Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-14, 11:10 PM  
firmaholic

The 6 dvds for$39.98 sounds great. Those that are Joyce experts, what do you recommend. I would like a nice mix of old and new. I know I would get Buttoms Up Gold, but what else?

TIA
Julia
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 02:19 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

because of this thread, i stopped at the library on the way home (got a nice 12 min brisk walk) and picked up Definition.

i love the way she writes - funny and entertaining.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 05:39 AM  
aunatural

I can't say I lost weight because of her workout since I was also trying really hard to eat better at the same time. I got great results doing Fast Forward for 3-4 months. I consider that the most effective weight workout in my collection. I am seriously burned out on it though so I'm rotating through my Firm workouts now. My only complaint with Joyce is the lifting pace can make it really hard to go heavier. As I got stronger and increased my weights, she was often already well into the next set when I was finishing up the last one.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 07:38 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunatural View Post
I can't say I lost weight because of her workout since I was also trying really hard to eat better at the same time. I got great results doing Fast Forward for 3-4 months. I consider that the most effective weight workout in my collection. I am seriously burned out on it though so I'm rotating through my Firm workouts now. My only complaint with Joyce is the lifting pace can make it really hard to go heavier. As I got stronger and increased my weights, she was often already well into the next set when I was finishing up the last one.
This!!!

I've tried Joyce's DVDs, but she moves at warp speed! It's ridiculous, and really unsafe using heavier weights. I really, really wish she would make videos using the poundage she herself uses (like Cathe does) with a modifier, like her daughter, using lighter weights.

When I feel like working out with Joyce, I stick with her books so I can work out at my own pace.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 07:43 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
because of this thread, i stopped at the library on the way home (got a nice 12 min brisk walk) and picked up Definition.

Definition is a terrific workout, but if you choose the option with the most exercises, it has a very high dread factor--or at least it does for me. When I do a Definition rotation I just stick with the base level workout and get good results.

Joyce is very amusing--I enjoy her writing style. She's a great example of the benefits of weightlifting.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 08:17 AM  
pollytc

I have a few of Joyce"s books, and many of her dvds. I haven't used them all, but generally gravitate to her "Just" series. This thread has inspired me to break out my Joyce dvds.

As some of you might know, I have been struggling with my health this year (fibromyalgia) so trying to take a different approach to my workouts. I'm wondering what a Joyce and lower body barre rotation would do as far as results? I also ordered her Cougar workout this morning. Any thoughts on this one?
Old 07-02-14, 08:25 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

I haven't done a Joyce wo in years however when I pick one, it's usually Definition. This workout delivers the promised results for me. I do the basic 15 minute upper body workout and my arms tone up nicely......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 08:26 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
This!!!

I've tried Joyce's DVDs, but she moves at warp speed! It's ridiculous, and really unsafe using heavier weights. I really, really wish she would make videos using the poundage she herself uses (like Cathe does) with a modifier, like her daughter, using lighter weights.

When I feel like working out with Joyce, I stick with her books so I can work out at my own pace.
This is what I've done in the past -- use the books. I'm a visual person, so her media is still nice for reference but I preferred to go it alone once I got the hang of her routine.

It's worth the hassle, though. If I was results-oriented, I'd only do Joyce Vedral upper body weight training. Her workouts are very effective but her DVD's aren't fun. They are low-cost productions. She really does move too fast. She's also rather goofy. Because her media is so bad, she's underrated on VF. It's a shame, really. I wish she'd get a VF'er to manage her. So much untapped market potential there.

I did JV weight training back in my running days. I don't know if she's effective for losing weight because I was already bordering on underweight at the time and didn't need to lose any weight. She's certainly effective at building and defining muscle, though. People who saw professional trainers at my healthclub would occasionally sneak behind their backs to ask me what I was doing to get my results. I just wrote down her book titles.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 09:29 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaholic View Post
The 6 dvds for$39.98 sounds great. Those that are Joyce experts, what do you recommend. I would like a nice mix of old and new. I know I would get Buttoms Up Gold, but what else?

TIA
Julia
I generally stay away from the older titles because of Joyce's lifting speed (for those, I use the books, which is where Joyce really shines, IMO). The newer stuff with daughter Marthe counting is much more reasonable: BUG+, the Just Arms (etc.) series, Slow Duet, Quick Quartet, Fast Forward, Speedy Non-Stop (not really speedy), and Top Shape. Bone Building is good too.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 09:59 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I generally stay away from the older titles because of Joyce's lifting speed (for those, I use the books, which is where Joyce really shines, IMO). The newer stuff with daughter Marthe counting is much more reasonable: BUG+, the Just Arms (etc.) series, Slow Duet, Quick Quartet, Fast Forward, Speedy Non-Stop (not really speedy), and Top Shape. Bone Building is good too.
I agree with Joan. Joyce's newer workouts are better. Bottoms Up Gold Plus, the Just Joyce series (but be aware Just Abs is 6 ab workouts from her older DVDs) and Speedy Non-Stop are some of my favorites.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only