Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-19-21, 07:58 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

So I've done another gym day and Caroline Girvan Epic III Day 42 Disrupt Upper Body Tempo. At least I think that was the title. First, I need to apologize to Caroline as I really liked the music! It was instrumental, had a beat, and actually helped motivate me. This is the first Epic III workout I have done---I'd been sampling from Epic, the original. Now I'm hoping that the music is similar in the other Epic III workouts. As for the workout itself, I also really liked it as well! As the title implies, there were tempo changes with holds and pauses throughout the movement. Of course I don't lift as heavy as Caroline, but heavy enough to challenge me. Great stuff!

Chele, good on you for adapting Cathe to make it work for you! So great!!

horusosiris, I forgot about the Grinch stole Christmas---do you mean the original cartoon version? That's the one I like. I agree about the original Miracle on 34th St and Christmas Carol (excluding Mr. Magoo, of course ). I think that for some reason the newer versions don't ring true or believable to me.

We were actually going to put up a Christmas tree this year, but with the crazy cats we would need to put it behind a plexiglass shield. So we are going to put up a garland across the mantel and hang their ornaments on it. Plus we will hang their Christmas stockings with ours.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-21, 11:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey all! Happy Weekend!

I also forgot about the Grinch! Both are favorites in this house -- my kids prefer the full length movie with Jim Carey because that's what they grew up with.

cataddict, sorry to hear about your dishwasher woes! Bummer! I hope you can find one you like -- I've heard a lot of people grumbling about how long it takes to get a new appliance these days. In the meantime, what I do for power outages is hope that I have clean dishes in the dishwasher, and then when I hand wash I then load them into the dishwasher to dry. If the dishes aren't clean then you run the risk of having food in there or whatever. So far it's always worked out in my favor. Just a little trick......

I'm going to try that Upper Body Caroline you mentioned -- probably Sunday.

horusosiris, nice to hear from you! That class you're teaching sounds very interesting -- so much material there these days!

Chele, you are doing great!

Today I did a long hike with a friend. I was a bit nervous about my pain both because it would be longer and more up hill than I'm used to, but honestly.... it felt great the rest of the day! We'll see how it feels tomorrow. Oh, I guess I never posted yesterday -- I ended up doing Strong and Sweaty bootcamp without the cardio. I didn't have a lot of time and I just mostly wanted a total body workout so that's what I went with. I had to modify some of the lower body moves for my pain, but mostly it worked!

Waves to all! I hope those who aren't posting as often are doing well and not too overwhelmed with life. Miss you!!
Old 11-20-21, 04:04 PM  
Mickey12

My husband asked me today, “hey, we have to check when the Christmas light show starts at Stonehedge”. I said ChelePA said it’s this week. I think we’re going to make sure we see them this year.

ChelePA it seems like you went from just being able to walk to doing full length dvd workouts. How are you doing? Are you still having a lot of pain and stiffness? It’s so great to see you posting about workouts. I hope you’re enjoying your progress.

Bee I hope you’re still pain free after your hike.

Cataddict we only have a tabletop Christmas tree and we have it in a room with a door. That way, when we’re not home we close the door and the tree is safe from overactive cats. It’s a good solution for us.
Old 11-20-21, 05:36 PM  
ChelePA

Kim… The light show has officially started. You won’t regret going. As for rehab- The first month was rough trying to start to bear weight. The antigravity treadmill definitely helped make slow progress. As I do more, unfortunately I get pain in all different areas. Still lots of pain and numbness in my leg below the knee that is just present all the time. Certain moves and stretches increases it. Same for my hip and ankle. So it’s a fine balance of when to push myself and when to take it easier. Because the pain is always going to be there. It just shouldn’t be unbearable pain if you know what I mean. They said it could take 1 to 2 years for the pain and numbness to go away where I was injured and the surgical site. Most people don’t want to hear me complain about it anymore. Well that’s the feeling I get. They want to hear just the positive. I think even my family sometimes forgets the daily struggle. Then something will remind them. Occasionally my husband will wake up in the middle of the night and ask what are you doing. I’m usually in too much pain and trying to stretch or move around. And it hits him again. There are many times he sends me these really long texts out of the blue saying how proud he is of me and how far I’ve come, etc. I think he feels guilty at work —how I’m home alone now taking care of so many things so the burden isn’t all on him after a very long day. My daughter gets sad knowing how restricted I am compared to how active I was in the past. She has definitely been my cheerleader which is rare for her because she gets almost embarrassed when she shows too much emotion. She’s already trying to come up with Christmas presents to help me continue with my exercise program.
Probably a lot more than you wanted to know. Ha ha.

