Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-21, 09:23 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I haven't subscribed to ETV in some time, but I'm sorry to hear Meg left. She was my favorite. I was always hoping they'd put her workouts on DVD.

I wonder what happened?
I think a lot of circumstances. The world has changed (esp in Canada) and Essentrics is focusing their efforts on streaming. Most of those instructors have careers or jobs as teaching fitness isn't a sustainable income.

Also, jmho, but I think it's unrealistic to expect those young women in their 20's and 30's to devote their entire life to one job or company. Think how many times we have all changed jobs, switched interests, etc.

I know that Meg is "exploring". She has a lot of gifts and talents so it will be interesting to see what she does, or if she returns.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 05:36 AM  
loverly7

Les Mills + (formerly called Les Mills On Demand)—I would give this 4/5. I love it, but I wish they had current releases, and while I enjoy the music they play, I do wish they used the actual songs instead of covers. I love them though and always renew for a year at a time.

Shine Dance Fitness—I would give this a 4/5. They have great music, though I don’t care much for some of their songs. There are two new classes added per week, which is great.

The Fitness Marshall on YouTube (this is a paid streaming subscription)—I would give this 5/5. It always has great music and always makes me laugh.

Obe Fitness—I would give this 4/5. This would rank higher for me if they would use better music for their on demand classes. I know they recently introduced Replay, which allows you to watch their recent live classes, complete with the music, BUT you have to be using a desktop to make it happen. As we no longer have a desktop (we have iPhones, iPads, and amazon Fire TV/sticks), I was very frustrated by that. I hope they are working on expanding their access to replays, as music is VERY important to me in my workouts.

Peloton Digital (the app, not the bike)—I give this a 3/5. On paper, I should love this, but I frankly don’t. I have a free year from my health insurance, and I just started that free year, so my rating may change.

Inner Dimension TV (Travis Eliot yoga)—It might not be a fair rating, but I give it a 3/5. It’s nothing against the app, the instructors, or the content, but I just cannot get into yoga. I just can’t. I want to love yoga, but I don’t.

Udaya Yoga—I would give this a 2/5. Honestly, I’m not a fan, like, at all. While I just don’t care for yoga, despite wanting to love it, I really have been unimpressed with Udaya. I know some people love them, but I’m not one of them. They also don’t have an app at all, so streaming through their website is the only access. It’s a minor thing, but it’s annoying.

Streaming in the past year, but not currently:

Beachbody On Demand—I give this a 3/5. I enjoyed their older stuff, but I could never get into any of their newer offerings. They also don’t offer all of their older stuff (some Turbo Jam workouts were available but others weren’t). Overall, their music wasn’t good and their newer workouts typically didn’t have any music at all. They tried to say it was because they wanted you to be able to listen to whatever you wanted, but it’s really because they were unwilling to license decent music. I was also not a fan of the MLM aspect of it.

Jazzercise On Demand—I give this a 3/5. While I enjoyed the workouts themselves, the music was not good. They clearly weren’t willing to pay for the music licenses to have decent music. They also skyrocketed the cost, so even if I wanted to return at some point in the future, the costs are ridiculous now.

Last edited by loverly7; 11-20-21 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 05:56 AM  
cecififi

I subscribe to:

Cathe on demand - 5/5 - I love all things Cathe and the variety is amazing. I also love her live workouts. I have streamed Cathe since the start and can't see myself ever giving this service up.

I have subscribed to (but no longer):

Millionaire Hoy - 5/5 - He has a lot of variety and is just so endearing

Suzanne Bowen Fitness - 5/5 - again, loved it but grew bored of barre (I need a lot of variety). I loved her holiday themed workouts

Studio Sweat on Demand - 4/5 - I loved the spin classes (developed back issues so cancelled my subscription) but didn't value the other classes as much although they're good too. I loved their holiday themed workouts. Great music!

Les Mill on demand - 3/5 - I don't like the dark sets, the entertainment-like atmosphere of working out, all the same stuff so I got bored

I streamed a pilates studio from australia for 6 mths - it was good but I just didn't do pilates that much
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 12:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Jackie, if Meg ever came out with her own videos I would be on board. Wouldn't it be wonderful if she streamed on YouTube with her own style? I can dream.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 03:02 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecififi View Post
I subscribe to:

Les Mill on demand - 3/5 - I don't like the dark sets, the entertainment-like atmosphere of working out, all the same stuff so I got bored
I posted in another thread how I love the Les Mills Combat DVD set from Beachbody, but don't click with Les Mills on Demand. I think this sums up why. Alternatively to the streaming content, the DVD workouts are much brighter, and there is no "audience" (with the exception of the one Live workout, which I don't do). It's just the instructors and you I did enjoy the one workout with Dan and Rach on On Demand where it's just them on a floating platform.

My own other streaming experiences are fairly limited, as I don't like paying monthly for so many things, but I have tried the following (Disclaimer: I don't like to do any "live" option memberships because my schedule doesn't allow for it and I also prefer the quality of pre-recorded content in most cases. I also don't like Zoom type classes or seeing other participants):

Ellen Barrett - 5/5! I'm still subscribed to this. The price point is great at $5.95/month. You have access to Ellen's DVD workouts as well as her new content. Some workouts and background exercisers I like more than others, but I think this is a great value.

Lastics - 4/5 I like that they offer the different levels of content at very inexpensive prices, or the whole library for $14.99/month. I am bad at remembering to do as much stretching as I need to, so I don't get as much use out of it as I should. The content is mostly what is also available on the 3 DVDs they sell. I think they also have live class option, but I can't say for sure.

Buti TV - 5/5 I LOVE this one!! It's relatively expensive (but you can usually find a special for 30-50% off the subscription depending on what deal they are running) so I don't stay subscribed all the time. I would say I subscribe 6 months out of the year. There is so much content and so many different instructors that I feel like there is a class for everyone. I don't even like yoga!! But I do like Buti's approach to it. The subscription also includes most of their DVD content as well.

Lauren's Playground - 3/5 I respect Lauren's knowledge and the content she puts out. I appreciate her contribution to the kettlebell world. I own all of her DVDs except the pregnancy one. I have purchased several of her online programs (Be SLAM 1 & 2, etc). But, because of everything I own of hers, I don't feel like the subscription was worth the price for me. I don't need or want the community that she offers, so that's also part of it. That's a huge value to a lot of people. Again, since I don't like "live" classes, that's also not something worth paying for to me. I wish I was her audience but I'm not.

Fitscope Studio - 3/5 This appealed to me because it contains workouts specifically for many different types of cardio equipment, including the elliptical. So I didn't have to adapt a treadmill or bike workout to the elliptical. I like the idea of it, but there just wasn't enough of a variety of content to make it worth the price (I think it was under $10/month at first but then increased to $13). They do seem to have added more content recently, so I may check it out again, but I actually think I prefer listening to my own music for equipment cardio workouts versus someone else's playlist.

Beachbody on Demand: 3/5 I don't even know why I have signed up for this in the past. I own almost every Beachbody set on DVD before they stopped making DVDs. I've signed up a couple of times to check out the newer releases, but the only relatively recent one that I liked upon preview was 10 Rounds. The other newer programs are just too many things at once. I prefer straightforward strength and cardio. I get frustrated when multiple moves are combined because I feel like I'm not maximizing my abilities on any of them at that point. I only rated it 3 instead of 2 because there is so much content

Tracy Anderson Studio - 2/5 I really like Tracy's workouts. But the cost of this service is way more than it's worth to me. You only have access to each week's workouts (there are a few categories where there is a catalog of previous workouts, like the dance cardio). While I understand her Method suggests perfecting that week's workout and then moving on to the next one, I don't like having that limitation. I never signed up for the Live option ($40 MORE per month) because I can't commit to the class times, and again, my aversion to live classes in general). But I also feel like the studio workouts I did try during my trial were not different enough from her plethora of DVD offerings. I love Tracy's DVDs and I feel like there is more than enough of that content that I don't need to ever pay $90 more to have just a few more workouts available for a month.

All Out Studio - 4/5 For $14.99 per month, it's a decent amount of content. It's a better value at the annual price, which is $89. It's a large selection of Men's Health, Women's Health and Runner's World programs. If there were some more of their programs available, it would be a 5/5. I have only done one month of this, but plan to go back to it again at some point to do a full program or two. Their programs are more of the type of workouts I prefer - straightforward, no-nonsense stuff
**It actually looks like they're currently offering 50% off the annual subscription, so I might take advantage of that!
Old 11-21-21, 06:44 PM  
anetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I think a lot of circumstances. The world has changed (esp in Canada) and Essentrics is focusing their efforts on streaming. Most of those instructors have careers or jobs as teaching fitness isn't a sustainable income.

Also, jmho, but I think it's unrealistic to expect those young women in their 20's and 30's to devote their entire life to one job or company. Think how many times we have all changed jobs, switched interests, etc.

I know that Meg is "exploring". She has a lot of gifts and talents so it will be interesting to see what she does, or if she returns.
Thank you for the CS update, I had wondered where Meg was. I remember the last time Alexis did a live workout she said she was 5 months pregnant.

And Jackie’s zoom classes are excellent, she is a great instructor.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-21, 03:33 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

It looks like Meg will be doing the live class on Dec 1
Old 11-27-21, 03:47 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Yeah! I've missed her. Glad to see her back.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-21, 06:53 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Best news! i'm glad she'll be back on the schedule.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-21, 07:44 AM  
muddjeansgal

Has anyone tried Alo Moves? I just bought a year subscription.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
streaming reviews, streaming services