Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-12-21, 08:56 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! I took today off to piggy back Veterans Day and get some rest. Yesterday was R&R mode, featuring an acupuncture session and:

~ 25 minute walk around neighborhood
~ YWK Yoga for Flexibility - Deep Stretch
~ 4,875 steps

The new Kassandra was nice, a hatha/yin blend. A couple of down dogs but not vinyasa based at all, though you could incorporate a cobra vinyasa here and there if you like that.

Cyana your breath work sounds wonderful - but like hard work. Good job! I've seen some fun Mick pics recently too, he was at a hiking trail or lake recently. Enjoy smelling your JSPs!

Sandra, oh no! And you've just gotten over some other things. I hope you feel better soon. What are you thinking of for a recovery routine?

Margot, coming home muddy sounds pretty hard core. That Bellyfit routine sounds good for restorative days.

Waves to Paine and all who follow.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 11:19 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Fitness Becomes You (Volume 2 Program C: lower body workout) and (Volume 1 Program C: Upper Body workout)

I had a good workout with Margaret this morning. It's going to be a beautiful sunny 84 degrees here today! I love our weather.

Cyana, Foxes and Fossils are wonderful! They sound just like Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young! I love all the music clips you shared--thank you so much.
Oh that's funny about Mick Jagger posting pictures of himself in different areas of Atlanta, haha!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 12:49 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I really need to get better at posting on my check in. Because I want to. I have missed doing anything on a few random days since the last time I posted. I don't obsessively keep track of my workouts any more. I found it worked against my consistency due to the little bump up in stress. I do have spots in my greatly simplified version of a bullet journal where I note any organized activity and meditations. Having a space waiting for me to write something does nudge me to do something, but mostly it's abbreviated notes so I can tell which section of a video I did last. And, on my sister's example, I think the next time the battery dies in the screen for my stationary bike I won't replace it. I always use a scenic video so I know the time I've gone and really only look at my speeds and miles on the bike. But sometimes the miles become a challenge that really isn't needed. I do have a simple pedometer I keep in my pocket but that I still find useful and not stressful. I follow the latest research for a minimum of 4400 steps and a goal of 7000. Not too hard but sometime I need a prompt. Our house is one level and long so I can get a decent number of steps just going about my ADLs.

So, yesterday I did a dog walk (we're up to 1 mile round trip and she averages a bit faster than my usual speed), my yoga routine, a bedtime stretch of a few moves held longer, and about 10 minutes of meditation in bed before I started dozing off. 7157 steps

The day before (Wednesday) a dog walk, bedtime stretch and meditation. 5990 steps (obviously lost track)
Tuesday bedtime stretch with long holds and meditation. 4370 steps (ditto)
Monday a dog walk, a 25ish minute bike session at a faster pace than usual, bedtime stretch and meditation. 6672 steps plus bike
Sunday was a dog walk, a session from Lee Holden's 30-Day, 7-minute Challenge, a 20ish minute bike session, a stretch in bed and meditation. 6683 steps plus bike
Saturday a dog walk, bedtime stretch and meditation. 4361 steps (again with the not paying attention and just missing a goal)

It had been long enough since I last did my yoga routine that I could tell it had been too long.

Back shortly for a bit of chat.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 01:09 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I won't take time right now and go back to figure out all of the witty and brilliant personals I thought of as I read posts.

Twigs, when did you live in Seattle? I'm wondering if we overlapped. It is a big and populous area. I found out a couple of years ago that a woman I knew from here, the town where I spent most of my childhood and where my sisters and Mom live, too, lived in Seattle for several years while I was there. But in a different part of the city so we never bumped in to each other.

Sandra, so sorry to hear about the knee. Do you have any arthritis? I'm finding the arthritis in my knees often causes symptoms very like an injury. Definitely a pain, both literal and figurative.

Beth, I do pay attention to organic, sustainable, etc. Companies I order from include
Coyuchi - Linens including towels, sheets, blankets, etc. They have a program where they use wool from meat sheep for things like blankets and comforter fillings rather than have it become garbage. Lot's of Fair Trade and sustainable practices and they are not that far from me.
Savvy Rest - Employee owned producer of organic latex mattresses and other bed-related products. Our dog loves their dog beds
Badger - personal care products from Oregon. Where I get most of mine. They include a lip balm in every order. Fairly easy for me to get to free shipping and they send emails about sales and specials often.
Suzi's Lavender - I like their hand sanitizer and healing salve. About to order hand lotion.
Renee's Garden - Mostly seeds with a few small tools and such. They have lovely packets with watercolors of the plant and things like cans of flower seeds to scatter. I order organic seeds but even their non-organic are nonGMO and sustainably raised. Renee still owns the company.