Horosusiris…. that class sounds fascinating. It definitely would be something my daughter would love.

Today I did a 30 minute cycling pop music class. Then I did about 25 minutes of chair cardio and stretching.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 09:54 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Chele, {{hugs}} to you. You go ahead and tell us your struggles. I think that people in our life sometimes get frustrated because there is absolutely nothing they can do to help make it better. They still care, but just don't know what to do. I know I can't imagine what it must be like to feel the pain you do and that it won't be gone for awhile. You are strong to do what you can, and strong when you can't do it and just want to curl up in a ball and get away from it.

bee, hope it is well after your hike.

Kim, I like your tabletop Christmas tree idea. We don't really have a room that we can close off that would be a good place for a tree. Maybe next year, when the kitten is full grown and maybe calmer.

Today was Caroline Girvan Epic III Complexes Day 4 Total Body Dumbbells. I did her Epic III warmup and the iHeart music was in full play. The workout itself had similar instrumental music to the other Epic III and I needed it. This was a toughy for me! It was divided into 3 minute segments, 2 exercises each with 30 seconds rest in between the segments. Ten reps of each exercise were to be alternated until the three minutes passed. Of course I didn't go as heavy as Caroline, but it was still hard and I rested A LOT during the last grouping. It was different and challenging. I could pretty much use the same weight for both exercises as Caroline intended except for chest presses and skull crushers! I started with 20 pounds for chest presses but no way would I use 20s for skull crushers or they would definitely live up to their name! Anyway I would do this workout again.

Waves to all! Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 12:14 AM  
ChelePA

Thanks Cataddict. You’re probably right. Sometimes people don’t know what to do or say. Lucky my husband is such a good listener.
Old 11-21-21, 09:28 AM  
ChelePA

I was definitely having a moment last night. Sorry to go on and on. I was talking to a good friend that I hadn’t spoken to in probably a month or so and she didn’t ask once how I was doing. The conversation mostly centered on how tough things are for her working long hours etc. I think you ladies got the brunt of my sadness on that one. Thanks for “listening”.
Old 11-21-21, 10:39 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
I was definitely having a moment last night. Sorry to go on and on. I was talking to a good friend that I hadn’t spoken to in probably a month or so and she didn’t ask once how I was doing. The conversation mostly centered on how tough things are for her working long hours etc. I think you ladies got the brunt of my sadness on that one. Sorry!!! Thanks for “listening”.
Chele, we're always here for you. Don't hesitate to talk about your feelings as often as you want. We're here to help each other in good and tough times, for as long as it takes!
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 11:01 AM  
lavna

Hi everyone,

I know I've been kind of missing these days. But, I've been reading your posts every day. Things are quite busy at work these days and I've had to put in extra time in the evenings and during the weekends (but it works so well because there aren't new emails and Teams' calls to interrupt!). Also, the change of time for tough for me this year as it coincided with the rush at work. With all of this, I was so tired that I didn't have the energy to sit again in front of a computer and make the mental effort of translating what I wanted to say!

This have been easier this week: a little less intense at work and my internal clock is back in synch! Work should be busy till Christmas. I'm planning of taking a few weeks off at the beginning of the year, making up for those vacations I wasn't able to take last summer.

My ankle is better but it's still stiff. Funny also how some days I'm doing great on my balance exercises but the next day, it's a mess! With work being so busy, I had a harder time being regular with my PT but I know I have to keep it up if I ever want to get back to normal. I also try and walk more because at the moment, I have little endurance.

I've been trying to keep up with my workouts. At the moment, I'm alternating between UB and LB workouts. I haven't started cardio yet. But I will have to start again soon: the other day, I did ICE Metabolic TB and, oh boy, was I out of breath! Maybe I will try some short Low impact workouts to start.

I've read how you're all getting ready for Thanksgiving. I hadn't realized that it's next Thursday. I hope you all have a great time. Here, we celebrate more at Christmas than at Thanksgiving. We don't know yet what we will do but my niece told my brother that she wants to celebrate at my parents' house as we usually do (they stay in Laval) and she's even said she will prepare everything if my mom isn't up to it. I think it's so sweet she's so attached to our family tradition!

That's all for now! I was my turn to have a Moby Dick post. I hope I won't have an error! Take care!
Hugs to all!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 11:01 AM  
ChelePA

Thanks Nathalie. It really means so much. I hope your recovery is going well.

Today I did a club mix cycling class since I can’t do Kat’s step routine that was recently released with similar music. I tried some Cathe core work with major modifications. My decreased range of motion and strength in my leg, neck and spine area makes many moves impossible right now. 20 minutes of icing afterwards.

Happy Sunday! Enjoy!

Tags
watulan check-in