Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-22, 09:44 AM  
bubbles76

Hula Hooping

I'm looking for some new to me no/low impact cardio that will still make you sweat. Does hula hooping fit the bill? Would I need a weighted hoop?

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-22, 09:52 AM  
BunnyHop

From what I remember, hula hooping is harder than it seems.

Also, I bought a weighted hoop for fitness some years back and wound up not getting much use out of it because it required so much space to use. My fitness collection is all about working inside, at home, to avoid summer heat, so it wasn't a good choice for me.

I'd advise finding a fairly cheap one, of whatever variety, just to see if it's something that works well for your workout style.
Old 03-21-22, 10:46 AM  
Vantreesta

I have a weighted hoop and I can't say I love it. Maybe I just need to use it more. But I remember feeling bruised after using it even though I don't remember seeing bruises. I'm actually wanting to buy a cheap one at Walmart to see if I'll use it more. I always loved it as a kid and I need more fun in my life!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-22, 12:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i suggest getting an unweighted one, like the ones they use in Hoopnotica. the circumference for Hoopnotica-style hoops is larger than the weighted one that I have.

i have a weighted one that I bought from Walmart (brick and mortar from sporting goods section), and my ribs got some minor bruises after my first session. does one need to build some sort of tolerance? perhaps.

link to sizing guidelines:
https://www.hoopempire.com/blogs/hoo...a-hoop-for-you

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-22, 07:36 PM  
bubbles76

Okay, so no weighted hula hoops lol! Is it a good sweat? I'm not looking for Cathe intensity. Just something fun, low impact, and preferably helps tighten up the midsection.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-22, 08:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

it's really funny because i was telling some friends at work, all >50YO, that when i was 10YO i could hula hoop until the cows came home. when my kids were younger, we had maybe 1 hula hoop in the house - the kind you buy from the toy section.

i could not keep the darn thing up! so either i was doing it too slow, it was the wrong size, or i was a hoop-wuss, or what... i don't know.

i saw a Hoopnotica-style hoop in a thrift store and i was so tempted to buy it, but i had already purchased the weighted one. if you lived near me, i would give you my weighted one.

in a previous thread (see tags), someone said they lost weight and strengthened their core. they said just trying new moves was enough to get them sweating.

maybe try a kiddie one first? watch youtube videos for tips?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 03-21-22, 08:37 PM  
Vantreesta

I don't remember working up a sweat with the weighted hoop. But if I remember right unweighted ones can be twirled faster, so maybe that would do it?

You have me wanting to hula hoop now!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-22, 10:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Bzar, yes you need to build to it. I have an Acu Hoop weighted hoop 3lb, the box says you need to start with no more than 3 minutes the first few weeks, then build to 5 min. And I think it says to do no more than 10-15 min. at a time. I don't get bruises if I start slowly and gradually, but doing too much, after no doing it at all, does hurt.

Bubbles, I don't use my weighted hoop as much as I expected, I have had it for more than 10 years now, I finally found a DVD by the same company a little while ago, and it is nice, but there is little hooping, maybe 10 min. or so, the rest of the 50 min. uses it as prop for other exercises, even as a balance bean. I think an adult unweighted hoop would be more fun, I can do stuff with the hoop like passing it from my waist to my neck, then to my hand over my head and bring back down to my waist, knees, until my ankles, then go up again to my waist. It is fun! But, there is no way to do that with a weighted one. And kids hoop are too small, I sometimes use my DD hoop and you need to do it way faster to keep it up. And for the workout itself, it is definitely low impact, and the intensity vary for how long you do it, or do some movements while hooping like squating, walking back and forth, hand movements, etc.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-22, 02:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Bzar, yes you need to build to it. I have an Acu Hoop weighted hoop 3lb, the box says you need to start with no more than 3 minutes the first few weeks, then build to 5 min. And I think it says to do no more than 10-15 min. at a time. I don't get bruises if I start slowly and gradually, but doing too much, after no doing it at all, does hurt.
good to know - i think in my case, because i didn't have the technique down, my flailing about and trying to keep it up around my waist probably caused more unnecessary bumping on my ribs! kinda like golf - if you can't shoot accurately, you get unnecessarily tired and sore by trying to compensate.

i'll incorporate what you suggested!

Old 03-22-22, 08:47 AM  
Rhonda

I have both a weighted one and unweighted. I was using them consistently for a while, like 5-10 minutes while the workout was doing abs on the floor I would pull out my hoop.

I can't do any of that fancy stuff, just stand and keep it at waist. I actually did see bruises but I was using the weighted hoop for all that time and didn't gradually go up.

It was fun, not sure why I stopped. I use the hoops in my workout space, so unless you have a very small space, I would say the hoops would work in the house. Then again I am not twirling, or moving it other than my waist. I don't get sweaty and I don't think I did it long enough to see any results.

I should start doing it again during the ab sections of workouts.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hooping, hoopnotica, hula hoop