Need to stop now for a dog walk. Hi to everyone. Hopefully I'll manage more personals later but I'm in prep mode for DH's procedure next week. Mom is in recovery mode. Still wears out easily but feels well enough to be frustrated by that and bored at times. No new cases at her facility last week.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 01:20 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

KarenJo, post whenever you are able! We love to hear from you but there is no pressure to post frequently or to write personals.

I have a 5.5" x 8.5" Daily Planner that I use to keep track of my workouts. I'll put a star next to the workouts that felt great or I'll write "meh" if I didn't like it or get value from it. I also write down if I get DOMS from the workout. That way as I look back I can find workouts I want to repeat or look for what area of focus on my body that I want to target.
I wish our house was one level. I'll often find myself cursing as I walk up the stairs to our bedroom. It makes me wonder how long I'll be able to walk up the stairs if I live into my 80's and beyond.
I have not heard of Coyuchi or Savvy Rest--I will check them out.
I wish your DH a successful procedure!
Old 11-12-21, 09:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Karen Jo, nice to see you! I agree with Paine, post whenever/however you want. I posted upthread that I might not continue to post my workouts every week - I think we all need to decide where to put our energies, and you've got plenty going on with your mom and DH. Thanks for all the suggestions (both for companies and books on the other thread).

Paine, our house is one level, but my workout room is a finished room in the basement. I hope that I'll keep being able to go up and down as long as possible!

cyana, I hope you are able to keep your pledge to yourself not to work this weekend!!! Wow, pretty incredible with the breathwork. Since I still struggle to do daily meditation, I wonder if I would do better with a daily pranayama practice?

Margot, I actually just did a Jessica Valent routine yesterday. That's cool that you were able to do a routine just from memory.

Sandra, so sorry you are still struggling with your knee.

So, no workout for me today - I had to stay late at work to deal with a crisis situation. I got home over an hour late, and I still had to go grocery shopping, so I figured I could let go of a workout for tonight, especially since I'm already over 300 workout days for the year.

Yesterday, however, I decided to film a short new YouTube routine that I had preset to post this afternoon. Ironically - or maybe fittingly? - it's called "Letting Go of the Day."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNH-YH8tew

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 12:17 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

YouTube: Beth's LETTING GO OF THE DAY | Yoga to Unwind | Restorative Yoga

Well, I wasn't in the mood to exercise this morning but I saw Beth's unwind yoga and did that which was really nice and relaxing--thank you Beth!

I'll be doing food prep and housework today. Later on DS1 is stopping by for a visit.
Old 11-13-21, 12:24 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi all! Nothing formal here. We had a surprisingly intense nor'easter so we stayed in all day. It was perfect for napping so I took full advantage. In the afternoon I tackled DS's flat for a few hours. It's technically an attic and is so dusty and cobwebby, I feel like Lily Munster up there.

Hi KarenJo, nice to see you! Like Paine said, post when you are able. Nobody here will be offended by the lack of a personal. I also stopped planning and tracking workouts, except for in my check-ins. Working out has become fun again.

Beth, I'm looking forward to your Letting Go of the Day routine, thank you!

Paine, enjoy your visit!

Waves to all.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 02:51 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

You all probably know where my mind was with the "Letting Go of the Day" practice. It makes me feel good to know that some of you will enjoy it!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 10:53 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

No workout for me on Friday as it is my usual rest day due to my schedule.

Today's Workout: The Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3.

Re my knee, it is mainly annoying more than anything. I did have my knees x-rayed several years ago, which showed arthritis behind the kneecaps. Maybe that has increased by now. My doctor says it will be up to me to let him know when I want/need treatment for my knees. We'll see how they feel by my check-up next spring. Luckily it doesn't keep me from anything. Squats (either on the job or in workouts) seem to aggravate it, so I think I'll keep to floor work and some CS/Essentrics.

Speaking of Classical Stretch, I saw on Facebook that CS Season 14 is coming out "very soon" on DVD and streaming. I'll probably cave!

KarenJo: Please feel free to post in a way that works for you! Some of us post daily, but others pop in here and there as their own circumstances permit. It's all good -- we always love to hear from Barefooters!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote