Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-22, 04:49 PM  
horusosiris

Chel- here are some in addition to the ones I listed above - X-train-Bonus Barre section, STS- Disc 3- Legs, STS- Disc 6, STS Disc 9, STS - Disc 14, Disc 17, Disc 20, Disc 23 all have standing calf exercises.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 06:52 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
Chel- here are some in addition to the ones I listed above - X-train-Bonus Barre section, STS- Disc 3- Legs, STS- Disc 6, STS Disc 9, STS - Disc 14, Disc 17, Disc 20, Disc 23 all have has standing calf exercises.
Thanks for the info. Love this group!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 11:26 AM  
ChelePA

This morning was cycling and yoga. There was a class on peloton called reset. Half hour of cycling then 20 minutes of yoga flow. Really talked about beginning again and at any point in your life how that can happen. Also about having a beginner’s mindset and all the possibilities for the future. That sometimes people think you can’t make progress or that you’re stuck or at your limit. It was much better than what I’m explaining. Ha ha. I then added Kassandra‘s yoga challenge on. The focus was on flexibility. She did many of the same poses that I did in the peloton class. Her meditation for today was I adapt to change easily and effortlessly. Another good one for me to work on.

Looks like crazy weather is headed our way. Anyone else getting the storms?
Old 01-14-22, 03:03 PM  
manleym

ChelePA, I'm right there with ya on drinking tea through a straw. In the past 7ish years my teeth have started staining so badly. Of course I don't help any with drinking tea all day, red wine, blueberries, etc. So I've started drinking tea and water through a straw to help minimize staining. I don't drink my morning hot tea through a straw but I do rinse afterwards. I've heard it's not that bad, but the thought of drinking a hot liquid through a straw just seems weird. No judgement though if you drink hot liquids through a straw. So glad it was just staining and not a crack. Sounds like you've gotten some really good recommendations for Cathe's calf raises/barre. I didn't see KickMax listed, but know there's a bonus standing leg section on it. IIRC, there are some calf raises. Sounds like both workouts today were exactly what you needed. I like the encouragement given. It makes it more than just a workout. We're not getting snow but temps are going to drop drastically and it's going to be cold. For us. Not for all ya'll who will get into the below 0 temps. Want no part of that.....

Horusosiris school is crazy. Now the district has asked special population teachers (dyslexia, etc) to cancel classes 1-2 days per week until further notice so they can sub for teachers who are out sick. There aren't enough subs and alot of teachers are out sick and have been for at least a week. Thankfully I haven't been asked. I'm a special pops teacher too (gifted). My dyslexia teacher friend had to sub 2 days this week. Not fair to her kids that need servicing.

Cataddict, you asked if I had done any of Chris Dorner's workouts and I forgot to reply. So I am now. Ha! I've done a handful of her workouts. It was weird adjusting to her interacting with her Live audience. I have to be ready for it mentally otherwise it throws me off. I started a step workout last week and just couldn't do it. She was outside with a live class but when she stopped to fiddle around or encourage, or whatever, I had trouble keeping up with the class. They all seemed off. Like any other instructor, it depends on my mood and the workout.

Workouts:
Wednesday - MrandMrsMuscle 5 Minute Warm Up Workout: Upper Body Routine - Improve Mobility + Caroline Brawny Back and Biceps Workout + Abs & Core EPIC Endgame Day 8. This was another great UB workout but I did get tired of the of the staple move - renegade row on toes. But I feel that way about that move no matter what workout. It's a great move and works every muscle. I just don't like doing it 5-6 times. Ha! There are abs at the end of this workout, and I added her 12 Minute Dumbbell Deadbug Ab Workout at Home. I really liked this one because it's very functional - all of the different variations of deadbug. I finished with Daniela Suarez 7 Min Stretching After Workout Neck, Shoulders, Arms & Back Cool Down For Recovery & Relaxation.

Thursday - CL # 378 Warrior Kickboxing 2. This was a great cardio workout but didn't seem as "fun" as some of her other KB workouts. Could have been my mood. There didn't seem to be as much lower body work, but it was worth doing and I got a great cardio workout. There were lots of UB moves, some front/back kicks, and some cardio blasts, core at the end. So I guess the cardio blasts counts for legs, but not as much kicking in this one, or so it seemed to me.

Stay warm and dry everyone! Hugs!!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 07:21 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Here's what I've done. CL #296 Touch Up Training: Upper body. Probably not a great idea since it used a stability ball and that can be stressful on my glutes/hip. It was in the description, I just missed it. I've also done a lot of walking.

Yesterday DH and I spent time with the grandchildren and I was enticed into playing basketball, some football, and went on the trampoline. Fun and a little crazy! I haven't done any of them in years, and DH couldn't watch me on the trampoline as he insisted that I was gonna break something and make my sciatica/piriformis worse. Today I didn't feel any worse than I did before and I had a good time and so did the kids. Youngest guy said "I didn't think you would be good" when we were playing basketball. HAH!

Sad news. My stepdaughter lost her mom yesterday (she was at the hospital while we were playing with the kids---they had no idea how seriously ill their grandmother was). She had moved in with her last summer as she was battling cancer and a recent scan showed it had spread to the lungs and liver. Still, it was sooner than expected and it was made worse as it was also the stepdaughter's birthday. She really wasn't and isn't prepared for sorting through the practical issues along with her grief. We are trying to help as much as we can, but there is only so much we can do. She's an only child, so no siblings to lean on.

manleym, I know what you mean about Chris' interaction with participants as sometimes distracting. I haven't done the outside workout that you mentioned, but what you described to me would bother me as well. And of course now I'm curious about that workout. I did "Joni O" (in a virtual sense ) one of hers the other day. I guess she's one to be done on occasion rather than every day.

Kate, are you finding the early Cathe Lives are harder than the later ones? That's my thought. Still waiting for you to try Caroline G. Whatever weight you used I'm sure it will be more than I could handle.

Chele, you've gotten great recommendations for calf work so I can't really add more. I also like the concept of a "reset" and it's so true that at various times we may need to dial it back or start over entirely. I'm feeling that lately and I know darn well you are!

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 08:20 PM  
Mickey12

Manley there are so many instructors you've mentioned in your recent workouts that I've never even heard of. It's just amazing the amount of content on Youtube. I remember the times when all had were Collage Video catalogs, some exercise shows on TV (with appropriate fitness-related commercials) and this forum as our only sources of new workouts. Back then, it was pretty hard to stump me on a workout instructor - I knew them all.

Cataddict I really enjoyed your description of playing with the kids. Sounds like a huge amount of fun! I'm absolutely pitiful at sports, but I really enjoy the movement and playfulness that can be had, especially if no one is particularly serious about the score, etc. The trampoline sounds especially fun. And such sad news about the loss of your stepdaughter's mom. I'm very sorry to hear that.

Yesterday I got outside at lunch for a walk and tonight I did another new workout - The Abs Diet Workout. This one is a Men's Health production and it's lead by Tom Holland. Oh, and a fun bonus is that Tanja Djelevic is a background exerciser. I love her! The workout wasn't what I was expecting. It's broken up into ab work and circuit work but there are 3 abs sections (beginner, intermediate and advanced) and 3 circuit weight sections (also beg, int, adv). If you play the entire workout, it starts with the beginner abs, the beginner circuit, then the intermediate abs, intermediate circuit, etc. At first I thought it would be odd, but I actually liked it this way. It had a lot of variety and I didn't get burned out on the abs work because it was broken up with weights in between.

Mary has a DVD on her site The Abs Diet Workout for Women which is led by Jessica Smith. I was contemplating getting it (she only has 1 in stock) but I wanted to get free shipping and there really wasn't anything else that I wanted/needed. But, I did spend at least an hour on her site watching video clips. I guess there are worse ways to spend my time. Ha! I was trying to convince myself that I should like Tracie Long. I just don't find her workouts appealing.

I'm glad it's the weekend. Hope everyone has a good one.
Old 01-15-22, 07:42 AM  
horusosiris

Mickey- The ABS Diet workout with Jessica Smith is on Youtube. I too never reach for my Tracie Long workouts, even if I have all of them. I still do and like her workouts she did with The Firm.

Manelym- your school district is really struggling right now, but you seem to be rolling with the punches. When will all of this be over? I did not think that Cathe's KickMax leg conditioning section had standing calf raises. I looked at my notes on it but I may be wrong.

Cataddict
- you and DH had a ball with the grands! Grand children are the best! You can spoil them and send them home. How many grands do you have? I am joining you and Chel in dialing it back. I have changed my workout philosophy over the years. I believe that in some instances. ""less is more."
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 11:52 AM  
ChelePA

Cataddict…fun times with your grandkids!!! I always love the trampoline but it definitely has a high risk of injury depending on the situation. Former basketball player here. My favorite sport!

Manleym…school situation is crazy. Sorry for all the stress. For the high school when they’re short on teachers, they basically put them in a room with an assignment. My daughter has long-term substitutes that have never taught the subject. Lucky she didn’t want to pursue biomedical engineering. Otherwise my husband would be doing a lot of math and science to prepare for college. Her physics teacher is an English teacher and admits that he has no clue. Similar situation in math with calculus. A little crazy at the senior level.

All peloton—15 minute 60s cycling class. 15 minute barre which did 5 minutes of calf work. Definitely can tell I’m putting more weight on my good leg so I held on to the pole in our basement for balance to even out the weight bearing. 20 minute hike on treadmill. Walked much slower since the incline ranged from 7-15. Finished with Kassandra’s yoga which was core focused.
Old 01-15-22, 06:46 PM  
manleym

Cataddict, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your stepdaughter's mom. And so devastating that it was on her birthday. I'm sorry to say that her birthday will probably never be the same. I lost my dad on New Year's Eve. Losing a parent is hard enough, but on a major/special day is even harder. I'm glad they had time together. I know that you and your hubby will be a huge support for her. Please know we're praying for her (and the family) as she walks through this. Big hugs! What a fun and sweet time with the grandkids! That was a huge stress relief for your stepdaughter - knowing they were being well taken care of. Love that granny (or whatever they call you) is SMOKIN' them! You go girl! Glad nothing hurt afterwards.

Kim, there is SO MUCH out there on YT. It's overwhelming! But it can be really fun because you can work out with someone from a different country, like Caroline. I remember the days when Fitness Blender and Jessica were about the only instructors on YT. Now anyone can (and they do) post a workout.

ChelePA sadly I don't think we'll ever catch up with the loss to our education. Districts are either shutting down or trying to get warm bodies in the room. I saw on the news that one district is asking for parents to sub. It will be really hard to recover from the learning loss.

Workouts:
Friday - Caroline's Fluid Full Body Workout with Dumbbells EPIC Endgame Day 9. LOVED this one! I really liked the staple move - squat to press to bent over row to deadlift. It was a metabolic move for me, so it was a nice "throw in" between the heavy, isolated moves, which alternated UB and LB. I didn't feel like there was too much of any one move. I added on her 12 Minute 4x4 Lower Abs Workout at Home - No Equipment, which was tough after the 100 ab rep finisher from the TB workout. Finished with guided by angie 10 Min Cool Down + Stretch- end your workout right!

Today - fitness kaykay 60 Min Savage Hiit No Repeat Full Body No Equipment Power Fun Strong Super Sweaty + 10 Min Mobility Stretch - Recovery Rest Routine for Flexibility Full Body Follow Along. It was a good cardio workout, but about the same vein as Anna, or any of those type workouts. There were HIIT moves, low impact/high intensity moves, and abs. So nice variety, especially since there were no repeats.

Hugs and waves everyone! Stay warm and safe!!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 08:43 PM  
ChelePA

Cataddict…sending my sympathy to your stepdaughter and family.

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in