Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-21, 12:53 PM  
Vantreesta

Wed 7/14 131 minutes
16 minutes (from J. Smith Walk On 15-Minute Fast Fat Blasts -Fast Fat Burn) 1st time
15 minutes (from C. Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout, YT)
14 minutes (from 1.257 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 66, treadmill)
9 minutes (from H. Clare Run Better With Yoga -Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, YT)
7 minutes (from L. Brooks Summer Swing Challenge day 7) finally finished!
10 minutes (from PunchLab wk1 wo1 Jab & Straight) third time's a charm? program restarted again
20 minutes (from Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice)
40 minutes (from 2 dog walks 2.64 mi)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 11:14 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Daphne, your vacation sounds amazing! I've wanted to go to Yellowstone for a while. I'd take any National Park at this point though. Don't feel too bad--we did a hike in GA which had an elevation gain of almost 1000 feet and I was gasping for air too.

Alison, how long is the neighborhood pool? I haven't gone to ours at all since we built ours. I'd love to go do laps but the lap pools are all far and/or hours aren't great.

Vantreesta, it was SO hot here quite early. This week I think 100 is supposed to be the highest! We're finally getting rain.

We went to Atlanta the week of July 10. Visited my dad and grandma and my brother was there too. It was kind of rough--that house is so bad for two elderly people with granite floors everywhere, steep stairs, only one bedroom (my grandma's) on the main level, and SO MUCH CLUTTER. My dad won't get rid of anything and he has the craziest reasons why. It was a decent vacation--rained quite a bit but we still got out.

BUT we didn't get to paddle again because DH decided to take a ride on a kid's scooter while wearing his sandals. Ended up somehow ripping off his sandal and a couple of toenails. His foot is still swollen and pretty sore. We made it to the aquarium the day before and my brother went to Amicalola Falls with his the day after.

I also got to see Gail! We had breakfast one morning.

I pretty much ate continuously there and put on a few pounds. Not sure exactly how I'll get rid of it but the kids started school today so our schedules will be hectic and maybe that will help!

I don't have much of a workout plan right now. I actually got in two nice runs in ATL with some Moms Run This Town ladies, plus the hike and some weight work. I've been using my bike and rower.

I do want to start running twice a week. When we first got back, I just couldn't deal with the heat! it was about 110 and in ATL only in the 80s. But it rained all this week and it's been really nice.

I have some DVD sets I've been meaning to try, so I may do those along with runs, rows, and rides. We shall see!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 11:35 AM  
Vantreesta

Mon 7/26
6 minutes (from SanFran Fitness rebounding 5 min Mini Moves Series Day 8 Fun Cardio Moves, YT) 1st time
10 minutes (from E. Welsh The Firm The Wave Ride the Wave) 1st time
22 minutes (from Crossrope Swing Into Summer day 12)
10 minutes (from L. Carvalho Brazil Butt Lift Maximum Results Abs Rapido) 1st time
14 minutes (from Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 11 Evening Yoga Stretches Full Body Flexibility, YT) 1st time
33 minutes (from 3.03 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 78)
29 minutes (from M. Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice from memory + extra)

I am so over all this heat and sunshine. I've done well keeping with the running this summer despite it but we haven't been walking much bc Cyric hates the heat even more than I do and it's not like there's a good way to know if he is really too hot or just doesn't wanna. But my mental health needs longer walks and nicer weather and he has been pretty blah and lethargic.

I didn't track goals and habits for this month and have started feeling lost so I'm ready to get back at it next month. I think I did need the little break from it but ready to move on. I've been wasting too much time online and still not even posting! I can't seem to get my head around actually replying to posts.

Last night's 3 mile run was rough. It was still 79 degrees at 8:30 and humidity was 70% so real feel was 82 and there wasn't much breeze. I apparently overstretched my hamstrings in triangle pose earlier in the day (even though I did use a block) so btwn that and the longer run I'm kind of hurting today, plus I don't think I did rehab stuff at all last week. Gotta get back on that today.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-29-21, 11:00 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: Yay on meeting Gail! I was supposed to see her last year in Atlanta, but that was the first of several trips I had cancelled. I bet your daughter is loving the Olympics! The pool is 25 meters. I’ve cut a little bit of time off my 1000 meters over the past few weeks—maybe it’s Olympics inspired.

Vantreesta: I feel you on the heat! I’m struggling with it big time too.

Me: I’m doing ok with fitness, swimming, Peloton rides, TM or outside runs, and strength.

Life is throwing a bunch of curveballs though. I’m going to the beach soon, so I really hope I can relax.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 07:40 PM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday hubby and I went to another Ren Fest and had a good day. Today I went back with our friend and her kids. A different but still fun day. I don't get to spend a lot of time with the kids bc get togethers are usually adult events. I am exhausted! Yesterday we got up at 5:50. Today I overslept till 6:30 so didn't have enough time to really choose an outfit and get ready so I wore normal clothes. Plus I slightly sunburned my chest yesterday and didn't feel like exposing it to the sun again so soon.

Last week was kind of a bust with workouts. I had to take some time to rest my calf but then I just wasn't feeling like working out. I did enough to meet my minutes but nothing too hard. I need to set out my plan for this week. Tmrw will be my virtual 5k, which I admit I'm not looking forward to after not running since last Monday.

Old 08-02-21, 10:42 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, we can't watch the Olympics live, only replays, but yes, DD is definitely enjoying it! We watched some other events too--track and field, pole vault, taekwondo--to inspire my kids. Sorry to hear about the curveballs. Which beach are you going to and when? Does the swimming help relax you? I know it's quite a workout, but I always found it relaxing to be in the water. I haven't been able to swim laps this year, other than one at a city pool in March and very short ones in our pool at home (it's about 11 yards long).

