Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-19, 11:12 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm back. I took a break from VF, Jessica Smith (FB group), and Sparkpeople right after I posted my last post on 1/27/19, so I'm sorry I never got back to anyone until now.

I have been thinking about meditation, changing my workouts (for now, at least) to Classical Stretch, yoga, and just doing my own cardio to music that I truly love and enjoy. I know that my diet is a major obstacle in my weight loss goals, and I will have to really focus on positive efforts in that vein. Food has some sort of psychological hold over me that I may need to discuss with a counselor if I can't get it under control using my own techniques (small habit changes, cooking/prepping healthy meals instead of snacking my way through the day--which became a habit when I was too tired and/or too depressed to get off the couch and work in the kitchen).

Recovery will be a longer process than I had hoped, I guess. But I am seeing small positive changes taking place (other than weight loss--which still eludes me!) and eventually, with more effort on my part, those changes will start to build on each other and I will see the rewards of my efforts. And those rewards will be my motivators to keep going and make other changes, as necessary.

Thanks, again! It really means a lot to me that I have reliable sources of support here at VF.

Donna
Old 02-16-19, 11:58 AM  
Scorpio6

Get your thyroid checked, your TSH should be no higher than 1.5 and preferably 1.0. Be sure the dr includes the antibodies test bc that is what would show the Hashimoto's type of low thyroid.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 12:00 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I have read that kundalini yoga regulates appetite and metabolism when done regularly - when I did kundalini daily my weight was a lot lower but many other things in my life were different as well, but I do think that kundalini was part of that equation.
I agree.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 10:27 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Get your thyroid checked, your TSH should be no higher than 1.5 and preferably 1.0. Be sure the dr includes the antibodies test bc that is what would show the Hashimoto's type of low thyroid.
I am already being treated for hypothyroid issues and so far, so good. Thank you!

Donna
Old 02-17-19, 10:27 AM  
ellaenchanted

Walking and moderate intensity cardio. For weights, if you want to life heavier, just make your own rotation with 1 or 2 sets of 8-10 reps and work at a moderate to slow pace. I find that I get hungrier with heavy weights if I am doing too many reps and too many exercises. My weight workouts are about 15 minutes for heavy weights and about 20-25 when I do lighter/endurance weights workouts. I am stronger doing this than I ever was doing long workouts or doing regular intense workouts. Instead, I sprinkle in more intense and high impact moves in my daily workouts. So I may do 1 or 2 high impact, high intensity exercises but the rest are low impact and moderate. Sometimes, I only do moderate, low impact exercises. I am a broken record but I use a lot of Pahla Bowers (youtube) and Tone It Up workouts because they are short and effective with my cardio (I like walking and jogging/running)

I guess this was a long winded way to say that exercising moderately is what has worked best for keeping me fit and not affecting my appetite.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 03:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I have been thinking about meditation, changing my workouts (for now, at least) to Classical Stretch, yoga, and just doing my own cardio to music that I truly love and enjoy. I know that my diet is a major obstacle in my weight loss goals, and I will have to really focus on positive efforts in that vein. Food has some sort of psychological hold over me that I may need to discuss with a counselor if I can't get it under control using my own techniques (small habit changes, cooking/prepping healthy meals instead of snacking my way through the day--which became a habit when I was too tired and/or too depressed to get off the couch and work in the kitchen).
Recovery will be a longer process than I had hoped, I guess. But I am seeing small positive changes taking place (other than weight loss--which still eludes me!) and eventually, with more effort on my part, those changes will start to build on each other and I will see the rewards of my efforts. And those rewards will be my motivators to keep going and make other changes, as necessary.

Thanks, again! It really means a lot to me that I have reliable sources of support here at VF.

Donna
Regarding food having a psychological hold on you. I struggle with this too. Specifically when it comes to sweets. I felt totally out of control around them. I am at the tail end of a year long nutrition coaching program through Precision Nutrition. You get daily emails with the lessons and a coach who checks in with you regularly. It basically works on making small habit changes like you mentioned. One habit is added every two weeks or so. Without getting too much into the "D word" week one is eating slowly, week 2 is stopping eating at 80% full, followed by weeks devoted to making sure to eat a serving of veggies, protein, certain carbs, water with each meal, etc. Portion sizes were addressed with easy to use guidelines based on your size (no weighing or measuring.) The behavioral elements included were planning meals, using relaxation techniques, improving sleep, getting used to being "uncomfortable" and addressing underlying feelings, attitudes that lead to overeating. Just some examples.

I learned that I am a creature of habit. I always stop at ____ for ____ when I ______. Sometimes I am not really in the mood for _____ but I eat it out of habit. Also, I found by delaying gratification, the craving for ___ would pass. I act like a petulant teenager sometimes and hate being told I can't eat____. So I tell myself "you can have ____, but later" This works well for me. Not every time but enough. It takes practice.
This was a very expensive program and frankly some of the lessons and habits were silly but some of that was me being a petulant teenager. There are apps like Noom that have coaching that are less expensive but I do not have experience with them. Noom has a free 14 day trial if you are interested.

You mentioned meditation. If you download the Insight Timer app there are so many free meditations, several that address overeating. Hugh Byrne has a talk on there about mindful habit change and a 10 day course (which you have to pay for) about changing unwanted habits. I also recommend his book "The Here and Now Habit" which covers the same information.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 06:30 PM  
marki64

Have fruit and veggies cut up in the fridge. A handful of peanuts always helps too. Eat a banana and a slice of peanut butter toast and a glass of milk.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 12:32 PM  
meg39

I just wanted to suggest that if you are going to try yoga, to be sure to include the savasanna (sp?). I used to take gentle yoga classes a couple times a week, and found that the relaxation/meditation at the end really helped me to find control over food cravings. It's so easy at home with dvd's to skip that part of the workout, but when I was in the classroom, you couldn't just walk out, and I learned how important that part of class was...and it made such a difference.

Good luck!
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 12:56 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg39 View Post
I just wanted to suggest that if you are going to try yoga, to be sure to include the savasanna (sp?). I used to take gentle yoga classes a couple times a week, and found that the relaxation/meditation at the end really helped me to find control over food cravings. It's so easy at home with dvd's to skip that part of the workout, but when I was in the classroom, you couldn't just walk out, and I learned how important that part of class was...and it made such a difference.

Good luck!
Savasana is my favorite part of my practice! In fact, if a practice that I'm doing doesn't include it, I feel cheated.
Old 02-18-19, 01:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I'm also glad you got your sleep apnea treated. There is a distinct and measurable correspondence between poor sleep and weight gain.. The summary gives a brief explanation of this.
just fyi everyone - as this is big issue for me and most physicians either don't know or refuse to believe that the evidence shows that cpaps lead to weight gain. Below is the abstract of a meta analysis, so this is not a one off finding. Also, one study I found showed an effect for gender (women gained, men didn't) and bmi (non-obese people gained). Also another study found that the higher the level of compliance (number of nights of use and number of hours per night) was associated with greater weight gain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25432944

I found this study after I gained 10 pounds in 5 months and had to purchase all new pants to wear to work.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, cpap, hunger, noom, weight loss