Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-03-21, 12:48 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Hello All and a belated welcome to Vintage! Nice to have you join us. In my mind, you are VF "royalty" so I feel honored that you're joining us. I have it in my mind that you have a lot of focus on strength work for bone strengthening.... correct? Among other goals, I'm sure.
"VF Royalty" - that makes me smile. Some VFers may call me a royal pain in the butt.

I do focus on strength. I had a vertebral compression fracture from coughing a few years back so I try to keep up with the weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
...Alta I agree with Bee that you're VF royalty. I have some more very important questions: Do you have any pets? Are those beautiful eyes in your avatar picture yours? And the reference to FN stands for "fiercely nuts". It was given to Cataddict and Kittybug for their workouts which, if I recall correctly, were quite long, quite hard or doubled up. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. Manley has lately been doing those type of things, thus the FN name for her too. ...
Kim, I have two rescue kitty brothers. I put their photo in my VF profile just now. Those eyes are from an old photo of me from the 1980's. I used to change my avatar regularly, but then folks didn't know who I was.

Thanks for explaining the FN references!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
It's so sad. One village burned out almost completly! The people only had about 15 minutes to flee! And some didn't make it. I heard a report about a man saying that his parents didn't have time to escape.
Nathalie, that is horrifying about that man's parents. The fires were very bad here last summer. They came within a few miles and we almost had to flee. It was slow moving, but the winds can kick things up. It seems to be "fire season" all year 'round anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
VVFer,... Oh, and incidentally, I never really associated the word "sneak" with respect to you based on my knowledge of VF history, and that's a good thing. Keeps it lively. Glad you are here, and don't worry about catching up on the lengthy thread(s). I didn't join the group on the old thread right away and was part of it in no time. And you, with your Royal Pedigree, will definitely add another level of class to our group. ...
Well, cataddict, I have caused some trouble over the years. There will be no trouble here in Watuland, but I can't guarantee about the GD.

Yesterday, I did Walk It Off with George (Foreman) Walk & Box (2004). Petra Kolber leads and George has fun joking about his boxing experiences. These WIOWG workouts an easy to follow and can be made harder. I didn't make it harder. I think I might plan a rest/rehab week next week. I'm tired!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 01:37 PM  
horusosiris

Happy 4th to All

Welcome Vintage. The more the merrier. Buns of Steel - I used to do that one so often. I also liked Abs and Thighs of Steel.

Chel- I hope you are improving daily and know that I am thinking of you.

Mickey- we are going back to Gettysburg later this summer or Fall. Your trip sound so enjoyable.

I did rejoin Cathe Live. I am going to catch up on all of the CL workouts that I did not do since I left CL. What can I say? I missed Cathe! It is nice to see that everyone is back although I did enjoy the CL workouts with Cathe alone. I recently did 351- Intense Upper Body and I liked it.

Did anyone watch any of the Olympic trial events? I watched track and field, swimming and gymnastics. The games should be exciting! I hope that they can pull off the games and keep everyone safe. Of course, we watched the track and field trials in Eugene, OR. I wanted to go but I was glad that I did not because it was so HOT! The rest of family that went said they suffered in the heat. They had to postpone several T+F event because it was just too hot. One of my son’s athletes won their event in the T+F trials and will be going to Tokyo. Another of the athletes that he trains made it to the finals but did not qualify. He is so happy. At the Brazil Olympics he also had several athletes compete.

Recently we went to the Botanical Gardens. This huge garden is exquisite and beautiful. I love beautiful gardens and if were rich, I would have several acres of gardens. Part of the garden is just like the tropical rain forest and another section is like living in the dessert. The majestic greenhouse itself is an architectural feat. The place is so serene that I feel as though I could stay forever. M The [place is so large that you could never see and enjoy it in one day. Sometimes I just go there to sit and study or to listen to music. The paths are so well maintained with flowers and greenery. The staff to maintain the place must be huge. The whole family goes to the train show every year in December and everyone absolutely loves it.

Have a great 4th and stay strong!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 12:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Yesterday, I did Paul Eugene's "Stretching Balance Exercise Workout" on YouTube. It is a very slow flexibility, mobility and balance workout. I mean, really slow. Some days, it is the perfect workout. The only con is the the sound quality is poor. The music is good, but his voice did not record well. I like it anyway!

I had thought it was cool to exercise with an instructor that was older than I. But, no, he is about a year younger.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-04-21, 02:11 PM  
lavna

Happy 4th of July Watulans!

Today, I did RWH Plyo Hiit 1 (minus the burpees!) followed by Live 323 Legs Express, parts of ICE TTM and Icy core 1. A good 1 hour workout!

I'm starting to be tempted by the Boss Loops workout. It seems to be a good workout that should work the legs effectively. I would have to buy some loops as the ones I have are thin and would not be very comfortable for a whole workout. And, since the pre-sale prince for both downloads is the same as the regular price of one, I'd get both even if I'm not a fan of band workouts. I do have plenty of leg workouts though... Decisions, decisions....

It's cooler today but very sunny! Great weather!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Hugs to everyone!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 02:17 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Oh, I almost forgot to mention our appliance story to add to the Watulan list! Nothing so dramatic as ovens exploding into a towering inferno, but wash cycles that would repeat themselves over and over and over again. Our water bill was crazy before I figured out what was going on. The repair guy said it might be the suspension and could fix it for $350 and/or the control board might be faulty for a cost of $700. Well, nope on both options since it's a 6 year old washer which apparently is now close to the useful life for a washer these days. We had our last washer for 15 years so on needing one after 6 years!
I've had my fridge and my range/oven since 1996 and I'm afraid to change them because I know that the new ones won't last as long! And since the space for my fridge is small (my kitchen was made before the appliances started increasing in size), I would probably be harder to find another one that fits easily. So I'm hanging on to them for the time being!
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 04:57 PM  
manleym

Happy 4th of July everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying your day/long weekend. We didn't have any plans. Just hanging around the house. Hubby pulled out the smoker so we're having poppers tonight with some other things he's smoking. Side note - if you like red bell peppers, smoking them is the BEST flavor of any cooking method we've tried. Grilled is good, but smoking takes the flavor to a whole different level. Hubby smokes a red pepper, then stuffs it in a chicken breast, wraps bacon around it, puts BBQ sauce on it, and smokes all of it together. It is tasty!

FOLOV Watulan P.I.!! LOL! You are so clever!

Bee that is crazy about the dogs breaking a fire hydrant! Glad ya'll were able to get it fixed quickly and easily. I don't remember anything about Brenda breaking her hip, but wouldn't be surprised with as many triathlon's as she has done. They are hard on a body. But breaking a hip is a HUGE deal and I would think hard for someone as young as she is (meaning she not old and fell). Obviously if she did break her hip she had a bad fall.

Cataddict I'm going with Team Sister for Brenda's relative. Wish she would be in another Live and Cathe introduce her again...then we would know. And you're theory is a good one. I think Cathe mistakenly introduced her as Brenda's daughter and we didn't hear a correction. To be continued for sure...
Crazy about your washer story! Glad you found your little/big guy safe and sound. Was he scared so he was hiding under the bed since there was so much going on with the washer?
And YES it kills me when Cathe ends with burpees! It also kills me when she opens with snowboarders. I don't mind air jacks quite as much, but those durn snowboarders always get me.

VVFer I'm honored to be in royalty! How cool is that?!? I really like flexibility/mobility workouts. I usually add yoga or a flexibility/ mobility to my regular workout. I can really tell a difference in how I feel when I do them regularly. Body just works better.

Horusosiris good to hear from you! Yes, I watched the Olympic trails and LOVED them! Watched track & field, swimming, and gymnastics. LOTS of fun to watch and LOTS of incredible talent representing the U.S. I can't even begin to imagine what the T&F athletes were experiencing with the horrible, unprecedented heat. We missed the last race since it had to be postponed. How neat that your family went! How exciting that your son's athletes do so well! Tokyo and Brazil! That's something to be proud of! Will your son be able to go to Tokyo since he's a trainer? The Botanical Gardens sounds so peaceful. I would love a place like that and can see how you like to go and just be.

Nathalie I pre-ordered Cathe's new dvds and bands. I think they will be a nice change of pace and hopefully something different. Agree that the bands workout will be a great lower body workout.

Kittybug the trials are over. There might be something on Peacock - I don't know because I've never explored Peacock but when we were watching the trails they would say the trials are streaming on Peacock. We just watched them on our local NBC station. Can't wait for the Tokyo games!

Workouts:
Friday was Cathe Live #42: Cardio Core Circuit. I gotta say I wasn't really looking forward to it because I just didn't fell like doing endless burpees, snowboards, etc. But it was perfect because there was great variety, and those HiiT moves didn't last long. Very doable. And I liked the core moves after each set of cardio and putting all of core moves together at end. I liked that the core was standing so I wasn't getting up and down off the floor so much. I don't really like doing that in a HiiT workout, so all standing core with weights was perfect.
Saturday was Cathe Live #107 Summer 2016 Kickoff and it was a GREAT workout! I LOVED the variety! Starts off with kickboxing, then moves into
metabolic leg work (Athletic Training-style) with the weighted gloves adding punches. I liked that for something different. Then back to more cardio kickboxing using the step for more intense cardio blasts. Then the gloves come off for lower body strength work, then some upper body strength and finally core. This workout has everything and is so varied and comprehensive. I don't think there was anything left out. And I really liked using the weighted gloves during the step part. I've never done that before.

Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 05:53 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy 4th of July my Watulan friends!!

Okay, so I wasn't gonna say it and sound like a gushing fan girl, but I too am so honored VVfer, VF Royalty, is here. But for some reason, I keep thinking of tinfoil hats. And you said the magic word on that workout you mentioned, 'slow'....I might have to check that out. Slow works for me right now with all this spasming that's happening!

Watulan P.I. OMG I'll be right over for some smoked peppers!!! That sounds deeeeelicious! Bummer on the trials, wah!

Nathalie, I feel for you on the Bands preorder. I've seen some Canadians on Cathe's forum deeply complaining on the ridiculous shipping cost for them. That being said, I'm insanely looking forward to getting these because I think they'll be just what I need right now. Thanks for the portable A/C info...you described that perfectly, actually, and again, you don't give yourself enough credit for your awesome command of English. Sounds like it wouldn't work for our setup, so thanks for your description!

Horusosiris, that's an amazing Olympics story! And your Botanical Gardens sound absolutely divine. We have some here too but not close enough to just enjoy like that. Plus it's way too hot to be outside!

OMG FN2, I would have FREAKED about the cat (well, and the washer, but we already know my appliance woes!). When the guys were delivering the fridge, they had to take our front door off the hinges, and I had just managed to get all the creatures but Charli our little Tortie upstairs and locked in the bedroom. Nope, she was UNDER the couch, waiting for her moment to bolt, which terrified me that she'd bolt right out the doorless door. So I scruffed her and basically manhandled her, holding her out from my body whilst running for the stairs, her hissing and clawing the whole way, and one of the installer guys walks RIGHT in front of us as this is happening...he freaked out, she freaked out, I got clawed to death, but I managed to get her safely into the bedroom and was grateful for my cardio capacity because my heart was racing away, hah hah!

Bee, those are some rambunctious pups!! Sheesh! I'm jealous of your weather.

Kim, I have to check out that slow flow you mentioned. My poor ID subscription is just sitting there due to my injuries!

So Friday I realized I had some of the Slim in 6 workouts, so I did Burn It Up. It went okay except some of the tubing work did irritate my upper back issue. Yesterday was chores, and today I (thanks to Kim!!) was able to do Firm It Up which was just perfect for me right now since no weights were used and it was all lower body. But man, pelvic tilts that go on FOR DAYS. Anywho, so far so good, not feeling any worse than I felt before starting, so that's good. Thanks again, Kim!!

Waves to FOLV, Kate, Garrie, and special hugs to ChelePA! Hope I didn't miss anyone. Stay fierce, Watulans, and enjoy the holiday!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 10:03 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy 4th, Watulans!