Vantreesta, I'm glad to hear the Ren Fest is back! Was it more crowded than usual? What's going on with your calf? I started running more and it seems like my calves are perpetually tight now.

Last week seemed SO long! The kids starting school plus all their taekwondo and gymnastics practices made for a rough week. I mean, it went smoothly but I felt like i was perpetually trying to remember where I had to go next. I think we have all the driving worked out. DD is able to take the bus to school from a stop right near DS's school (where I still have to drop him off). Because she gets out one period/hour early, we have to pick her up but that means no crowds and we get back to DS's school in time to pick him up.

DS moved up a belt level in TKD so now his classes are all really late. Tonight's is at 5:45 PM and is the earliest during the week. If he goes Saturday it's at 11:45 with sparring right after, but I don't think he's going to always go to Saturday or sparring, so that means a 6:20 Wed. or 7 PM Friday class. Blech!

I am still trying to sort out my workout life. I thought I'd do a DVD series but then decided I needed to do my old Lindsay Brin PF Weight Loss lower body workout because it's great for running shape (lots of unilateral work). So I guess I'll plan out something with that once a week and hopefully 3 runs. I'm still doing walk/run and it seems SO hard but then again it's in the high 80s and very humid even at 5 AM.

Waves to Daphne, Cleda, and any other lurkers!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 08-11-21, 05:38 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all! Feels like it's been a hectic week somehow. We had a nice weekend--went paddleboarding Sunday with some other families and it was a nice change. I think that made it feel like we didn't really get a break though, you know?

It's been a rough week somehow. DS brought home a "red card" yesterday. It's basically letting parents know their kid is misbehaving in school. He's being disrespectful and while I think they're overreacting just a little, it does fit his usual back-to-school pattern. Today he's fussing about going to taekwondo even though I told him his new schedule would be every Monday and then alternating Wed. and Sat.

DD's schedule is exhausting. She seems to enjoy it but it feels like so much go go go to me! There's something going on at her gym--her coach left, another was hired, and then after a few weeks moved to coach a different group. Then there were several subs and another hired. She's been there about 2 weeks and seems to mostly stand around. She doesn't talk to the girls or give suggestions on form or anything. I emailed the head coach and so far no reply.

It's irritating! Part of me wishes they did nothing so I'd have less to do! Oh well.

I started using the Define and Align DVD set I got on Prime Day. I'm also sticking with my 3 runs per week even if they're short. So far the set seems like it will work well. Workouts are 30 minutes so easy to combine two or just fit one in if I'm short on time. It's billed as a barre set but the upper body workout was pretty much just traditional weight lifting and you could easily go really heavy or really light. I'm hoping to follow the calendar for at least a month (it goes for 90 days) and simplify that part of life!

The short workouts also let me row or spin if I want.

Also, the gym I joined back in June should open soon (they said end of August and I think now "fall 2021") so I'll have a treadmill and elliptical option. It's been raining a lot here! I don't mind a drizzle, but we've been getting downpours and lots of lightning.

Old 08-13-21, 01:35 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys! Still around and working out, just haven't felt like posting, I guess. Not sure totally why, although I think some of it may be bc I have a whole list of things every time I workout!

Feeling lazy and aimless lately. I need to get a plan together and get back on track. I did so much better in May and June!

Old 08-14-21, 10:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Got my new run schedule so I'm feeling a little more excited now that I can plan out the next 10 weeks! The base training plan had me doing short runs 4 days a week and the actual race training plan has 3 days a week, which is what I generally aimed for before I started using this app so I'm happy about that. Hoping it will help me not try to pack so much into a day!

Old 08-17-21, 12:16 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Hi Everyone!

Pratima: We went to Southern Shores, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I couldn’t get away from all the home problems, so I never really got to relax at the beach. Plus the weather wasn’t great. I enjoyed some time on the sand, but it wasn’t the week I needed. Yes, I do find swimming relaxing even when it’s hard work. Unfortunately the lap swim is over for the year with school starting next week. I can go to the rec center for I think $8 or $10 a session, but that isn’t as convenient. I hear you on the kids’ activities! It can be overwhelming, and the drama seeps into your life no matter how hard you try to keep it out. Dance was particularly bad, but soccer sometimes is too. DD is in the oldest group now for soccer, so her practices are really late—one night they don’t START until 9:00 a half hour away. I’m glad she can drive herself since that’s my bedtime, but that makes me nervous too. This new team she’s on has a far more intense schedule than her old one. I’m so glad it’s just one year.

I have not been working out. At all. I did get to try an actual Peloton bike on our recent college visit road trip, but I didn’t have my shoes, and those pedals are REALLY hard to use without bike shoes. I determined I overestimate my resistance by about 10, so I need to focus on that a bit whenever I get my act together again. I walked a lot as we toured 4 universities in 4 days, plus I walked around Boston a lot. But I also ate like a queen

Stress has been my big issue. Our basement flooded and we needed a new under-the-house pipe. One of our cars was hit while not moving and it was bad enough that it was totaled (no one hurt) and I am still dealing with the many issues there. Megan has been in urgent care twice with injuries—again nothing major but still enough to seek care. DH may or may not have had COVID. He tested negative (twice), but he’s convinced he had it. We’re all Vaxed, but he was around a vaxed person who tested positive, and he had symptoms that still are lingering. The rest of us have been symptom-free. And the cat is sick again.

Thankfully I’m still 100 percent working from home, and that doesn’t look like it’ll change anytime soon. They had said they’d move into the next phase after Labor Day, but now it looks no earlier than November.

After work today, I plan to make my new fitness plan. I’m supposed to ride a century in October, so I need to get the miles going
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote