Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-17, 09:03 AM  
Dena
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ice Box of Pennsylvania
Organic Mattress

I am in the market for a new mattress and have decided to get an all natural, organic latex mattress. I found a couple reputable sites that I might order from:

plushbeds.com
savvyrest.com

Has anyone ordered from either of those sites? Also, has anyone switched to an all natural, organic mattress? If so, please share your experience.

Thanks!
__________________
Being able to say what you want is something most people support......until you say what others don't want to hear.
Dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 10:15 PM  
Loriann
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
I havenít bought an organic mattress although I wish we had! We bought an adjustable split king bed and mattresses at a local mattress store. The smell that came off those mattresses when they were delivered was horrific!!!

We kept them in our bedroom with the door closed, the windows open and exhaust vent in the adjoining bathroom running for 20 days before I would let us sleep on them! I also ran the air purifier in the room. I am very sensitive to odors and those mattresses stunk! Luckily we could sleep downstairs in the guest room while waiting to use our new bed.

Now, I did buy organic cotton sheets that I love from Sol Organics. You can usually find a coupon code for them, but if you canít and are interested, PM me and I will send you a referral email for a discount. I have no association with them, just one of the few places that sell organic sheets for split king beds. The quality is excellent, they are fair trade and the price is good. I also bought an organic cotton blanket form pottery barn that is very nice.

Good luck with the mattress!
Lori
__________________
Happiness really comes down to two things - gratefulness and forgiveness
Loriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 11:16 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter
 
Paula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern California
Dena, we bought an organic latex mattress about ten years ago. I can't remember the brand name. We have been sleeping on it every night for ten years and it doesn't show any signs of wear - no low spots etc. We like it and I would buy another one. You don't need box springs with a latex mattress - we got a platform bed. We couldn't find one to suit us (too low) so DH made one.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 01:50 PM  
Dena
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ice Box of Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
I havenít bought an organic mattress although I wish we had! We bought an adjustable split king bed and mattresses at a local mattress store. The smell that came off those mattresses when they were delivered was horrific!!!

Now, I did buy organic cotton sheets that I love from Sol Organics. You can usually find a coupon code for them, but if you canít and are interested, PM me and I will send you a referral email for a discount. I have no association with them, just one of the few places that sell organic sheets for split king beds. The quality is excellent, they are fair trade and the price is good. I also bought an organic cotton blanket form pottery barn that is very nice.

Good luck with the mattress!
Lori
If you really want to freak yourself out, do some research on mattresses that contain non-organic materials and chemical fire retardants. Although many people 'air them out' when they first purchase a new mattress, the chemicals off-gas for years and can have many negative effects. I will definitely PM you about the Sol Organic sheets since I'll be in the market for them as well. Thank you!
__________________
Being able to say what you want is something most people support......until you say what others don't want to hear.
Dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 01:53 PM  
Dena
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ice Box of Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Dena, we bought an organic latex mattress about ten years ago. I can't remember the brand name. We have been sleeping on it every night for ten years and it doesn't show any signs of wear - no low spots etc. We like it and I would buy another one. You don't need box springs with a latex mattress - we got a platform bed. We couldn't find one to suit us (too low) so DH made one.
That is one of the many positive comments I'm reading about organic latex mattresses -- they last a long, long time and show very little (if any) wear after years of use. I also have a platform bed but had to add a box spring because it is too low for me. Will your husband custom make one for me too?
__________________
Being able to say what you want is something most people support......until you say what others don't want to hear.
Dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 09:27 PM  
Loriann
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
If you really want to freak yourself out, do some research on mattresses that contain non-organic materials and chemical fire retardants. Although many people 'air them out' when they first purchase a new mattress, the chemicals off-gas for years and can have many negative effects. I will definitely PM you about the Sol Organic sheets since I'll be in the market for them as well. Thank you!
Ah, yes. I did all that research already after the mattresses were delivered and giving off their toxic fumes. I desperately wanted to return them but DH would have none of it. I still run the air purifier every day - probably more for the placebo effect than anything

The next time, it will be organic mattresses! It will be interesting to know which one you choose and why.
Lori
__________________
Happiness really comes down to two things - gratefulness and forgiveness
Loriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 09:52 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter
 
Lucky Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: A helluva town
I've heard great thing about organic latex mattresses. We'll be in the market for a new mattress soon and I'm looking into them myself. Will be curious to see what you choose.
__________________
~ Gina ~
"Remain cheerful, for nothing destructive can pierce through the solid wall of cheerfulness." ~Sri Chinmoy
"We are so fortunate that we get to exercise!" ~Erin O'Brien
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 08:50 AM  
Dena
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ice Box of Pennsylvania
I will certainly post what I purchased and why. Considering the hours of research I've done already, I (hope) to make a very educated decision.
__________________
Being able to say what you want is something most people support......until you say what others don't want to hear.
Dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 09:45 PM  
Loriann
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Organic bedding - sorry not much time left on this coupon, but Sol Organics is giving 35% off until 11:59 CST today. https://solorganix.com/ Code is Monday17

I really love these sheets. I have gotten organic sheets for less at Target, but these are much nicer. Also, Target doesnít have split king sheets for our adjustable bed. Sol Organics does. Just thought I would post in case anyone was interested.

Lori
__________________
Happiness really comes down to two things - gratefulness and forgiveness
Loriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 08:14 AM  
Dena
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ice Box of Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
Organic bedding - sorry not much time left on this coupon, but Sol Organics is giving 35% off until 11:59 CST today. https://solorganix.com/ Code is Monday17

I really love these sheets. I have gotten organic sheets for less at Target, but these are much nicer. Also, Target doesnít have split king sheets for our adjustable bed. Sol Organics does. Just thought I would post in case anyone was interested.

Lori
Just saw your post, Lori. It appears the code is still valid today since it's on their home page. I'll check out their selection. Thanks!
__________________
Being able to say what you want is something most people support......until you say what others don't want to hear.
Dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
latex, mattress, mattresses

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness