searching for UGI ball instructors and couldn’t find much. But the lady did have a KB exercise also and it was way off. Then she was doing TRX and again some other piece of equipment.

I think they should focus on what they are good at and leave the rest to those that have stuck with a certain style. Or form

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 05:08 PM  
Hedgehog

Quote:

::hiding:: totally guilty vidiot here, I own both yoga max & relax and....have never done them!! Actually....it proves the point. I'm NOT a yoga pro. It is something I don't know much about and do not consider myself qualified in. For perhaps that reason....if I WAS to search out yoga, even being a die-hard Cathe fan, I probably WOULDN'T start with Cathe. It wouldn't occur to me because Cathe isn't yoga. If I got the yoga bug, I would likely search VF to figure out who the solid instructors are and, after some basic education from threads full of comments like "instructor x shows excellent form" or similar, I would probably try THAT instructor.

That's the excuse I'm going to run with for never using two videos I own!!!!
In all seriousness, I'm glad you made that point
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 06:22 PM  
wendug

Your post made me think of Kathy Smith and Denise Austin. I think they both have DVD's of every type of workout possible. And every time a Firm workout has some kickboxing type moves I cringe because the form is always awful!

I like how in KCM's Slim Sculpting workout she begins by saying that she is only doing basic kettlebell moves because form is so important with kettlebells she doesn't want to do anything difficult that can cause injury for the average exerciser that isn't familiar with kettlebells. Smart!
Old 09-09-19, 06:40 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

No. I don’t believe instructors can just decide to produce a video on anything just because they’re an instructor. I remember a long-ago thread about yoga (or maybe it was kettlebells) and I might have even started it. I think they need to be certified and have some experience first.

Also, I don't think personal trainers who decide to make videos are the best instructors. Debbie Siebers is a good example. You can just tell she doesn’t have teaching experience in her “Slim” workouts. She doesn’t mirror cue and her cuing isn’t great. That said, I still liked those workouts.

Jessica Smith was a trainer first, I believe. She’s doing pretty well, but doesn’t always cue well - soon enough, I guess I mean and isn’t always on beat. And ... I love her, too. She did say she’d never do a step workout because she’s not experienced.

I’m just leery of instructors that suddenly come out with a yoga workout, or kettlebells or barre, etc., when they’ve had a career of cardio, weights, etc. Leslie dabbles in bands and light weights, but not enough to do any real damage. :-)
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote