Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-22, 11:48 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the great ideas and motivation with this.

I have fallen away from some of my better habits in 2021 and I want to get back to them. So, I thought about the word STRUCTURE, but I was afraid I'd lose some of the good things that came from my word in 2021 - FLOW. And I don't want to be highly structured.

So now, I'm considering more of a phrase or concept than a word: The Next Right Thing. This is what I'm thinking:

Rather than a life plan, a clear vision, or a five-year list of goals, look at what to do next—and only next. I can be addicted to clarity and plans and with my husband's health issues, I really need to roll with the punches every day. So instead of absolute plans, I want to consider what it means for me to do the next right thing now, today. Not the next big thing. Not the next impressive thing. Just the next right thing in front of me.
I think that's ALSO a great idea because if one word alone doesn't guide you then whatever works is definitely the way to go!
I love the idea of a word but I can see there could be a situation when a phrase works best.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 01:07 PM  
BunnyHop

I love the whole "the next right thing" idea. So helpful in staying focused.

I've made good progress getting my old journal reviewed and my new journal started, but it's definitely ongoing. I'm trying not to wind up fixating on getting it perfect, I just want it to be a useful part of everyday life.

Somehow my magical journeys/practical realities mantra hasn't affected my decorations, but I do keep thinking about it, which is helpful.

I did add a seasonal section to my bullet journal so it's easier to see the next three months as they roll along. Over the next three months I'm going to make time for daily PM reviews, then update a spot for weekly and monthly reflections. At the end of March I'll take a look and see how this process has worked for me so I can go into the next three months with a better idea of what's working.

(With my last journal I just took things day to day and didn't do any regular monthly review. I do think skipping that was a mistake.)
Old 01-03-22, 01:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopsy View Post
oh, no no no no no. you can't change the rules now! some of us have been wracking our brains trying to find the right word :d
lol!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 02:17 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Oh, no no no no no. You can't change the rules now! Some of us have been wracking our brains trying to find the right word
Call me a rebel. Rules, guidelines, whatever - it's all good.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 02:21 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
2022 starts out with the rare and unusual Laura S. controversy...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 03:10 PM  
Messe

Quote:
A sentence I never expected to post: Laura S. is a rebel!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 12:13 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I have never chosen a word for the year but this year I will. I love the idea.
In recent times I know for sure my serenity/calmness has disappeared, I feel it. Feels like I am off balance or anxious.
One of those words I will put at the top of my workout journal (each page) and I will see it nearly every day. I am leaning towards Calm.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 08:46 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
I have never chosen a word for the year but this year I will. I love the idea.
In recent times I know for sure my serenity/calmness has disappeared, I feel it. Feels like I am off balance or anxious.
One of those words I will put at the top of my workout journal (each page) and I will see it nearly every day. I am leaning towards Calm.
I've found that choosing a word is more about keeping something in mind that is important to me, a trend I want to keep going for longer than resolutions are remembered. It sounds like you have identified the area you want to focus on and know how to keep the concept in front of you. I hope it helps you regain some balance.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-04-22, 08:49 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
2022 starts out with the rare and unusual Laura S. controversy...

Yeah, well. I'd say if this is my controversy, I really need to work on my skills. Maybe I should change my word of the year to REBEL...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-04-22, 09:54 AM  
Dancing Queen

I'm choosing FUN this year. I work full-time, I'm in grad school part-time, and I'm doing all the self-care I can just to stay afloat (exercising, reading, therapy, keeping in touch with my spouse and friends). Basically, I'm doing everything I have to do and not making time for things I want to do.

My word for the year the past few years has been FLOURISH, and I think that focusing on FUN will help me flourish this coming year. (FUN is closely related to JOY, which several people have already mentioned and which I will also be exploring this year, but I really want to dig deeper into why I deny myself FUN and be intentional about choosing at least one FUN thing to do each week that's outside of my regular routine.)
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goals, new year goals, word for the year