Yesterday was Cathe Live #163 Buff Upper Body. I think 2Lazy listed it as #165 but it's 163. Anyway I thought I would not like this one when it started with 3 exercises repeated 3 times. Cathe didn't say they were drop sets so there weren't a whole lot of repetition of each exercise. She didn't use that pattern the whole time fortunately. This wasn't my favorite upper body workout, but it got the job done and I feel it today. Today was #181 Jabs & Kicks. I "think" that's the one manleym mentioned that she liked, and I agree! It was reminiscent of the boxing workout in FitSplit which I really like, so I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Oh, a follow up to the washing machine story. We figured out why the cat hid for so long. He does.not.like.the.new.washing.machine.at.all. We were in the family room yesterday and he starts yelping and meowing and howling up a storm in the kitchen next to the utility room. We thought he might have hurt himself so I went and picked him up and cuddled him and he seemed okay. I put him down and he walks over to the new washer and looks at it and howls and meows at it. Then he moves closer to it and howls and meows at it again. He then went upstairs and didn't come back down until the machine had stopped. We figure he will get used to it eventually but we sure are laughing about it in the meantime. It's much louder than our previous one so that's probably a big part of his issue with it.

Nathalie, I would hang on to your appliances as long as you can! They really don't make things like they used to do.

bee, you are correct that Brenda broke her hip doing an Ironman Triathlon and had to have a hip replacement. It could be that the event was in Wisconsin, but I don't know. I think we are all in Watulan alignment that the woman in the Lives is Brenda's sister. Now a bigger mystery to me is how the heck your dogs broke a fire hydrant!

FN1, did you see the latest update on the ETA of the Cathe bands? Late July to late August! I'm anxiously awaiting these too as I know I'll get use out of them and DH can use the bands too.

horusosiris, glad to see you post! The botanical gardens visit sounds great. We enjoy our visits to our local botanical gardens, which are much more doable in one day, but still pretty large.

VVFer, I don't think you intentionally cause trouble (well, most times ) but there always seem to be several posters that come out of the woodwork to jump in and get combative and belligerent when they don't agree with what has been said. They are the same people every time, and a seemingly innocuous thread goes from 0 to Armageddon in a matter of a few posts. That's not your fault if people can't discuss and disagree in a civilized manner. But, thanks to your latest locked thread I have made valuable use of the "ignore" feature for the very first time. We limit our trouble here to appliances! Oh, and I laughed at your comment about doing an instructor that you thought was older than you are only to find out he was a year younger! That's close enough! It's been years since I have worked out with an instructor older than me. Guess it's a rite of passage when the older instructors retire from presenting publicly and the younger ones takes their places.

FN3, I like the Live Cardio Core workouts better than the DVD, probably because they are "easier." I have done the one you did and the Cardio Core Plateau Buster that I did the other day is also good.

Waves to Kate, FOLV, Kim and Garrie and of course Chele!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 10:44 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Monday!

Today I did Cathe's Fit/Split Pull day and 30 minutes later I did Fit/Split Mixed Cardio

Speaking of appliances- I agree with everyone that the older appliances are much better. We have a Kenmore washer and dryer that is 27 years old and both are still going strong and have never been repaired. We have aGE refrigerator and stove and each one had to be repaired twice and they are only 8 years old. The oven is acting up again but I refuse to get it repaired. I am just using my large counter top oven and/or my air fryer oven for now. I will never buy another GE appliance again.We are not buying new appliances until we decide where we are moving to. Besides from the GE appliances being lousy, the service department is horrible too.

Cataddict - I too like the Live Core Cardio workouts much more than the DVD.

Manelym- many of the trial events highlights are not on YouTube.

We had a quiet 4th of July which is so unusual for us. The whole family plans to get together for an end of summer bash though.

Waves to Chel, Garrie, Kate, FOLV.

Enjoy your day.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 12:06 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

kittybug - I have needed my tinfoil hat several times on VF lately!

cataddict - My Ignore List was mostly empty for years. It is no longer empty. (See comment above.)

nathalie - I decided to wait on the Cathe Boss Bands workouts. They do look really good. I'll await reviews.

Yesterday, I did Debbie Seibers' "Body Dynamix: Restore & Repair" (2016). Another slow, relaxing one. It is mostly floor moves with deep breathing, stretching and mobility exercises. I had to modify a bit as she does a lot of twists.

This morning, after I woke up, I checked the air quality as I always do. Between all the fireworks last night and some local fires, the number was 306 (Hazardous) !

I'm getting flashbacks of last summer when it was like this every day for a couple of months. Needless to say, I didn't open the windows!

Hugs to all!

POSTURE CHECK!

Tags
watulan check-in