Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-21, 02:37 PM  
LoveVA

I'm Starting to Feel Bad for My Workout DVDs

I finished Day 73 of 80 Day Obsession today.

I've made great strength gains, lost 2 inches off my waist, an inch off each thigh, and I'm not even done yet. Since 21 Day Fix Extreme (real time) in late December, I've dropped 6.5lbs (I don't really have that much to lose, so I'm losing at a slow pace).

This is the 3rd Beachbody program I've done in my life (Brazil Butt Lift years ago, 21DFXRT in December 2020 and now 80DO) and each time has been the only times when I've really changed my body-both in losing inches all over, getting rid of my lower ab pouch, and getting stronger, everything tightening up.

When I do my workout DVDs, picking what I do each day (3 strength training/week, 2-3 cardio/week), nothing changes. My weight loss stalls, my abs look the same, nothing really changes. My diet hasn't changed that much other than I've cut back on nut consumption to dial back my fat intake.

My DVDs have sat on the shelf, neglected and unused. I feel bad for them, but I don't know what else to do. I'm already planning to do A Little More Obsessed for a week and then moving on to the The Prep followed by The Work. By then, 9 week control freak off the wall will probably be available, and I bet I'll do that as well.

I have no idea when I'll get back to them.

edited to add: I do a lot of Cathe (both the digital workouts and her DVDs) and try to mix in some other instructors like KCM, among others. I feel like I'm mixing it up, but maybe I'm just doing too much of the same thing or maybe I'm mixing it up too much and not working certain muscles consistently enough. I have no idea.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 02:41 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I know what you mean. I definitely feel like I've made more progress the times I've stuck to a scheduled rotation - meaning a plan developed by someone else with each day's workout on the schedule. I always end up just dabbling with one thing or another when I don't do this. And while I may enjoy my workouts this way, and I may maintain my fitness level, I never really make any specific improvements. Even when I set up my own "rotation", it never seems to work as well as a real program.
Old 03-26-21, 02:43 PM  
Erica H.

That's fantastic that you've seen such good results!

I haven't used my DVDs in a long time - I've been using youtube workouts instead. I love the variety and trying new workouts almost every day. But, unlike you, I think my results were better with DVDs and sticking with certain workouts instead of all of the variety I'm doing now.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 03:19 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
That's fantastic that you've seen such good results!

I haven't used my DVDs in a long time - I've been using youtube workouts instead. I love the variety and trying new workouts almost every day. But, unlike you, I think my results were better with DVDs and sticking with certain workouts instead of all of the variety I'm doing now.

Erica
Same here.
I'm figuring -- at least I'm motivated to actually exercise right now! I'm enjoying my new finds (and weeding out the junk) with no investment on my part except the time. My wallet thanks me.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 08:27 PM  
star117

Liift4 is also great. If I still had bod, I'd also do mbf/mbfa and 10 rounds. I've spent a lot on dvds this year, so I don't see me streaming again.
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 08:50 PM  
jusca

You could always put the dvds up on vf roost and I'll see if some can come to a home where they'll be worn out. Only kidding!

Maybe you'll return to a dvd or two in the future. It sounds like you're enjoying the streaming options so don't feel bad. I think we all mix up the different media options from time to time.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 09:09 PM  
edensmom

I didn't touch a DVD for 5 years until last November. I was super into my gym workouts. Now I'm back to using dvds most days with some YouTube mixed in. I got rid of (and lost ) SO many dvds during that time and I wish I had held onto them. You never know!
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 02:50 PM  
prettyinpink

I’ve had results with DVD rotations, or modified rotations, before. But my best results have been with paper weight workouts that don’t follow a video at all.
Doing weights to someone else’s count feels so limiting to me now.

Sometimes I still do better with cardio with a video, if it’s fun and motivating.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 05:11 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
My DVDs have sat on the shelf, neglected and unused. I feel bad for them, but I don't know what else to do
This describes exactly how I have been feeling lately. I started getting into YouTube workouts at the beginning of the pandemic when Jenny Ford started offering live step workouts, then soon after I discovered Cdorner Fitness, Kat Gates-Buettner and Giana Storey, and Fit Outside the Box. I can't keep up with all their new releases. My list of favourites just grew from there and I still keep discovering new channels. For a while I went months without using a singe DVD or VHS. Recently, I have started to make sure I use at least one DVD or VHS per week, just to relieve some of my guilt.

I worked so hard on building my collection, I just couldn't bear to part with it. Plus, the ones I have are great workouts and I still do enjoy them whenever I pull one out. Any workouts that I truly didn't like I have already removed from my collection.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvds versus streaming, rotations, variety