Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-17, 09:16 AM  
bubbles76

No suggestions, but welcome back! I also missed your tag line, and love your posts.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 10:48 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Another thought - KCM's Start Here? I really like that one. Kelly says it is intended for light days or coming back from an injury, but I don't find it to be a weenie workout at all. It's a workout you can grow with by putting more oomph into the cardio portions (low impact all) or increasing weights for the dumbbell work.

Here's a clip: Start Here
i second this. also, would a recent Leslie Sansone workout embarrass you?

i like this one since it has a couple of dudes in it and has a weights workout: Walk it Off in 30 days and here's a clip: Walk it Off in 30 days

i also second the re-filmed P90 with Tony Horton. i just got this during Christmas for myself, but it's a lot better than the original in how it's structured.

in this youtube clip, at 2:06, you can see the workout: the new P90

and Welcome Back!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 01:44 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Welcome back! I too enjoyed your posts from before. I wish you a lot of luck on your fitness journey.

I don't have any recommendations except to second the Dysfunctional Parrot blog that was mentioned. I think you would appreciate his reviews and variety of programs he covers.
Old 03-10-17, 02:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Welcome back!

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if these have already been mentioned. If your looking for something more beginner-ish, I'd recommend PowerFit or PowerFit Harmony. You can find rotations online using one or the other or both combined. For more intermediate I like Debbie Sieber's Slim in 6 & Slim Series. Like PF & PFH, you can find rotations online for them together or on their own. Jessica Smith's sets are good too.

All the best & keep us posted!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 03:18 PM  
Judy W.

Welcome back! I join the crowd cheering you on. I hope you'll continue to post progress (lots) as well as setbacks (hopefully minor). We all go through them!

I second the Jessica Smith YouTube suggestion. If you find you like her, you might purchase the first Walk Strong set. It's a complete 6 week rotation, intermediate, modifiable and no-dread.

Whatever you choose, best wishes!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 04:14 PM  
rvagal

Until recently I'd only done The Firm, so those are the ones I know best off the top of my head. I think some of the pink Firms would fit the bill -- they're not too fast or dancey. I'd look at Hi Def Sculpt (has an express version), Power Half Hour, and Burn and Shape.

I have a health condition that causes exercise intolerance . . . not fun for an avid exerciser! I look like I'm in good shape but my cardiovascular fitness will never be strong. I was huffing and puffing walking up hills at the park yesterday while people who looked like they never work out were doing them just fine. But you know . . . that's totally OK!!! We all have our limitations and the important thing is to do what works for you and not worry about comparing yourself to anyone else.

I'll be honest, it was an adjustment to go from a much higher level of fitness to where I am now. Thinking of myself as an athlete was part of my identity. I've had to accept what I can and can't do. Be kind to yourself and give yourself lots of credit for your efforts and grace for circumstances that have made things harder for you.
Old 03-10-17, 04:22 PM  
Blackadar

Wow! Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. I haven't had time to analyze them all but here's some initial feedback and questions:

1. Remember that I have the coordination of Chevy Chase playing Gerald Ford. While I have smartly put most of the breakables out of reach, there are large plate glass doors on the back of my house in FL that I'd like not to tumble through Thus workouts like Cathe's ICE are entirely out...I guarantee I'd find a way to launch myself from the step into the middle of the back yard.

2. What's the difference between the old P90 and the new one from an actual moves standpoint (not the production values)? I have the very old ones still and I did them so much I can put on headphones and not listen/watch Tony at all....or laugh at the form of Lisa trying to throw a punch.

3. I'm not entirely keen on giving BeachBody another $100 unless it's the most awesome workout ever. They've gotten too much of my money over the years with less than ideal results. Core de Force looks interesting but frankly one of the reasons I love Les Mills Combat so much was the personalities of Rachel and Dan. These new folks look much more "in your face" which I'm frankly not interested in much anymore. I like a little humor in my workouts (which is also the reason I like Tony) - if people are going to laugh at the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man doing a workout, I'd like to laugh a bit too.

4. I tried the Millionaire Hoy workout today. Thank you for the suggestion. His beginner...is not a beginner. I think my knees just went on strike for about two weeks. He has a nice personality but that man has a weird idea of what a beginner can do. "We're going to start jogging today...go run 4 miles".

I'll sort through any other suggestions that you guys have. Thanks!

(now to go soak my poor knees)

PS - no one got the Pink Floyd reference in the title? Shame!
Old 03-10-17, 04:25 PM  
Dabbadooey

Wh names their child Millionaire anyway?
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 04:40 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Also wanted to welcome you back, you've been missed. Sorry you've had to go through a rough time, Life knocks us down sometimes. Sound like you've gotten back up though. I think (except for me and a few others) this group skews a little young for Pink Floyd

I don't have any suggestions either since I'm a dance and yoga lover. Take that back--I don't think I've seen Hamelin d'Abell recommended here.

He aims his product at women mostly, but he is non-dancy and can be very basic. He uses light weights/high reps but can wear you out! Some of his cardio is high impact but can be modified; there's a new one on YouTube called CardioTone 2A that's low impact but can be challenging.

Best of luck and stick around!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 04:56 PM  
sherry7899

PS - no one got the Pink Floyd reference in the title? Shame! QUOTE

I am a music geek, so I should have gotten the reference!!

Do you have KCM's "Start Here?" If I still have my copy, I'd be glad to pass it along to you. I will check later and post back.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackadar is back!, new p90, reviews