Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-10, 12:28 PM  
JanuaryMom

Preventative Workouts / Longevity

I was reading about v-core, and was interested in the health aspect of it. Are there any other workouts made with a similar premise? Workouts that would prevent future shoulder, back, knee, etc. problems? and still have weight loss and strengthening benefits.

I am still a beginner to becoming active and I would like to choose activities that will be best for my body in the long run. Examples, I don't run ... prefer elliptical / rebounder to lesser impact on joints. Swimming and water are not an option.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!
JanuaryMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 12:33 PM  
herya

Well it's one of the reasons why I focused on yoga... I can see myself doing yoga for years to come and according to the research available it is very beneficial in the long run.
Old 09-05-10, 01:05 PM  
KathAL79

Tracie Long's more recent efforts may fit the bill for you. I'm talking specifically about her Tracie Long Training (TLTs), Longevity, and Focus series.

Isn't this the premise of the WHFN (Women's Health & Fitness Network) DVDs, too?

Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix series would also be worth a look. She's a PT who has come back from a serious car accident (IIRC) to resume her marathon running.

Specifically rehab / prehab DVDs include JB Berns' Freedom Restoration Series (formerly Rehab Your Body at Home), Debbie Siebers' Total Body Solution, and Chantal Donnelly's Strong Knees.

I agree that yoga offers many great benefits that can lead to a long, healthy life. There are a number of different styles, each with their own benefits. You may be interested in Dr. Fishman's Yoga for Osteoporosis book, which details how yoga can help prevent bone issues later in life.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 02:38 PM  
horsemom2

Fitstix

Fitstix have a therapeutic effect on the joints of the upper body while strengthening the muscles. The workouts use the upper body and core more to boost the intensity and have simple foot patterns with little impact that use little space so rebounder friendly.

Barb S
who also uses Walkfit Platinum inserts when workingout which seems to keep the lower body joints in alignment
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 04:23 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch is very preventative and restorative. I'd recommend Miranda's newer TV series or her new Core or Back Pain Relief workouts.

Ellen Barrett, too, is very gentle and therapuetic. I like her original Studio workouts--Fat Burning Fusion, Slim Sculpt, and Yogini.

Jackie
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 04:43 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I am no expert but both Qi Gong and Tai Chi consistently turn up in medical journals and discussions as very healthful, protective and preventative practices.

From my own experience, I'd agree with Jackie about Classical Stretch.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 06:46 PM  
Demeris

To Classical Stretch I want to add T-tapp. I firmly believe that both of these workouts work your muscles from end to end, not just the belly of the muscle.

As we age, we lose muscle tissue, including the muscle tissue near the insertion to the bone (as the muscle becomes more fascia/cartilage--I pray the scientists aren't too horrified by my understanding of the human body--I'm drawing on a lecture by Teresa Tapp that I heard 7 years ago and on the Classical Stretch book I read a year and a half ago).

Both Classical Stretch and T-Tapp (and I suspect yoga and related body weight exercise systems) force stress all along the muscle tissue, so not only does the bone strengthen because of stress, so does the muscle at insertion.

That rehabilitates skeletal-muscular alignment and prevents future injuries. Again, my apologies to those who know their anatomy.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 01:48 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I am no expert but both Qi Gong and Tai Chi consistently turn up in medical journals and discussions as very healthful, protective and preventative practices.
Yes, there are many rotational movements of the joints in Qi Gong in particular which help to increase the production of synovial fluid in the joints, which should help to stave off arthritis, and the pain and stiffening of joints which often occur as people age. If Qi Gong ain't your thang, joint mobility drills have a similar effect.

My former martial arts teacher, who is also a hospital-based physiotherapist, said that many of the problems commonly associated with ageing, and which used to be considered inevitable, are now considered to be pathological. Or to put it more plainly, these problems can often be prevented through exercise.

I find Qi Gong and Tai Chi very de-stressing and relaxing.
Old 09-06-10, 08:30 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Kath saved me some typing on this one, I can just cut-and-paste some of her post! (Thanks, Kath!)
Tracie Long Training (TLTs), Longevity, and Focus series.

Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix series would also be worth a look.

JB Berns' Freedom Restoration Series (formerly Rehab Your Body at Home)*, Debbie Siebers' Total Body Solution, and Chantal Donnelly's Strong Knees.

[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the original title was Freedom Restoration (one of two DVD's, the other was supposed to be less rehabby and more workout, but had many of the same moves) and "Rehab Your Body at Home" was the second title. I''m not sure if the original second DVD is still for sale (under any name).

In general, I find that workouts that engage the core a lot make me sweat a lot more than I would think they would, which suggests to me that core activation burns more calories (in fact, I think Tracie Long said something like activating the core burns X% more calories?).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denise beatty, longevity, prehab, prevention